R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #196
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

As a club manager and ex stock touring class racer I guess the best answer is that this type of racing has no bearing whatsoever on the class your in. It has to do more with the management of the event AND more importantly with the overall skill level of the drivers in it. RC events as a whole aren't chock full of folks who are professionals and they shouldn't be BUT..part of learning to race on any level should be a proper education on sportsmanship. Race promoters, club managers and other racers have an obligation to teach AND reinforce (maybe even enforce) sportsmanship. If a driver doesn't know whats acceptable then they'll never understand and probably won't strive to become a better driver. IMO, VTA is a great venue to create better drivers. Your statements may be true to a certain extent but the effort would be better served by talking to the drivers rather than saying bad driving is a trait of any particular class.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #197
Regional Moderator

As as example, I give you the VTA A Main at Round 4 of the Northeast Grand Slam Series. Check out the video here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/5511814-post988.html
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #198
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

And the point is what?? Who made any effort to change it?? If you were there did you talk to the offending drivers ? God knows there are plenty of ugly situation in other classes. There are always going to be those with lesser skills and those who just don't understand......YET. The point is simple....you can do something to help and it has NOTHING to do with this particular class. No flaming meant, just trying to point you in a more constructive direction. We've all been there and I can guarantee some of us already know there are drivers with no respect for sportsmanship. Help to change it when you can.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #199
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
As as example, I give you the VTA A Main at Round 4 of the Northeast Grand Slam Series. Check out the video here:

I'll defend VTA racing. Great video, everyone is laughing and having fun, thats what racing 1/10th scale cars on "1/18th scale" tracks is all about!

If you want that "pardon me old chap, may I pass?" racing, go race full scale vintage or F1.
tgardner41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #200
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post

"get creative!"
Old 04-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #201
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Final Standings

Gentlemen, here are your final standings in the triple mains for all groups.

I want to thank everyone once again who made it this year and hope everyone had a wonderful time with all the little things we had come up.

Lots of great looking cars in the concourse judging, thank you Paul, Rick and Hienrich for judging.

Special Thanks to Colin Cocores from HPI/Hot Bodies with all the raffle prizes and the sneak peek at the new HPI CF Cup Racer. I ordered some kits today

Thanks also to Sean Colburn, Mike Hodge and Jeff Mocyzinski for working the tech area. Sherry and Bill at Whistling Pete's for doing such a nice job on the shirts.

Mike Larsen, Bill "this is on sale today" Miller , Rich Murphy and Lynn for helping out anytime I ask.

Of course we cannot forget Mr.Johnson for the hugs when we need them the most.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf USVTA 2009 Points.pdf (30.9 KB, 302 views)
Old 04-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #202
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgardner41 View Post
I'll defend VTA racing. Great video, everyone is laughing and having fun, thats what racing 1/10th scale cars on "1/18th scale" tracks is all about!

If you want that "pardon me old chap, may I pass?" racing, go race full scale vintage or F1.
+1
After running a lot of 1/12, VTA is a nice FUN class. There is a big difference between intentional hacking and a little fender rubbing. As slow and closely powered as VTA is it leads itself to close proximity racing. At our club track it is that rubbing that everyone laughs over, even those being rubbed. I do agree it is up to those in charge to keep it civil and not allow it to get to a hack fest, not to mention the racers need to know who to race hard and who to give a wide berth too.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #203
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

sounds like a hackfest from some of the reports I heard... sorta making me sad that I.... I mean Dirty Dirla missed it. while I try to drive and pass clean in our local TA racing. ask speedster that when I finally got by him I did wait till he made a mistake or go wide and passed. although I did barge past JXL but he was off his game in our main last Sunday and I expected him not to be going so slow when I did hit him. I did say I was sorry about it after. this is not to say that last summer I didn't peel second place as I lapped him on our Wednesday night racing. it was just the thing to do to batman aka darkside. and as for how I got my new nickname at snowbirds I peeled greg ronja as he was waiting to fall in behind to try to peel me. so you will find people that don't take TA serious and you will find people that take it too seriously as a real race event to be driven with respect to the other drivers. if I don't know you in TA I won't peel you. but if I know your just out having fun and don't really care how you finish I will plow with extreme prejudice. if you don't like go race in a real class this is for fun by my account. even though haynes cheats to win.... j/k mike
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #204
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgardner41 View Post

That's what most people in my area have been treating this class as... a "fun" class. Even though there are serious TC racers in it, they put their egos aside for a little fun. Nothing wrong with that. As someone else stated, it's the on-road version of the Slash class. I hardly ever hear laughing in TC or 1/12 scale during the race, but I do in VTA. And that's a good thing (the laughing part).
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #205
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Evoracer and TC_Tuner,

I agree with you on driving educate. I've been to one big race for VTA and was surprised at how many times I was taken out. I may not be the fastest guy on the track, but out of 35 cars I was a low A main driver. Due to some over aggressive drivers I was booted a few too many times to make that realization come true and ended up in the B.

There is not a single class out there in RC racing that would be classified as the crash and bang class unless you make it clear in the rules beforehand that this is the case. People are out there to race and to try and win. Even Slash has gotten out of control. To many beginners start out in these spec class with NO guidance from the race director on how to race. This makes it frustrating for the experienced driver who wants to compete in a closely matched racing class, which is what spec racing is all about.

Good drivers should also be respectful to the slow driver. At a big race like this the race director should give a warning for rough driving and then start docking laps if it continues. Again everyone is out to have fun and enjoy the racing experience and being rough housed by an over aggressive good driver makes you want to quit.
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #206
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
+1
After running a lot of 1/12, VTA is a nice FUN class. There is a big difference between intentional hacking and a little fender rubbing. As slow and closely powered as VTA is it leads itself to close proximity racing. At our club track it is that rubbing that everyone laughs over, even those being rubbed. I do agree it is up to those in charge to keep it civil and not allow it to get to a hack fest, not to mention the racers need to know who to race hard and who to give a wide berth too.
Agreed.....the slower speeds mean closer racing.

The other thing that people that dont race this class all the time have to remember is that these VTA cars are very top heavy most times with the heavy bodies. It doesnt take much to make a car roll over and look like a crazy peel job when really it was just a racing bump. Plus this weekend at the Nats there were some "curbs of death" and if you put a wheel on them it was a crap shoot to see if you would end up on all 4 wheels or end up on your lid. So its really hard to say that ALL the crashing was a result of poor driving or guys just being a victim circumstance. Also this weekends race was with about 90% pure club racers with a few guys that race at the national level thrown in so the racing isnt always going to be perfect.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #207
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Any pictures of the track layout?
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:01 PM   #208
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here are some thoughts about poor driving that I saw from the race.

Due to the layout, there were sections of the track that made it tough to pass. However, there were sections of the track that were easy to pass on. What was missing from some of the drivers in the A and B main was a little patience.

I did see a few instances of drivers showing sportmanship and waiting if they accidently wrecked a driver they passed, but I would have liked to see more from the drivers in the A and B mains. I will attribute part of the aggressive driving to the fact that cars 5-25 were fairly evenly matched.

Overall I would like to see a little more guidance from the VTA organizers on what type of sportmanship they would like to see from the driver's in this class. Guidance that can be given to race directors to help keep some of the intential poor driving from detracting from this otherwise strong class.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #209
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The way I see it if you want everyone trainup and run in a line racing run TC,if you want door banging,fender to fender fun run transam,there is enough attitude and fighting in this sport as it is,transam is a release and a hell of a good time,I was in that video posted above and it was the best time I have had on the track in a long time,even Mike Haynes who had the bulleye put on his back was laughing so hard it was tough to drive.

Since when does 0=9?
Tread1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #210
Tech Adept

My son started racing last year. After attending the Novak race this year and seeing the VTA class I decided I would give it a try. As a new racer myself I have to say if the racing at the Novak had been like that video I would still be a spectator. VTA is the perfect class to bring new racers into the sport. If the new racers are getting hacked on by the seasoned veterans my guess is they will not be in the hobby long. I am sure as a new racer I will be doing plenty of unintentional bumping, hacking, etc. But I will try to learn from my mistakes and do better. If the racing turns into a bash fest what do you think the new racers coming into the sport will do when they move up to TC or some other class. My vote is if you want to bash do it in the parking lot and leave it off of the track.

IMHO

JJ
88crewchief is offline   Reply With Quote