R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-06-2009, 04:03 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
We should start a 12i class, where everyone has to run a TOJ body and 32 pitch gears!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
And make everyone run a sealed endbell Igarashi motor. LOL. I think its been done already.
Don't forget 1200 sanyo packs, a resistor/wiper speed control, and charge cords only. Nothing newer than a "brown box" Futaba with the side lever throttle.

I think I might actually have everything somewhere in the attic...
Old 01-06-2009, 04:13 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Default ---Trivia Challenge---

Here's a trivia question, not 1/12 scale specific, but if you know the RIGHT answer, you were racinig at a time when 1/12 scale was the ONLY electric class, so it fits in here...

Why are our chargers called "delta peak" chargers??? What is the phrase "delta peak" supposed to mean, anyway???

How about everyone over 40 hold back a bit and watch everyone under 40 get the answer wrong...
Old 01-06-2009, 06:08 AM   #18
Tech Apprentice

I was at the race in Plymouth Michigan in about 90-91 it was a hotel race that was 6 cell roar sanctioned event put on by the SEMROCC club out of detroit.We used Sanyo 1200 red cells the cars were ballistic, mods were stupid ballistic.That was the first race I think they had the dustbuster challenge.I also remember Trinity bringing out there top motor guy with a new device called a dyno it was connected to a pc and was the first portable 1 I ever saw.
Delta peak chargers are named for ??????.I believe yokomo or kyosho or maybe even lavco had the first one available.Over the years I have owned several 1/12 scale cars some were pure racers others were only there to support the wheels & body.
Jomac/Jerobee Challenger
Associated 12e
Associated 12i
Tamiya Newman 1/12
Parma panther
Associated 12l
Delta super phaser
Corally sp12
Corally sp12g
Corally Anoheimi
CEFX phoenix
CRC genx
cmego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:49 AM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
Don't forget 1200 sanyo packs, a resistor/wiper speed control, and charge cords only. Nothing newer than a "brown box" Futaba with the side lever throttle.

I think I might actually have everything somewhere in the attic...
John Brown has you beat. He has a stick radio with a slot car controller wired into it, with a pot mounted to the side for steering. The first "pistol grip" radio.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:38 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Bob Emott from BIR used to run a radio like that back in the day. I DID have a Parma "conversion" kit on my brown box futaba that attached a gutted slot car controller to the back and had a bellcrank and linkage arrangement to work the side lever throttle...
Old 01-06-2009, 07:57 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post
I have been racing since 87 and used 6 cell 1200mah stick packs in my first 12th scale car, a tamiya 956 porsche. cars were designed to use them back then. the 12E did and the 12I that I bought in 88 also used stick packs. then Gil Losi helped with the design of the 12L which went to saddle packs, which I bought 89. most other companies had gone to a saddle pack setup about that time. I was running 4cell mod onroad and oval in 90 in Michigan. the oval track that I ran at did allow 6cell stock in the 12th oval class though. a Joel johnson 27t stock with 6 cell would blow away a 15t mod motor with 4cell on the 80' oval with 2' center. I guess about 88 89 was the last time I used 6 cells in 12th. even when I moved down to Nashville Area in 92 they ran 4 cell only down here.

for the love of 12th scale
Actually the MRP car used saddle packs about 1979 or 80. The car that Joel drove and won the nats with.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:11 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Actually the MRP car used saddle packs about 1979 or 80. The car that Joel drove and won the nats with.

Here's a pic of the MRP gp12 car. I think it could run stick or saddle packs. Mine had stick packs in it. I think it was the only 1/12 car I ever owned that I couldn't manage to break... Yes, the entire car IS molded plastic. And not the brittle plastic of modern TC's this plastic was one step above hard rubber.

The car drove VERY well for the day.
This pic comes from the rc car museum definitely worth a visit if this thread interests you...

Old 01-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That RC car museum is a fantastic site...thanks
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #24
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

If only it were in english
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike View Post
You guys forgot all the duct tape! I don't know what I liked more as a kid, the trophies for winning or the massive ball of duct tape I could build by helping to tear the track down after a race.
I didn't even close to any trophies for the first few years, so for me it was all about the giant duct tape balls. That and the informal "pit table ramp jump" contests we did every week after the mains...
Old 01-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeadman View Post
If only it were in english
You can view it in English, but it's not great English, it's Google translation... here's a link to it: CLICK HERE
Old 01-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #27
Tech Elite

No one going to try the trivia question I posted back in post 17? I'd offer a prize if I wasn't dirt-poor at the moment...
Old 01-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #28
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
Here's a trivia question, not 1/12 scale specific, but if you know the RIGHT answer, you were racinig at a time when 1/12 scale was the ONLY electric class, so it fits in here...

Why are our chargers called "delta peak" chargers??? What is the phrase "delta peak" supposed to mean, anyway???

How about everyone over 40 hold back a bit and watch everyone under 40 get the answer wrong...
Ok, I'll bite

Delta is a greek letter that in engineering/maths circles means "change"

So delta peak is the change in peak voltage. The charger will cut off when the delta (change) in peak voltage has reached the preset value.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Delta peak-Kevin Orton later Tekin. Not saying anything else on that. But to go along with my Delta Phaser and the mono front end - a brand new Futaba Brown Box with reciever and two servos.Along with my orginal car and the several proto types of the Leisure car(from the florida team captain) and orginal parts and charger picture catalog.Cell matching by Lavco have the whole system(single cell charger (Not working) discharge box for 1-6-7 cells connected to the digital reader.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
Ok, I'll bite

Delta is a greek letter that in engineering/maths circles means "change"

So delta peak is the change in peak voltage. The charger will cut off when the delta (change) in peak voltage has reached the preset value.
The greek letter delta DOES indicate change in math circles, but with that said, "delta peak" could be interpreted as "change peak." The letter delta doesn't indicate a positive or negative change, however, so I would have to say the "delta peak" would be the point when the greatest amount of change is taking place, at the beginning of the charge when the voltage is changing rapidly...

Your answer is technically correct, but it's not the one I was looking for...

Bullfrog hit it... the very first peak detecting charger marketed to the RC racing community was called the "Peak Detection Charger". It was made by the Delta company of Lorimor Iowa, back in the early '80's. On its face, it had the company name Delta, and the "Peak Detection Charger" product name. Not long after its release, several companies released peak detection chargers of their own, and misinterpreted the company name "Delta" for the math/engineering term delta, and called their chargers delta peak detection chargers. But the "Delta" in the name of the very first one was just the name of the company, it had nothing to do with the engineering/math usage of "delta."

One more trivia question... Who was the very first 1/12 world champion, and what car did he drive?