Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Beginner car for 540 Class >

Beginner car for 540 Class

Beginner car for 540 Class

Old 01-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A basic TA05 or IFS will hang with the expensive stuff. Don't waste your money, and buy one! I can count off the upgrades you MIGHT need on one hand (TRF dampers, front CVD's).
Old 01-02-2009, 04:20 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

like i said before, if u score the IFSR (dont make the regular ta05R anymore) at 230bux or so, as opposed to 180 for the regular ta05IFS, yeh u dont get a body (pick ur fav instead), but consider that TRF shocks are over 50bux for a set. there's ur cost right there, not to mention better plastics, universals front and rear, hipo diff cups, low friction belts, better turnbuckles. it adds up and pays for itself then building up from the stocker. i think thats what tamiya is thinkin bout, tryin to sell tb03s for a bit gettin ready for TCS09, thus selling a bunch of extra hopup bits, then releasing a TB03R to keep sales going and clear out stock.

good luck, btw if u can get to 310, they are blowin out their 415MSXX (MRE) touring cars shipped!

R
Old 01-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Don't forget that you get the parts to put on the front shock towers. To make standard suspension.
Dave
Old 01-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks everyone for all your help.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

all of those kits have big potentials and can't go wrong with the TA05 or Cyclone S. all you really want to have now is good parts support that's near your place. 'coz having to ship parts is annoying and costly at times.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Tech Regular

I think it much be better to save money for buying a new or used high end kit. the high end car will always have an edge competitively compared to the budget car.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by berserk
I think it much be better to save money for buying a new or used high end kit. the high end car will always have an edge competitively compared to the budget car.
That is totally debatable.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

If a car is A: More durable
B: More easily setup
C: Easier to drive fast
D: Used commonly at your track

You are more likely to be successful.
E.G : I had an old TC3.I was unable to keep up with the competition due to my inabitlity to get it handling right,being older it broke more easily & because it didn't drive well,I crashed it more and broke it more.
Vicious cycle.

I bought a 2nd hand Losi,it was fast,but i had setup trouble and no one else ran the same car.People tried to help,but their advice didn't translate.
I was fast one run,handled like crap the next.

So i sold that and bought and '07 Xray.
Handled terribly too,until i tore it down and reset everything by the book.
WOW !! What a difference !!
I smashed my p.b each time i ran the car.
It is smooth,consistent and VERY easy to drive.Almost runs on auto pilot.
My p.b is .6 sec faster than the Losi running on the ragged edge, and 1 sec faster than the TC3.
Because the car is so easy to drive and well built anyway, i have yet to break anything in 4 months of weekly racing with it and i wish i had known this earlier.
I just finished second in our 540 championship over 14 rounds , to another '07.Once the car is setup,you just charge your packs and race.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Adept

so you recommend an Xray?
Old 01-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

For sure, the quality is excellent. New they are pricey for sure,but there are always good second hand cars to be had cheaply.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fleetmaster
If a car is A: More durable
B: More easily setup
C: Easier to drive fast
D: Used commonly at your track

You are more likely to be successful.
E.G : I had an old TC3.I was unable to keep up with the competition due to my inabitlity to get it handling right,being older it broke more easily & because it didn't drive well,I crashed it more and broke it more.
Vicious cycle.

I bought a 2nd hand Losi,it was fast,but i had setup trouble and no one else ran the same car.People tried to help,but their advice didn't translate.
I was fast one run,handled like crap the next.

So i sold that and bought and '07 Xray.
Handled terribly too,until i tore it down and reset everything by the book.
WOW !! What a difference !!
I smashed my p.b each time i ran the car.
It is smooth,consistent and VERY easy to drive.Almost runs on auto pilot.
My p.b is .6 sec faster than the Losi running on the ragged edge, and 1 sec faster than the TC3.
Because the car is so easy to drive and well built anyway, i have yet to break anything in 4 months of weekly racing with it and i wish i had known this earlier.
I just finished second in our 540 championship over 14 rounds , to another '07.Once the car is setup,you just charge your packs and race.

Most of what you said relates to set up and could be said about even a TA05 or any other car.

rcdude8
Key here is getting a car that you can help with at YOUR local track. If you get a car that no one else runs, much harder to get advice.

Personally I have 2 TA05Rs. But I bought them used. If I were spending 230-250 on a new TA05R I would spent the $315 at Tamiya for the 415.

I had an Xray 008 more car then I needed at my current driving skill, maybe when I'm better and driving consistent lap times and can't get any faster with my current car, then I'll set up to a top shelf car.

Equipment can make a difference, but you need to get your driving to that point.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

My point is that some cars have a larger setup window than others.
The Xrays have been proven to be flexible in that way.
At my club,the guy who i dice with each week has different tyre temp range and softer setup,mine is super stiff,but we both lap the same times.
The '07 has HELPED my driving ten fold.When i have screwed up, it has been much more resilient than my previous rides.
Also,if he buys a second hand car or a T2R,he won't have to upgrade later on when he does want to run with the fast guys.
I have found Tamiya support here in Aus to be poor at best.
A Tamiya was my first car,thinking that it was a massive brand ,therefore good parts supply.WRONG.
It's also a little more difficult to get an accurate,repeatable setup when Tamiya's tend to have so much slop.
Like I said, go for a high end car,go for a good second hand car.
My friend bought a T2 just recently for $ 300AUD.
This included some spares,a 540 motor and esc,good body shell and tyres too i believe.
He had an evo3 Tamiya,was running high 14sec to mid 15 sec laps.
First week out with the T2,conservative (LWB) setup,he ran a P.B of 14.2 sec.My best is 13.4, so you can see he has some more practice to do,along with motor prep.(clean it ,LOL)
There was a BRAND NEW T2R in the Aus for sale just yesterday for $225 aud.
Need I say more?
Old 01-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Tech Adept

So I'll have a look into the T2.

Which manufacturer does have the best Australian Support then in people's opinions?
Old 01-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Depends on where you live really,you should ask your lhs.
There is always online.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

My local hobby shop is 1hr and half drive from me or there is the Toyworld which is 40 mins away but that has very limited stock.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.