R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   HPI "D" compound? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/266653-hpi-d-compound.html)

dragnse7en 01-11-2009 11:07 AM

HPI "D" compound?

Hello all

I bought a set of X pattern D compound tires for one of my models. I've spent almost two hours pouring thru the threads here to find out what type of traction I can get from these, with no avail. I also looked on the internet for about half an hour, only to see results from one person's opinion.

If this topic has been covered on this site before, I apologize. I like the HPI line of 26mm tires, and would like to know what their compounds mean. Any info would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance!

Korey Harbke 01-11-2009 02:52 PM

From what I remember, the D compound is a sport/play compound. It's hard and doesn't provide the grip that some others do. The HPI pro compound is softer, and more sticky, so it should provide better overall grip. Operating temperatures I have no clue, but I still think you'd have a better shot with the pro compound.

-Korey

snoopyrc 01-11-2009 03:46 PM

Thats also the compound that HPI uses in the Vintage tires. Not the same tread but the same compound.

reenmachine 01-11-2009 04:18 PM

X-patterns are the spec tire for RCGT here in socal, and they've been working great. It's a 17.5/27T class. If you clean them well and sauce them with Paragon or Buggy Grip they're actually pretty good and last a long time. Some guys prefer D compounds and some prefer the Pro compound, and both are in the A Main of a 40-car field. The Pro compounds are grippier overall but can go off. The D compounds are harder, but stay very consistent throughout your run.

Controversy 12-02-2013 01:43 AM

Re:

Adding some information to an old thread as I too was curious about these tires.

#4790 - X-PATTERN RADIAL TIRE 26mm D COMPOUND (2pcs)

ImacFanatic 06-05-2017 07:19 PM

Tire sauce?

What works.. if any.. for d compound tires?

cementsurfer86 06-06-2017 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by ImacFanatic (Post 14945645)
What works.. if any.. for d compound tires?

For carpet, SXT 3.0, Sticky Fingers, and Jack the Gripper works good.
For outdoors, SXT, Paragon FX2, Sticky Kicks Orange.

nolan56 07-22-2017 01:35 AM

I have been puzzled by this problem for a long time. If you find any useful information just tell me.

CPFTTC4 07-27-2017 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by nolan56 (Post 14982142)
I have been puzzled by this problem for a long time. If you find any useful information just tell me.

Did you read through what everyone has been saying? Pro compound is softer and has more grip. D compound is harder but is more consistent. I personally like the D compound for pavement summer racing but run the Pro compound with Sticky Fingers on carpet during the winter.