R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-20-2003, 02:54 PM   #511
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey Guy's,
need your advice and help. I decided my Evo 2 wasn't as free spinning as I would like so for the first time I tried flushing the bearings with WD-40 and re-lubing with Trinity Royal Oil. I replaced the stock metal shielded bearings with a rubber sealed set out of my tb-01. I also flushed out the diffs and re-lubed the gears with White Lightning dry lube. My question is....Shouldn't this drivetrain be very free and smooth?? The guy's with the Evo 3 are saying they can spin the wheels and the drivetrain spins for like 10 seconds. thats without wheels and no pinion mesh. My car won't spin for even 3 seconds. When turning the axle shafts slowly, every thing feels fine...no grinding..no noises. It's all stock with the front one way. What can i do?? Or maybe this drivetrain is different from the Evo 3?? My buddies TC3 is embarassing me...his drivetrain is VERY free and spins for a good 10 seconds. Thanks
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 03:05 PM   #512
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to corvette3c5r

I'm assuming you're running with out the pinion on the motor. How many times have you run your car? My evo II is running very smooth and free. I soaked all my bearings in wd-40 overnight. then i let them dry on a towel for a while. Then I just ran 3 or 4 battery packs through it and the car was free spinning.
corvette3c5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 03:38 PM   #513
Tech Elite

Corvette, did you lube the bearings after soaking them ?? If so, with what?? This car has been run a number of times and has even won a few. The pinion was removed. when you say your's is spinning free...describe what you mean ?? Thanks
Old 02-20-2003, 03:44 PM   #514
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to corvette3c5r

Nah i just soak the bearings in wd40 and let the outside dry up before installing them. I don't relube them with any oils or grease. I have never had a problem with gritty or rusted bearings. I soak the bearings everytime i rebuild my car completely. It works great!
corvette3c5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 08:29 PM   #515
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Hi Guys

If you were to choose between a TA04 PRO (box stock but fitted with servo shocks) and TB Evolution 1(also box stock), which would you keep?

I'm still wondering which car performs better as I haven't driven the 04 yet.

Thanks
rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 03:45 AM   #516
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to fabolousRC Send a message via Yahoo to fabolousRC

I have a TA04S that I convert with double CF saddle chassis. I have not convert the front diff into a front one way yet but I liked the car when I change the spur and pinion to the regular 64 pitch. TA04 fully loaded with battery and electronics are not that much lighter than TB Evo I. I've seen a buddy of mine that run a TA04 Pro and ran pretty well on unprepared parking lot stock that plus the price is more reasonable compare to TB Evo I. You will going to spend A LOT OF MONEY upgrading TA04 Pro, though whereas the TB EVO I came fully loaded with the options.

that's my two cents...

Lex Tyler Paints \ Norcal Hobbies \ Bay Area Peninsula R/C Club
fabolousRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 04:28 AM   #517
Tech Elite

Thanks for the reply...

I see from your signature that you have also owned both TBEvo1 and TBEvo2.

Which one is better performance wise? I'm also eyeing a TBEVO2. From what I read, the EVO2's might have a more efficient drivetrain owing to the ablity to slide the suspension arms such that the universal joint/shaft is almost straight. I also like the Aluminum suspension mount and bulkhead although some of the people who posted in this thread say it's a bad thing.

I already have a TBEVO1. Which of the two cars do you prefer?

Thanks again...
Old 02-25-2003, 02:30 AM   #518
Tech Fanatic

I have not had the chance to race either of them. I left my Tb evo 1 before I moved to NV and I haven't had the chance to test the Evo II because I just started my new job and the local carpet track won't be ready for awhile plus I'm lagging on building the batteries too.

The main difference and most notable between the two are as follows:
*Evo2's expanded suspension adjustability and camber range (Evo1 is limited to the space in between the ball ends and the actual arm as the Evo2 is actually using an adjustable turnbuckle link)
*Evo2 is stiffer (the aluminum bulk head over the plastic ones on Evo1 plus the addition of harder material suspension parts)
*(get this) Evo2 is the porkiest of all three TB Evo series (cuz of those bulkie bulks lolz)

Old 02-27-2003, 01:24 AM   #519
Tech Fanatic

This place is a little dead, isn't it?

Old 02-27-2003, 06:16 AM   #520
Tech Fanatic

tell me bout it... :P
guess with the evo3 out, everyone switched over...
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 06:24 PM   #521
Tech Elite

Any tricks for freeing up the TB Evolution 1? Anybody tried the aerosol Super Lube on bearings?

I just dismantled my EVO1 and will start re-assembly tonight. Funny thing, I soaked the bearing in WD40 for 5 minutes. After drying, the bearings now feel gritty. LHS is too far and no time to go there. Will have to try Super-Lube for the meantime.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:11 AM   #522
Tech Fanatic

do you have any dremel machine? Here is what I heard in the grapevine...the gearbox on the TB Evos 1 n 2 is too tight making the gear is not as free as the one in regular TBs (I think the same would be acknowledge with the new Evo 3 gear box. I'm going to get some dremel soon and I will tore my gearboxes apart. Then I will take about up to 2mm at the most on both upper and lower wells of the gearbox (as less of material as possible). The way that the front and rear diff rings were made too soft to begin with and as the torque applied by the motor those rings vibrates to a certain extent which does not affect the regular TB01 gearbox but the way Tamiya (unintentionally) designed the Evo gearbox made it so that when it vibrates, the ring gear surface hits the gearbox wall and that will create drag. Two theories comes up to cure that problem. One, is to balance the diff ring gear before you install it into the car. The one way diff is easy but the ball diff isn't. Second, like I mentioned above, is to grind away that minimal clearance stock gearboxes. You don't want to take away too much because that will weakened the gearbox.

Old 02-28-2003, 08:37 AM   #523
jpn
Tech Master

Default evo2 diff

Is there a lightweight ball diff for the evo2 available?
It seems to be a good car but compared to my evo3
the drivetrain seems much heavier. Just for fun I'm
trying to make my evo 2 accelerate as close as possible
to my evo3 with the same final drive ratio.

HIROBO EAGLE3 SWM Y.S.91 SR - HIROBO Freya EX2 Y.S.91 SR - HIROBO Turbulence D3 90 O.S.91HZ - HIROBO LEPTON - ALIGN Trex 600N PRO Novarossi C50-H2 - COPTER X V2 - Futaba 12MZH
jpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 01:26 PM   #524
Tech Elite

Hey Guy's,
Haven't looked through the thread history but ...Is there an adaptor for the spur gear available?? I'd like to be able to use a kimbrough or RW 48 pitch spur. Suggestions on Appropriate number of teeth?? Thanks. Dino
Old 02-28-2003, 01:32 PM   #525
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eeyan Send a message via Yahoo to eeyan

I've been using the Cross Racing gear adaptor eversince the first TB-01 came out. Worked flawlessly with the TB Evolution and Evolution II too. However, it might be hard to get the part now as news came out a month ago that the Cross Racing factory in Japan burned to the ground due to arson. Fortunately, I was able to buy two of these in 2000 to fit in my cars.

I also have the Evo III and it looks like the gear adaptor for this car will also fit the previous versions...