R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Tamiya TB-Evolution II (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/2656-tamiya-tb-evolution-ii.html)

a4don 02-22-2002 04:55 PM

Yup, got a few things from him and the EVO II from Stellamodels. They both seem to carry the same products. Their prices vary a little, so I just look to see who has the better price on the item I want.

TRF-Powered 02-22-2002 05:05 PM

that's the thing... I think they are the same person. Or maybe married to each other or something. Their price are identical. and sometimes if their stuff don't sell, they often drive one price really low, and one high. And people are start buying again. But who cares anyway. their price are just awsome, compare to the price in the state.

Dragon 02-23-2002 09:20 AM

to those of u who have bought a evo1 or 2, and using futaba servos.......

that screw that comes with the Evo 1 and 2 which the instructions say its for the futaba servo.....does it fit at all?

TRF-Powered 02-23-2002 10:24 AM

If it's metal gear servo, forget the screw come with the kit. It won't fit and if you force it to fit, you will be left with a stripped gear.

you need the screws that are for metal gears if you have a metal gear servo. I think the name for the one that come with the kit is the "tapping screw" which is for plastic gear.

Hope this helps

Ivan 02-24-2002 09:14 AM

shockwave, about the krp pics.. very nice upper deck. Who makes those?

TRF-Powered 02-26-2002 02:03 AM

Hi,

I just wonder if any of you upgraded your EVO's linkage to turnbuckle tie-rod. If so, what size did you use? (for EvO II).

I can't seem to find the exact size of turnbuckles for the car.

Dragon 02-26-2002 07:22 AM

haha, up till now, i still do not know what is a tie rod....:D

Aluma 02-26-2002 12:05 PM

I love the way mine looks too... :)

but I guess I had set the diff too loose cuz i didn't have any brakes for a while.... I tighten it up and got some brake....

At any rate, Its MUCH faster than my TL01 car using the same motor and gear ratio.

TRF-Powered 02-26-2002 09:10 PM

Anyone using tie-rods on their Evo??? anyone?

lem2 02-27-2002 01:35 AM

I do!!!!

I do!!!

I got adjustable steering linkage for the TL01 and used the long screws!!

For the c-hub I used the kingpin ball cup of the TAO4-R (just do not screw it fully)

DrDiff 02-27-2002 07:57 AM

Rally in the USA TCS series.

Tamiya has announced a rally class. But limited it to TB-01, TL01 and TA-03 tubbed chassis.

So... I was thinking Get a TB Evo II and get the TB-01 tub, combine and have all the hopups at once?

Am I thinking logically or am I way off in La La Land?

TRF-Powered 02-27-2002 01:01 PM

DrDiff,

You are off in la la land.

TB EVOI/II are different car from the TB01. Everything about the cars are different. the only thing that they share is probably the shaft drive system. However, their gear boxs are different too.

Hop-up a TB01, will probably be enough for you to buy 2 Evos.

so, why not just get a EVOI/II and race in mod?

Dragon 02-28-2002 03:53 AM

Originally posted by TRF-Powered

so, why not just get a EVOI/II and race in mod?

i think because he wants to play rally class....

a4don 03-04-2002 01:11 PM

What size pinions and spurs are you guys using on the EVO II? And with which motor? I just wanted to get some examples. TIA

AO 03-05-2002 07:46 PM

free play

To me. i feel that evo II has more free play than evo I. But both are very good cars.

TRF-Powered 03-06-2002 04:56 AM

a4don:

for stock racing, 36 pinion with 88 spur works GREAT for me.... the track is mid size track.

For larger track... i use 39 pinion with 88 spur.. it works fine... I haven't really been running on the big tracks lately to find what's perfect...

just try it out yourself.... asking for gear ratio is really usless, since it depends on so many different things. for example, the track you are running on, the motor you are using (even for stock motor each motor is very different). for the best result, Try it yourself. The car should be at it's max speed when it reach the end of the longest straight that you are running on.

cantbestopped44 03-07-2002 06:37 PM

whats good

I am either going to get a tc3 or t1 with a p2k2 pro. Later I am going to move up to modified but for a beginner like me i am starting with stock. The track that I race on is carpet. I am either probably going to buy a lrp 7.1 or the mtroniks m-sonik dash. WHich one is better? do you have any different recommendations.

Dragon 03-12-2002 08:23 AM

Get the LRP Quantum Competition, or try out the new Futaba Professional 800.....;)

Alvin 03-12-2002 08:37 AM

Between the 7.1 and the Mtroniks, I'd choose the 7.1 It seems like a very reliable ESC.

Mtroniks i've used their RZ before, tons of punch, however, they tend to make my batteries run very hot. Runtime is slightly decreased due to it, but mine runs more than 5 mins, sufficient for 5 min races.

The 7.1 should perform adequately in stock (we run 23T stockers here), i'm sure it can take mods too, my friend runs a Trinity P94 9x2 on his :sneaky:

BTW, why are you posting getting a TC3 or T1 here, odd place, no? :)
I'd take the TC3, assuming the parts support is better than the T1. Else, id' take the T1. The Xray T1 is really a piece of r/c art, but setting it up can be a pain in the ass, especially since you mentioned you do not have esc yet i'd hazard a guess you do not have acquired the setup tools for it.

Dragon: Is your Quantum Competition back from repairs? I did not see you at the tamiya race :sneaky: Your TBEVO and QComp/3PJS combo should be kicking some major ass, no?

Dragon 03-12-2002 07:19 PM

Nope its not back yet.....fustrating.....i wonder whose fault is it, toycar or the factory in germany....this event has caused me to lose confidence in this brand....and so im sourcing for futaba instead.....

and no i didnt go.....even if i did, i wouldnt be the one kicking, but being kicked :D....if i know it is a lose lose situation, i wont go ahead with it.....

Kenneth Tan 03-12-2002 08:01 PM

Dragon, how did the quantum got spoiled?

Ivan 03-12-2002 08:17 PM

If anyone wants to sell their faulty escs, please pm me or email me. Thanks!

Dragon 03-13-2002 08:05 AM

the set button spoilt....it slowly got from easy to press, to more difficult to press, until cannot press at all.....

Ivan 03-14-2002 03:39 AM

Dragon: Do you want to sell me your faulty esc?

Dragon 03-15-2002 03:15 AM

The ESC is either still with Toycar or the LRP factory in Germany....i ask winnie to send for me almost 6 months ago......still not back yet.....

Ivan 03-15-2002 08:51 AM

Dragon: That's really bad.. wouldn't it be good if you could get your escs fixed in here? If you do need any help with your ESCs, do let me know and I'll might just fix it for you for a good price.

Alvin 03-15-2002 04:49 PM

Ivan,
Do you have a set-up which can repair surface mounted components? Wow... my schulze esc which I got back recently, returned with the damaged surface mounted transistors.... I could not identify their part numbers (melted) but the pins are waay to small. I've modified the surface mounted resistors on graphic cards before, but those sm fets are just too small...

Alvin 03-15-2002 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I guess these are the fets, the repair price listed 'em :rolleyes:

Ivan 03-16-2002 07:51 AM

Alvin, Yes.. I have a setup to repair surface mount parts. It's NO joke manual soldering them especially when they are super-small. If you need need any help, you know where to get it...

Dragon 03-16-2002 07:51 AM

WWOOOooOOOooooo.....tiny....what are they for anyway:confused:

Ivan 03-16-2002 07:54 AM

I'll need to take a look at the fets up close before I could tell you if it's really worth repairing. It doesn't help much if the markings are gone.

Ivan 03-16-2002 07:57 AM

TB01 Aluminum Steering? Can this be used on a TB EVO?

Aluma 03-17-2002 11:31 AM

hey guys, what other spur gear can be used? This .4 pitch pinion and fine spurs suck! I race on parking lot style track thats blown and sprayed, but still little pebbles make their way into the gears and mess them up. (and as you know they aint cheap!) plus you have to disassemble half your car to change to a new pinion.

HELP. robinson? HPI?INTEGY? tb01? tg10?:confused: :cry:

Alvin 03-18-2002 03:22 AM

Aluma: rc-cross.com has a TB01 spur gear adaptor, it *may* work, do ask the other members for confirmation.

OTOH, whilst on my TB01 with the carbon chassis, i.e. visible spur gear we use the tamiya AV pinions and spurs. They have much less gear ratio and run very much noisier, but they seem to last very long. I did run the 0.4 for a while but they are a bitch to mesh andn strip too easily. Running costs were too high ;-) So went back to the AV stuff.

Dragon 03-18-2002 08:46 AM

what is AV?

Aluma 03-18-2002 12:00 PM

well, checked out rc-cross.com and found nothing of the sort. oh well,

AV designates a 48pitch METRIC which is what I'm looking for.

and so far the usual online hobbie stores dont carry that part.

cheapo TB01's spur gear bag...comes with a 55T,46T, and another.

I wanted to get that gear bag and try one of Kimborough, or robinsons plastic pro pinions.

Alvin 03-18-2002 05:15 PM

Aluma:
Check this URL: http://www.rc-cross.com/page/TA-04%20TB-01.html

The spur adaptor is at the very bottom of the page.

I don't think AV is similar to the 48 pitch, we have tried running 48 pitch pinions with the AV spur gears, while no damage was suffered, it made alot of noise.... and we didn't dare run it for serious... events :)

TB01's spur set has 61T, 58T and 55T.

Aluma 03-18-2002 06:11 PM

i read an article in Extreme R/C mag. about he evo2.
it says you can use Kim, RRP and some other gears on it. dont say which ones specifically though. it did have a pic with a pink pinion and a black spur(think it was the normal one)

so how do you order that adapter? everything's in japanese!! hehehe

Aluma 03-28-2002 05:22 AM

you guys sound like you know what you're talking about....maybe you can help me out.... I'm pretty new to R/C and I got a tamiya car.(flame suit on) anyway, its got red springs which are soft and comes with this orangy oil.... its too soft a setting (figured that out cuz the car sparks sometimes) I adjusted preload and helped but not enough. I got the tuned spring set and i'm thinking blue front and yellow rear(firm, medium) but I have no idea as to what oil to use. my LHS only carries associated...would you guys know what weight matches the blue and the yellow springs given all shocks use 2hole disks inside?

I once put 30 wt with the stock chrome springs and the car looked like a pogo stick...I DONT want that to happen during the race!

ZER01 03-30-2002 02:03 AM

Onroad Electric and Nitro "State Championships" May 4th @ Small Cars Unlimited.
http://smallcarsunlimited.com/albums.../aaa.thumb.gif