Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USVTA TRANS-AM NATIONALS 2009

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

Very poor taste of writing when you bash a class that supports a company like hpi.... We have to run there tires, rims and bodys as a spec rulse and a "factory driver" like eric rips the class and race up and down.

If i was HPI i would highly think about removing eric from there team. Or USVTA can find some other brand of tires and rims to run and no longer support HPI.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Whoaa...

Let me clarify a few things.

I sent an email to a few guys I know at HPI. It was never ment to be publically published. I'm thinking it was posted on their site without it being fully read.

I'm working to get it fixed.

Sorry for the confusion-
Eric
Old 04-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Ooohhh yes one of the great race reports......
Old 04-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's a pretty acurate write up. It may not put VTA in a super positive light, but he reported on exactly what happend - people drove through cars.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You know what helped me from being hacked at the start, especially after qualifying 1st or 2nd?

WHOLE LOTTA PUNCH!

It's hard to get hit if no one can catch you! I purposely set my punch control to "modified" and did some screwing around with the throttle trim and exponential. I'd say 60-75% of my throttle input is within the first few millimeters of the trigger's travel. That way, when the tone sounds I can jump out a few feet ahead. Running drag brake helps from rear-ending people, too.

But in all seriousness, there's a difference between aggressive driving and being a hack. I can't recall one time actually being "hacked". Cutting inside and doing a little rubbin' or riding on someone's rear end is just how this class can be. Some people like it and some don't, plain and simple.

But remember, this isn't the company's opinion, only an EMPLOYEE of the company. Perhaps they should add a clause indicating that.

I'm just glad HPI was there to sponsor the event and provide freebies. If you're still pissed at HPI, just send all of those tires, bodies, and t-shirts to me
Old 04-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cwoods34
But remember, this isn't the company's opinion, only an EMPLOYEE of the company. Perhaps they should add a clause indicating that.
Sorry, but this is not true. I do not work at HPI. I am not sponsored by HPI.

The post on the HPI site was soley my personal race report, and as I posted earlier, it got published on their site without it being fully read at their end.

The post on the HPI site will be fixed today.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by xevias
It's a pretty acurate write up. It may not put VTA in a super positive light, but he reported on exactly what happend - people drove through cars.
The write up is not accurate as to how the whole event unfolded. There was also some of the best racing that I have seen up front in the mains in a long time. Yes at the back of the packs of the mains it can get dicey but its that way with all racing. The guys up front ran clean from all the mains that I watched. The guys at the tail ends of the mains some times never really race clean and are making mistakes and that’s why they are back there and not up front. I know this was my case in the mains. I qualified second over all and yet I drove really crappy in the mains. Was I hacked or taken out sure did I hack or take someone out sure but I didn’t do any of it with intent. I just wasn’t driving that well and I attribute all of the times I was taken out or what ever to the same thing. I didn’t see anyone deliberately driving around peeling people off the track. Yes there was some bad driving but again this wasn’t the ROAR NATIONALS….even there I'm sure the C mains are not spotless races….heck from all the Nats that I have been too even the A mains are never really spot less clean races. So I don’t really know why people are making a big deal about this now when the majority of the racing was clean and the majority had a good time. I really think a lot of you guys are missing the big picture here. You are painting a picture that it was a complete hack fest and wasn't a good race. When really there was some awesome races being raced in the mains and in the qualifiers. Its sad when a lot of people put forth a lot of effort to put on an event like this and people are just so short sighted that they don't look past their own bad day to see how the whole day turned out for the majority of the people.

Again Hats off to Eric and his family at The Track and Thanks to all the real people at HPI for all the support I had a great time at the race and Im looking forward to next years race.....or hack fest....
Old 04-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

I think that all the people on here bashing the race cause they didnt do as well as they had thought is very funny... Did you guys ever stop to think that the layout was very tight and it took a great deal of skill to run up front at this event. The tight layout did cause alot of the action and door banging and bumping and grinding. The layout was what it was and we just have to move past this point some are trying to make about everyone not having manors on the drivers stand. At one point during my b main I followed a car I had lapped twice already for 2 laps before he crashed.... Part of the time guys were getting peeled was they just plain did not move out of the way for a guy during qualifying. The mains were pretty clean for the most part, and the 50 lap events were very clean except for the start, but the start is the start and thats how they are in trans am.

Instead of bashing the class, just stop racing it, move to another class. There are plenty of different types of racing going on. 90% of the guys loved the race, so why ruin it cause you didnt have fun.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good point Kevin - I agree. Just didn't want to see Eric get destroyed for his opinion. I stand corrected. Keeping in mind the overall attitude of the entire day, you are right.

What is confusing about the hacking or peeling or whatever you guys call it -is that just in the two posts above, one person says it was mostly clean then the next person says slower cars had to get bumped out of the way. It's also confusing that everyone accepts that the start of a VTA race has to be a chaotic, marshall-scrambling wreck. Why? Tap the freaking brakes.

The racing was great, I had fun. I finished right about where I thought I would. Why the "If you don't like it, get out attitude?" Nobody is bashing the class, they are concerned that the rough driving will attract less interest or even divert people away from the class. It's just constructive critism with the hopes that it will be addressed rationally to keep the Spirit of VTA alive.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by xevias
Good point Kevin - I agree. Just didn't want to see Eric get destroyed for his opinion. I stand corrected. Keeping in mind the overall attitude of the entire day, you are right.

What is confusing about the hacking or peeling or whatever you guys call it -is that just in the two posts above, one person says it was mostly clean then the next person says slower cars had to get bumped out of the way. It's also confusing that everyone accepts that the start of a VTA race has to be a chaotic, marshall-scrambling wreck. Why? Tap the freaking brakes.

The racing was great, I had fun. I finished right about where I thought I would. Why the "If you don't like it, get out attitude?" Nobody is bashing the class, they are concerned that the rough driving will attract less interest or even divert people away from the class. It's just constructive critism with the hopes that it will be addressed rationally to keep the Spirit of VTA alive.
I understand it his opinion and he has every right to it just like I do to rebuff his accusations in his opinion. The race was run too well and too many people had a good time to have one persons jaded opinion be the voice of the entire race and class by someone who has never even raced this class before.

The starts are just that Starts not all races start clean every time....they were not all clean I will give you that. The problem with using brakes is if the guy behind you isn't going to use them then you are going to get did in when you use yours. I know in the third qualifier I had to use my brakes on the start and the re-start and I got peel both times. So after that I didn't use them at the start anymore...lol. I used them plenty while racing. The other thing too I would like to see the class go to solid drive train rules....NO ONE-Ways.....they are murder a lot of times. I personally only run a spool because I cant race close to someone with a 1-way with out peeling them.

I don't think anyone should leave the class. I was just making the point that its racing there will be times of bumping and grinding and if this isn't something you like well then Slot Cars may be more what you are looking for.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Tech Master

The HPI boys revised the post on their site.

Thanks for the heads up on this, and sorry for the trouble. This was not my intent at all.

regards-
Eric
Old 04-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Sorry, I didn't know. I just assumed and that was stupid of me!

But either way I was trying to help illustrate that one person's opinion doesn't necessarily dictate the thinking of EVERYBODY.

The layout was tricky, but I LOVED it personally. It was very different from what I typically race on, and the launch ramps/red burms were a blast, although I know they cost some people positions and/or parts. For someone like me, I get just as much enjoyment watching my car launch into the air as when I am racing well.

I don't know about a majority of the people, but I love this class because every time I race VTA I have fun. To me, that's all that matters!

I'm already anticipating next year's Nationals My goal next time will be to crack the B-Main. If 12 more months of tuning and practice don't get me there, then by golly there isn't any hope haha
Old 04-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

well I hope we all take something from the event and return next year... I glad at the race overall, but Im still new to "HEADS-UP" starts...so I dont think I made it into T1 without getting spun-out or hit in all 6 races...even when I started in the top 5..but Im not mad just wondering will a different type of starting would help clean things up a little..at least in qualifiers..

Nash starts us one at a time where we are on our own clock..which is great for our crowd...I dont know how that would work on a national level..but just an alternative to getting a clean start..or corner..lol
Old 04-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TC_Tuner

The post on the HPI site was soley my personal race report, and as I posted earlier, it got published on their site without it being fully read at their end.

The post on the HPI site will be fixed today.
thats cool...oh yeah what about the pics in the magazine...you know my pic would draw some "Urban" intrest..lol...j/k...

but I do want a pic...
Old 04-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Tech Champion

What about some video and pics...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.