R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-31-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Chinese LiPo's

Hey folks,

I'm wanting to start moving over to LiPo's, but I don't want to drop a ton of cash right now. Have any of you had good luck with the less expensive chinese LiPo's? If so, what are you useing and where did you get em?

I've heard in the past that some of the inexpensive chinese batteries actually were quite good.

Thanks.
Kris
Current Toys: 1990 RC10 Gold Pan buggy, 1991 RC10 Team Buggy, AE TC3, Diggity Designs XLR8, Tamiya TRF 415, Losi Mini Late Model, Losi Mini Slider, AE RC18MT, 2 Jammin X1X CR's, 2 Jammin X1 CRT Pro's, HPI Savage XL, Revo Platinum, Jammin X2 CR Electric Conversion, 4X2 Slash, 4X4 Slash, Losi Comp Crawler, Arrow Shark 47" Boat, Blade 400 Heli, Blade CX3
CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

I used Hecell lipos from ebay which cost about $50 each. 4000mah, 25C, 2S, Deans already on, balancing tabs. They have more punch than my Orion 3800 Race Spec. The next battery I will buy are the Zippy LiPOs.
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Here is a link to the Zippy LiPO.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...25C_Car_Lipoly
Old 12-31-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4wdracer View Post
Damn.. that is cheap.. how is their shipping price? I bought some Pro-Tek (Amain hobbies house brand) 4000mah 2S 15C 4000mAh batteries for $35/ea. These Zippy batteries being 25C might give a little more punch.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
Tech Elite

I priced shipping for 2 of the Zippy LiPOs and the cheapest shipping method which takes 10-30 days was about $11 for both batteries.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
Damn.. that is cheap.. how is their shipping price? I bought some Pro-Tek (Amain hobbies house brand) 4000mah 2S 15C 4000mAh batteries for $35/ea. These Zippy batteries being 25C might give a little more punch.
hows running with protek lipo at amain?. how do you compare it?
johndayo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
Hey folks,

I'm wanting to start moving over to LiPo's, but I don't want to drop a ton of cash right now. Have any of you had good luck with the less expensive chinese LiPo's? If so, what are you useing and where did you get em?

I've heard in the past that some of the inexpensive chinese batteries actually were quite good.

Thanks.
Kris

i bought a lipo battery at ebay . i used it once and the prettymuch is good but it just bubbled on me. i returned it and got my refund. i heard smc lipo are good too, for an affordable price. http://www.axiommotors.com/-c-62_103.html
johndayo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I like Zippy and SMC. I have tried both and really like them.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ultraline hobbies has some good lipo batteries also, a little more expensive but I have been very happy with them.

I have used Zippy batteries in my planes and heli's for years and never had a problem. Next time I order stuff from hobby city I am going to pick up one of their car packs to see how it does. If it runs my car half as well as zippy runs my planes I will be happy.

From my experence with the Yeah racing cells I can tell no difference between the smc and reedy pack that I own. My wallet sure could tell the difference.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

It looks like Lipo doesn't have many problems as Ni-Mh does, and doesn't have much difference between cheap Zippy and expensive Orion and SMC (say the same C rating and capacity). then why some people still go for expensive ones Do they provide something different?
05forfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
Tech Addict

I have ran these new Zippy's 4000 25C car packs for 28.00 $ and looks awesome.I love these packs and i'll get 3-4 more when they'll be in stock again.I don't understand why all the other guys continue with the 40C battle.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:59 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05forfun View Post
It looks like Lipo doesn't have many problems as Ni-Mh does, and doesn't have much difference between cheap Zippy and expensive Orion and SMC (say the same C rating and capacity). then why some people still go for expensive ones Do they provide something different?
The thing you have to remember is that Orion-SMC-almost who ever don't make the lipo cells...they are a "matcher" I doubt you will ever find out who's cells those matchers use so there is no telling if the cells are the same. There are quite a few people that make lipo cells, and the only one I can think of is Kokam, they make and sell RC lipo packs.

As to why people still go for expensive ones, I am not sure. Do what I did if your budget allows buy a named brand pack or two then buy the less expensive packs and see if you can tell the difference. Have someone else put the battery in your car and not tell you...see if you can tell the difference between different packs. Then make your decision. Unless you do your own real world test you have no idea if one pack is worth more money then another.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:04 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05forfun View Post
Yes.Higher C rating numbers that usually are for marketing reasons only.I want to see in how many days someone will release a 50C or even a 60C pack.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4wdracer View Post
Wow! A 4000mah hard pack for $28? That's an insane price! LOL of course the -18 stock level doesn't look too great right now. I wonder how regularly they replenish their stock?

How does one of these packs compare to the average 4600 NiMh pack? It would certainly be cheaper to run the LiPo's at that price.

Kris
Current Toys: 1990 RC10 Gold Pan buggy, 1991 RC10 Team Buggy, AE TC3, Diggity Designs XLR8, Tamiya TRF 415, Losi Mini Late Model, Losi Mini Slider, AE RC18MT, 2 Jammin X1X CR's, 2 Jammin X1 CRT Pro's, HPI Savage XL, Revo Platinum, Jammin X2 CR Electric Conversion, 4X2 Slash, 4X4 Slash, Losi Comp Crawler, Arrow Shark 47" Boat, Blade 400 Heli, Blade CX3
CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:17 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Run View Post
Yes.Higher C rating numbers that usually are for marketing reasons only.I want to see in how many days someone will release a 50C or even a 60C pack.
Higher C rating is a marketing scheme to charge you more.

CHINESE LIPOS FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know if there are any American made LiPos? I know there are American assembled LiPos, but I mean the actual cells made in America?