R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Pan Car Issues "some assistance Plz"

Hello

I have a issue with my pan car spinning out.

The car hooks hard to the left when I really get on it.

I am runing an old SP12 G2

its really annoying, it only spins out to the left. I swapped the rear tires, It did the same thing. I also checked front suspension for even setting.

I think its either the diff or the rear suspension.

any ideas?
synap2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
Tech Rookie

diff could be too tight
kidcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by synap2012 View Post
Hello

any ideas?
Check out the last 10 pages or so of the 1/12th thread, there has been an on-going discussion of things to work on.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...orum-1001.html

RC10L (Pro 10, WGT), TC4, BMI DB12RR, Scalpel
Lee_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

synap2012

Other things that may help you get INFO would be if you gave a little more info yourself.

A) Type of Surface
B) Tires ie: Compound (and do they have a fresh cut, or are they old, or have they been sitting a long time)
C) Traction Compound?
D) Rear Tweak (is the back of the car setup so there is NO tweak)
E) Diff Settings (as mentioned)

Also, is this just looping when you punch the throttle, or when punching the throttle off a corner?

What MOTOR/BATTERY Combo?

All that info can help get you better info.
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Default spinning out

Ensure the rear axle is centered. Place the car on it's side and measure from the table to the center pivot or t-plate screw. Measure the other side and shim the wheel hub such that they are equal.

Ensure the car is balanced. If you run BL in a car designed for brushed you may have unbalanced the car. If so place the ESC on the right side of the car. Weight the LH and RH of the car and make equal.

Ensure the front is equal. Measure the ride height at the front with the tweak backed off. Shim the front spring if unequal.

Replace the t-plate if it's old.

Ensure the steering EPA is set equal. You want about 20 degrees of wheel throw. Make sure they are equal. Unequal will case the car to turn harder one way and maybe causing your problems.

True your tires to the same diameter the lastly tweak the car.

Good luck
Tuner EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
Tech Master

thanks for all the advice

here is where I am at now

I drove my car at the new track my hobby shop is building. Its surface is carpet, Not Ozite carpet, and Its really slick track . I made sure my tires were trued evenly and my diff was not to tight. But my car spins out to the left when I apply heavy amount of throttle. everywhere on the track(straights left and right turns. It just behaves BADLY. I am going to tear the car apart tonight and see if the chassis is bent.

Ineed help with these questions for my 1/12 pan car
-How to I tweek my chassis????
-suggestions on tires that would grip on a track w/slick non-racing carpet
-what should my roll out be between (whats highest and lowest norm)?
-what should my ride height roughly be (good starting point) in mm?
-what should I true my tires down to (starting point) in mm F/B?

To answer SWTour ___

A) Type of Surface
- indoor Carpet (not racing ozite carpet) its really slick surface !
B) Tires ie:
-not exaclty sure what compound , I think its a medium,
- fresh cut
-old foam (still in package )

C) Traction Compound?
-None, what do you suggest?
D) Rear Tweak (is the back of the car setup so there is NO tweak)
- I don't know what you are talking about, help me understand!
E) Diff Settings (as mentioned)
-I have cleaned and set the diff up with what i thought was helpful in m my crappy traction situation but not toooo loose (some wear in
between, just a bit loose mybe)
Old 01-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
Tech Master

bumb
Old 01-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
Tech Champion

To set tweak you'll need to mark the center of the chassis at the front and back. Some cars have little holes drilled in these locations. If so you can use those to balance the car as well. You'll want to balance the car first. If your car has the little holes IRS makes a set of balance buttons that work well. Move your electronics around to get it as balanced as possible left to right and add weight if you need to. Next with the tires trued put the car on a flat level surface with the tweak screws backed out. T-Plate cars will use 2 set screws at the front of the t-plate to adjust tweak, link cars will use set screws attached to a spring. Now tighten each tweak screw until it just touches the chassis or the spring just touches down. If it is balanced well this should be all the adjustment you need. But check by using an Xacto knife to lift the front of the chassis or the rear of the chassis at the center line mark that should be there. (some people prefer checking from the front, some from the rear, some from both) Both tires should lift off the ground at the same time. If they do not then adjust the tweak screws until they do. For a t-plate car slightly tighten the screw opposite of which ever tire left the surface first. For a link car slightly tighten the screw on the same side of whichever tire left the surface first.

Also if the tires are that old they probably dried out and may need replacing or you may need a different compound to work on the surface you will be running on. Sounds like you might need more grip so you might want to try pink or yellow rears. Fronts maybe lilac or purple. That setup would push for many tracks but given your lack of traction may be the ticket.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Check tweak.
redlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #10
Tech Adept

When I check tweak I find it helpful to do it with batteries installed, connected and with the body on. I began doing it without the battery connect and with the body off. It looked fine but drove badly. Only after one of the guys at the track had me connect the battery and put the body on did we find the wiring interferring with the tweak, rear shock and the steering servo motion in one direction. I used to have a lot of extra wire, man did I feel like a doof.

For traction compound I use GoJo hand cleaner, the white stuff without pumice. Odorless and cheap. Put it on the rear wheels, full width, and on the inside half of the front wheels, let it sit five to ten minutes, wipe it off, wait a few more minutes. Go drive. It might be a bit squirrlely for the first lap but handling will improve after that. So take a parctice lap before each race if you can. The other guys at our track use GoJo or Paragon Fx something or other, odorless not the wintergreen kind.

Good luck

RC10L (Pro 10, WGT), TC4, BMI DB12RR, Scalpel
Lee_123 is offline   Reply With Quote