R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-25-2002, 10:56 AM   #436
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Mike F
Default TB EVO III

Note the Battery placement and where the motor is now mounted. Is that the only difference in the II and III? Will this be available in the US?

Quote:
Originally posted by x414x
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 11:02 AM   #437
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Re: TB EVO III

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike F
Note the Battery placement and where the motor is now mounted. Is that the only difference in the II and III? Will this be available in the US?
No..the aluminum bulkheads are gone..making the car 40gr. lighter. uses same C-blocks as the 414m2. wheelbase is adjustabe in both front and rear arms. new Front one-way assembly more durable than before, redesigned spur gear mount, lighter motor mount, etc.

and yes should be available in the US. probably early part of 2003. but it will available for sale in Japan early Dec. '02.
probably cheaper to order one from Japan. Wishing to get one for Christmas...

for more pics see:
http://www.teamjoybox.com/hs02_tamiya.html
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 11:08 AM   #438
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Mike F
Default Re: Re: TB EVO III

Quote:
Originally posted by rc-zombies

and yes should be available in the US. probably early part of 2003. but it will available for sale in Japan early Dec. '02.
probably cheaper to order one from Japan. Wishing to get one for Christmas...
Hmmm......I have a friend in Japan
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 06:56 PM   #439
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey where'd everybody go? no new news lately I gather... I havent been able to go racing either...bad weather.:P
I did get a chance to rebuild it all though... smooth smooth smooth!
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 07:18 PM   #440
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Tamiya really that good !!??

Ok folks, here's where I ask the really tough and sometimes insulting questions about Tamiya cars. Here's the deal..... I truly do appreciate the beauty of construction and the fine detail...BUT... After running a TL01, a TA04s,A TA04r and now a TB2...Am I missing something or are these cars kind of fragile?? The TL01 shed the C hub screws more than I can count..The 04 camber links kept popping off at the slightest hint of a bump and am I the only one who strips way to many screw holes on what appears to be way to soft plastic parts? I really want to stay with Tamiya but during a diff cleaning on my TB2,the mounting holes for the lower diff half stripped.A 400 dollar car should not be that easy to damage!!! Is it just me ? Is this "softness" in Tamiya parts normal? Should I learn to be more gentle? Somebody help!!! Whats the secret to having a less frustrating relationship with these cars? Need your advice before my frustration forces me to make all my Tamiya cars "For Display Only" Thanks
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 07:27 PM   #441
Tech Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to ecenshu
Default rcpigz: R u the Hulk? =)

I would say that you might be stronger than you thought! =)
Really, most RC cars are built with soft parts for a reason. Maybe the diff housing doesnt need to be screwed THAT tight, I usually find that i can stop tightening as soon as the screw bottoms out. I've managed to strip the screw holes in my TC3 as well, the easy fix is to drop some CA in the hole then re thread it. If you dont tighten it too hard, the worst that could happen is more frequent rebuilds but most parts fit really nicely together so the dirt/dust prevention is pretty good.
ecenshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 07:41 PM   #442
Tech Elite

Thanks Ecenshu, You have a point....i could be a bit to rough. I have raced a TC3 before and rarely ever stripped anything. Not saying the TC3 is better than Tamiya. Most recent competition car is a Schumacher Mission. Must say that it has been bulletproof. Have you had problems with your Tamiya's?? I guess I'm wondering why they choose to use Plastic in critical locations where others are using composite?
Old 11-13-2002, 07:51 PM   #443
Tech Initiate

My TB2 hasnt had any problems, apart from the camber links popping off. I just try to hit less things (Improves my driving a lot!). Plus I actually prefer that the links pop off then breaking something else. My TC3 breaks arms like theres no tomorow but never has a ballcup popped off. Balcups are cheaper than arms, but if you want to stop the ballcups popping off I suggest replacing them with RPM ballcups, They seem to be stiffer and less prone to falling off.

<quote>why they choose to use Plastic in critical locations where others are using composite</quote>

My guess is that Tamiya produces more plastic parts and has mor expertise in that area than composites, but plastic flexes and composites don't. Thats the reason Tamiya cars are so robust! (Robust as in impacts, high impuse forces as to the problem you're having is different)
Old 11-13-2002, 08:04 PM   #444
Tech Elite

Ecenshu,Can i ask why you bother with the TC3? BTW...I do remember going through a few arms and such. Had any experience with the TB01 as a rally car?? Wondering if it's worth setting up to run on our new Rally track. Actually the Off Road track infield.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:12 PM   #445
Tech Initiate

I run the TC3 in the superstock(ROAR stock) with my GF. She wants to know when she beats me it's due to the drivers skill not the car =)
The TB2 I run sometimes in MOD but I still suck so I mainly use the TC3. Plus parts are easier to get for the TC3 where I am so I if I break stuff(which I do) its easier to repair =)

Sorry, never had any experience with rally. I did race 4WD offroad for a while but thats the limit of my experience.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:32 PM   #446
Tech Elite

Thanks for your input.Much appreciated. Anybody else out there? Any hardcore Tamiya drivers with some advice?
Old 11-13-2002, 11:47 PM   #447
TK
Tech Initiate

ecenshu I dont run a TC3 but I was reading that you say u break alot of arms. I highly suggest picking up the new TC3 bumper from RPM it protects the whole front much better then the stock bumper and I have seen alot of people go through less arms with the bumper then without.

Sorry to the rest for posting a non TB II question or coment

TK
TK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 10:51 AM   #448
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to fabolousRC Send a message via Yahoo to fabolousRC

I would say Tb Rally is pretty durable for offroading except the current suspension setup is a bit too soft and short on travel side. You might find yourself bottoming out more often than you like. I have not try the Long arms setup on it yet but for bashing, the car is pretty satisfying. You don't even need a quicker motor to enjoy it. As long as you have nickel metal hydride battery on board, the silver can LOVED it. Tires wise, it is a bit on the hard side and it doesn't provide so much of a gravel traction. You can try to switch to either the Kyosho Alpha rally tires, the HPI rally mediums, the HPI pirellis, or the Proline Rally Boss for better grip. The steering will be come sloppy over time so after awhile, you might want to look into those TG10 aluminum steering link conversion. The plastic material on the stock setup is just too soft for bashing. If you have extra TL01 screw on suspension hinge pin, put them on too. They help a lot on the suspension slopiness. I don't know what Tamiya thinking when they design the stock TB suspension. You don't have to worry about the arms, though, They are SOLID. Gearing wise, the stock pinion is good for acceleration on the dirt. However, if you want to pick up speed, anything above 16 teeth is good. 19 teeth from TL01 is better. You will not lose a lot of acceleration by much. Speed will definitely pick up as soon as you switch motors. I have a double deck setup for my TB01 with P2K2 stock motor on it. I was using 23/61 gearing where I have a lot of acceleration with plenty of juice left for top speed but I topped out quickly on the backstraight. Right before I was selling my car, I was using 25/61 and I can keep up and pass anyone as long as I didn't make any mistakes. The motor is still warm enough to touch for more than three seconds meaning I can still gear the car higher. I have not try this setup with the stock tub chassis, though. You do need to purchase the aluminum motor mount because the plastic mount just would not hold it. Hmmm what else would I suggest...oh...run your body higher than recommended and adjust your rear camber longer (wider) than what the manual recommends, you'll see what I mean after you're done with the kit or the way you see it right now.

Lex Tyler Paints \ Norcal Hobbies \ Bay Area Peninsula R/C Club
fabolousRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 03:29 AM   #449
Tech Regular

So far, my race ready Evo2 weighs just 1550grams. I will post the pic soon
RetroTamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 12:42 AM   #450
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AQuionIV Send a message via Yahoo to AQuionIV
Default EVO 2

Just got my Evo 2 from Hong Kong shipped here a few days ago. I love the car! It's beautiful. I just hate the fact that gayhole hobby stores here in San Diego don't carry parts for the TB Evo2! THEY BARELY HAVE PARTS FOR MY 414!! now how sad is that? I'm still waiting for my 3pj, so I can run it. Anyone know where the closest place in san diego, that I could find parts? I wouldn't mind traveling up to LA or anything either. I used to own a TC3, but that thing went bye bye for this Evo. I can't wait to run it, but I'm taking all the precautions than I can. heheh. Love to see there are more TB Evo2s out there=). For me it was love at first sight. I saw only ONE of them ever race, and it ran as beautifully as it looked. I just had to have one:-).
AQuionIV is offline   Reply With Quote