Wiki Posts
Search

Beginner car for 540 Class

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

@TwoTone

i think that AUD, that's why it seems a little more expensive.

@rcdude8

my friend can win that class (we call it "silvercan class" here) with an entry level speedo (MC230 and/or TEU-101BK).thing is, escs don't matter as much as battery quality in that class. that motor won't be sucking so much power that you would need an esc with high current output.

what I would highly recommend though is switching over to lipos. the convenience is just awesome with those batts. no discharging and tedious timing on when to charge your batts, just charge anytime (with, without or with partial charge) and play.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well I am defs going to move over to lipos. So Tamiya, I think.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:08 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rcdude8
I don't know now. This is just making it harder to decide. The TA05 kit is looking more inviting being the cheaper option.
You will have to hit something HARD for the ta05 to break. (Mine has seen 2 seasons of racing). The only weak point is the stock plastic toe block carriers (the pivot pin for the arms can pop out).

Replace these with the trf blue alloy ones if need be, but seeing as you're only racing with a 540, I doubt you will need to.

Keep it shell side up and as consistant as you can with the lap times and you will do well at club level with it

Once you have good lap consistancy it will be time to upgrade, or replace as it is a little on the heavy side. but with the extra weight, comes a strong car.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:13 AM
Tech Adept

Ok I am going to go with the TA05 but I don't know where to get one. Also the TA05 kit comes with what? Is it just the chassis like the Cyclone S because if it is I am in the same boat as before.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:20 AM
Tech Champion

It comes with a 540 motor, you will need to source a speed control, reciever, servo, batterys and transmitter.

Any half decent kit these days will not be prebuilt with radio gear in it, there are a few exceptions, but building a kit up yourself is (imho) the best way.

You can pick up a good deal on brushed motor esc's these days, or spend a bit more and go brushless.

But note if you go down the brushed motor route, you cant use Lipo batteries with the esc, unless you have a cutoff switch to stop them going flat whilst your're using them.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:34 AM
Tech Adept

Ok thanks.

What if I just get a Cyclone S RTR? It is cheaper or are the parts not good enough? I don't have the greatest budget and so I think this will be the best runner. This is the one I was considering: http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-bod...cPath=420_1171. Then when I have a bit more spare cash I can buy and replace parts.

What do you think?
Old 01-05-2009, 04:45 AM
Tech Champion

Ok thanks.

What if I just get a Cyclone S RTR? It is cheaper or are the parts not good enough? I don't have the greatest budget and so I think this will be the best runner. This is the one I was considering: http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-bod...cPath=420_1171. Then when I have a bit more spare cash I can buy and replace parts.

What do you think?
I have no experience of the car or anything inside it, so it would be wrong for me to praise or knock it. I'll let someone else speak up with any good or bad points to it.

A picture can tell a thousand words, but out on the track is the best place for an opinion...

I think you already know what my (very biased) opinion is... My son is 4 in June and I wouldnt think twice about allowing him to try out r/c with my ta05, with a 540
Old 01-05-2009, 04:49 AM
Tech Adept

Well a TA05 RTR just came up on the for sale forums so I might have a look into that.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Ok so I have the Chassis kit I am going to get: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/30473

Now all I need is an ESC and radio equipment. I have a 540 motor already. Will I need a pinion gear? IS there anything else I'll need?

Any recommendations for an ESC and Radio stuff?

Or I could just get the RTR? Bear in mind I have a budget of around $400AU - an absoulute maximum of $500AU.
We run the Cyclone S sedan as a 'Spec Electric' class in local club racing. I started with the kit that included the Stratus body.

http://www.hotbodiesonline.net/kit.p...=66403&lang=en

I added the HPI Saturn 27T motor #HPI1144, Acoms Technisport 2.4gHz radio and a couple of Duratrax Piranha 1500mAh NiCad battery packs. So far the car has been brilliant and I haven't broken anything. I did add a wide front bumper as a preventative measure and used the BRP wide bumper designed for the TC3 with a few mods to make it fit.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:27 AM
Tech Adept

This is getting more and more difficult to decide.-
Old 01-05-2009, 05:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Ok thanks.

What do you think?
This is probably your best bet to race right out of the box. The speed control and radio are decent and perfect to start with. You really do not need a fancy computer type radio. All you will need to add are battery packs and a charger.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:25 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

buy the R version and never think bout 1 hopup that u think u 'need'. its all there and thats all u need. game over.

R
Old 01-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

I am going to get the Cyclone S RTR.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:20 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

very good choice, honestly. go to jeff @ speedtech for the best price by far. board sponsor too which helps. enjoy it. couple folks at track near me use this car for T/A and with great success.

R
Old 01-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

I am going to get the Cyclone S RTR.
Get yourself a couple of extra sets of C-Hubs. They are VERY fragile. I don't have the part number handy so look over the Cyclone S thread they have the PN# in there....but I agree it is a good car.

But personally I like the TA05 better having driven both.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.