R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My first car came with and ESC Leisure (1979). Went thru a baby puddle and that was it. The first commerially available competition ESC was tested at the Winter Champs in Orlando by Art Carbonell.Novak soon followed with their first ESC.When Kevin left Delta Tekin was born.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
My first car came with and ESC Leisure (1979). Went thru a baby puddle and that was it. The first commerially available competition ESC was tested at the Winter Champs in Orlando by Art Carbonell.Novak soon followed with their first ESC.When Kevin left Delta Tekin was born.
I know that Kevin Orton himself did testing of speedo at the U.S. Midwest Championships in Kansas City, which I believe was even before the Winter Champs. The speedo case was bent thin kydex and held togeather with motor endbell tape.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #63
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Remember when Novak made servos ? I used those and also bought a servo 'kit' made by ACE. The radio's were so primitive you had to take apart the servo and reverse the motor wires to reverse the throw. A company (AMP ?) made a dual rate kit for the Futaba brown box. I still have mine.
jag88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #64

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer View Post
Speedo?

I am guessing with a rig like that... back in those days there wasnt nearly as much bickering over changing the weight minimum 30 - 60 grams like there is today
Old 01-07-2009, 02:18 AM   #65
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Remember the Delta trim pod to put on the Futaba brown box. As for the ESC the Winter Champs were in held in the beginning of Feb. I just remember The Cambells and Art showing it to me and afew other team members. They also listed out at $250.00. Also remember Mike Reedy showing the soon to be released RC10. It took alittle longer than he said at the time.I think it came out about 10 months later.As for those Novak servo's that was the servo to have.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:23 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The Novak servo was the NES-1 if I recall correctly. Before that, the servo to run was the fast but short lived Bantam Midget that was available in a white case from Ace, or in an orange case from either Novak, or it might have been Dunham...

Quick question that could apply to racing today... Remember how we used "dropping diodes" to reduce the voltage to the receiver from the 6 cell packs? No ESC's with BEC back then... does anyone know what diodes we used? I want to drop the voltage of a small two cell Lipo to use as an RX pack... I fugured one of those little diodes would put it to 6V and not weigh much at all...
Old 01-07-2009, 07:15 AM   #67
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Giordano View Post
In NYC area, (80's-90's) the meca for 1/12th scale racing was every 2 weeks at a german beer garden / restaurant back room where the club laid out a temporary track...everyone helped set-up and tear-down. I do not think we used gray ozite...if I remember correctly, it was a rust color.

New racers had no choice but to start in a novice class and could only advance to expert when they won 2x novice mains. We all used modifed motors and throttle driving was needed to make 8 minutes.

There was nothing like being able to pull the trigger to cleanly pass slower cars.
The Plattdeusche Restaurant on Hempstead Turnpike.

The first race I went to was at the VFW hall in Valley Stream. The classes were stock, modified, and open 6 cell. You had to be an expert to run 6 cell. The racing in 6 cell was excellent, practically a freight train for the entire race. Then the stock racers came out and it was board slap city! And this should bring back nightmares, manual lap counting!

The one thing I remember from that race was on top of every racer's tool box was a bottle of Extra Strength Tylenol. You think carpet tracks smell now?
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:20 AM   #68
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Race, marshall, score !!
jag88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #69
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
The Novak servo was the NES-1 if I recall correctly. Before that, the servo to run was the fast but short lived Bantam Midget that was available in a white case from Ace, or in an orange case from either Novak, or it might have been Dunham...

Quick question that could apply to racing today... Remember how we used "dropping diodes" to reduce the voltage to the receiver from the 6 cell packs? No ESC's with BEC back then... does anyone know what diodes we used? I want to drop the voltage of a small two cell Lipo to use as an RX pack... I fugured one of those little diodes would put it to 6V and not weigh much at all...
You are correct, I still have a new NES-1, keep thinking about putting it in a 1/12th car, lol. My Bantam Midgets where in black cases, still have those to. I think somewhere in there Kraft sold a very similar servo, that came in a harvest gold colour. The Kraft tx was the early version of the KO with the changeable module so you could run 27 or 75mhz.

And of course who can forget the Futaba S20 servo, very small, it was funny when you would blow one of those up as the smoke was usually the colour of the cap that would blow, my smoke shows where usually a bright blue, lol.

I think the diodes where either 4001 or 4002.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #70
Tech Elite

Johhny,

Any reason you can think of to not use one of those diodes nowadays to cut the 7.4 from a LiPO rx pack? Seems it would be a lighter solution than adding a regulator... Back in the day, the wiring harness for the car came with 2 diodes to cut the voltage, the "hot setup" at the time was to only use one of the diodes to get a faster servo transit... Some of us went with no diodes but went through servos at a horrific rate.

The only thing I can think of is that the diode may not be able to handle the demands of a digital servo... but back then we ran two standard servos... so it ought to be able to handle one digital... the transponder draws almost nothing.

Would be cool to use 1979 technology as a solution now... then again, a booster is probably lighter than a Lipo/diode combo...
Old 01-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #71
Tech Regular

Default 1964 RC Car

Just stumbled across this in a slot forum - scan of 1964 article (4 pages will probably have to do multiple posts)
Attached Thumbnails
carpet racing history-1964-model-car-track-r.c.-article-pg1.jpg  
Old 01-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #72
Tech Regular

Default pg 2

Second page
Attached Thumbnails
carpet racing history-1964-model-car-track-r.c.-article-pg2.jpg  
Old 01-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #73
Tech Regular

third and fourth pages
Attached Thumbnails
carpet racing history-1964-model-car-track-r.c.-article-pg3.jpg   carpet racing history-1964-model-car-track-r.c.-article-pg4.jpg  
Old 01-07-2009, 04:06 PM   #74
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
Johhny,

Any reason you can think of to not use one of those diodes nowadays to cut the 7.4 from a LiPO rx pack? Seems it would be a lighter solution than adding a regulator... Back in the day, the wiring harness for the car came with 2 diodes to cut the voltage, the "hot setup" at the time was to only use one of the diodes to get a faster servo transit... Some of us went with no diodes but went through servos at a horrific rate.

The only thing I can think of is that the diode may not be able to handle the demands of a digital servo... but back then we ran two standard servos... so it ought to be able to handle one digital... the transponder draws almost nothing.

Would be cool to use 1979 technology as a solution now... then again, a booster is probably lighter than a Lipo/diode combo...
A regulator would be just that, it would regulate the voltage at a fixed setting rather than a diode that is simply keeping the voltage spike down to a liveable level.

Rick your looking rather svelt in those pictures, and only one pocket saver, lol.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:32 AM   #75
Tech Elite

Teh new rctech upgrade introduced a new feature called "Social Groups". To try and understand what it is, I created a group called "Old Skool Cafe". It's a public group, open to anyone who is interested.

To be honest, I'm not really sure how a group differs from a thread here in the forum, but I wanted to find out. Since this thread is pretty "old skool" in nature, I figured I'd mention it here...

Anyone interested, go to your user control panel and hit the "Social Groups" button. "Old Skool Cafe" should appear in the list...