Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Inspire us.  Show me your BEST, CLEANEST electronics installation pics. >

Inspire us. Show me your BEST, CLEANEST electronics installation pics.

Like Tree75Likes

Inspire us. Show me your BEST, CLEANEST electronics installation pics.

Reply

Old 03-13-2012, 12:12 AM
  #1831  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 70
Default

Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
So where did you score that rear diffuser?
Its from an Streetjam OTA-R31 (From a friend that gets in spares for them)
DORIYAA! is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:13 PM
  #1832  
Tech Rookie
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Very nice and clean VDF you got there DORIYAA!
hks51r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:13 PM
  #1833  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (40)
 
Dan the Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Perth, W.A
Posts: 2,064
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete View Post
Robert I gotta know how you did the edge of the chassie like that I have done the sharpie and glue thing but that looks sick
Bravo very nice job all the way
Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete View Post
Ahhhhhhrrrrrggggggg it driving me nuts I gotta know how to do this
To the edge of my chassie I have a new 6.1 kit sitting that I want to run VTA
With but if I build it I will never take at all back apart to do this

I have looked every where for a paint marker this color and nothing
Do you CA glue the edge after?
Mix it wit the glue ?
Ooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Somebody help
http://www.rctech.net/forum/7998031-post1013.html

http://www.rctech.net/forum/8001008-post1019.html

http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...rder=0&thold=0

There's a TC5 done the same way, but I couldn't be arsed finding it. It'll be in the 1012 posts prior to the 1st link
Dan the Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:41 PM
  #1834  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Buckaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 1,503
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete View Post
Robert I gotta know how you did the edge of the chassie like that I have done the sharpie and glue thing but that looks sick
Bravo very nice job all the way
Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete View Post
Ahhhhhhrrrrrggggggg it driving me nuts I gotta know how to do this
To the edge of my chassie I have a new 6.1 kit sitting that I want to run VTA
With but if I build it I will never take at all back apart to do this

I have looked every where for a paint marker this color and nothing
Do you CA glue the edge after?
Mix it wit the glue ?
Ooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Somebody help
After doing 9 different carbon plate chassis this year, this is the best method and materials that I've come up with:

1. Sand the edges first with 320 grit
2. Seal with CA and let it sit for 24 hours
3. Sand down any rough parts caused by the CA
4. Color the edges with an Elmers Painter brand paint pen ($3 from WalMart) and let sit for 24 hours
5. Seal the paint with another layer of CA

I've used just about everything you can imagine, including 4 other brands of paint and nail polish. What I've posted above not only gives one coat coverage, but also stands up to every bang you can imagine (indoors and out), and can be easily and quickly spot touched up when/if necessary.

I use ultra thin CA one drop at a time, angling the carbon plate so that the drop hangs off of the chassis, and I help it along with a paperclip. Doing it that way minimizes the chance of any slip up. I'm a little OCD with some things, so even the inside edges of the carbon plates are CA sealed. I hang everything up with hooks made from paper clips.

The Elmers Painter brand paint pen is super easy to use, and always seems to color match very well, in addition to being very robust, cheap, lasts forever, and easy to find in the craft section of WalMart. Every other paint that I've used either was too brittle when dry or took too many coats to cover. Probably not necessary to have 24 hours between each step, but it lets me break it into easy steps.




Last edited by Buckaroo; 03-13-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Buckaroo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:29 PM
  #1835  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
valk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,092
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

just curious why everyone uses CA? why not use a urathane sealer on well sanded edges? don't see why you would have to use anything that takes 24hours to dry.
it looks good, no argument, just curious why not using a better performing product is all.
valk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:33 PM
  #1836  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Buckaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 1,503
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by valk View Post
just curious why everyone uses CA? why not use a urathane sealer on well sanded edges? don't see why you would have to use anything that takes 24hours to dry.
it looks good, no argument, just curious why not using a better performing product is all.
You don't need to wait 24 hours, I just do it that way to break it into easy steps.

Why use CA? Because CA is very hard, shock resistant in thin film, and darn near everyone already has it in their kit.
Buckaroo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:50 PM
  #1837  
Suspended
iTrader: (16)
 
rcpaintinpete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: PALMBAY FLORIDA
Posts: 2,739
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up Big thanks

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
After doing 9 different carbon plate chassis this year, this is the best method and materials that I've come up with:

1. Sand the edges first with 320 grit
2. Seal with CA and let it sit for 24 hours
3. Sand down any rough parts caused by the CA
4. Color the edges with an Elmers Painter brand paint pen ($3 from WalMart) and let sit for 24 hours
5. Seal the paint with another layer of CA

I've used just about everything you can imagine, including 4 other brands of paint and nail polish. What I've posted above not only gives one coat coverage, but also stands up to every bang you can imagine (indoors and out), and can be easily and quickly spot touched up when/if necessary.

I use ultra thin CA one drop at a time, angling the carbon plate so that the drop hangs off of the chassis, and I help it along with a paperclip. Doing it that way minimizes the chance of any slip up. I'm a little OCD with some things, so even the inside edges of the carbon plates are CA sealed. I hang everything up with hooks made from paper clips.

The Elmers Painter brand paint pen is super easy to use, and always seems to color match very well, in addition to being very robust, cheap, lasts forever, and easy to find in the craft section of WalMart. Every other paint that I've used either was too brittle when dry or took too many coats to cover. Probably not necessary to have 24 hours between each step, but it lets me break it into easy steps.



Tom thanks best info I had got yet thank goodness I have not started the
Nail polish it looked it bit thick
This is great you rock
BTW your chassie looks great that is what I'm looking to pull off
All this for my slowest car I own my VTA 6.1
But I figure if you can't go fast you might as well look fast lol
rcpaintinpete is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:57 PM
  #1838  
Suspended
iTrader: (16)
 
rcpaintinpete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: PALMBAY FLORIDA
Posts: 2,739
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

On my way to wall mart lmao
Will post pics of chassie and my electronics install later thanks again
rcpaintinpete is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:45 PM
  #1839  
Tech Master
iTrader: (71)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,316
Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)
Default

My SpeedMerchant Rev7...


joey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:15 AM
  #1840  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Estonia
Posts: 35
Default

Originally Posted by joey View Post
My SpeedMerchant Rev7...


WOW, what`s up with that gearing?
Marten is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:00 AM
  #1841  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SnowMexico
Posts: 6,215
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Marten View Post
WOW, what`s up with that gearing?
He's running a 12th scale with a crawler motor! Gotta compensate for that.
monkeyracing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:05 AM
  #1842  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Airwave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,042
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Pictures of my A700:




Small touch of purple...
Airwave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:06 PM
  #1843  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Crowder
Posts: 41
Default

beautiful build, love the touch of purple
Operator27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:46 PM
  #1844  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (31)
 
hotdognobun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

grest job airwave
hotdognobun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:50 PM
  #1845  
Tech Master
iTrader: (71)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,316
Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
He's running a 12th scale with a crawler motor! Gotta compensate for that.
its blinky 1/12... either gear up or be slow...
joey is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service