R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   set up tips for 12th scale on road elect (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/263579-set-up-tips-12th-scale-road-elect.html)

00chris 12-30-2008 10:29 AM

set up tips for 12th scale on road elect

I just got an associated 12R5. What a great kit. Need tips on how to go brushless and lipo battery needed. I have an associated 12th scale that I got about 25 years ago. It's packed away in a box somewhere. My son talked me into getting another 12th. There sure is a big difference between resistor and esc, brushed and brushless, nicad and lipo. I'm not totally unfamiliar with brushless. Have an 18T with the mamba 8.0 kv mini brushless system , reedy 1400 ni-mh batt, rrp racing adjustable turnbuckles, high torc steering servo etc.... and It flys. I'm not sure exactly which brushless I'd like to go with for this so any help would be great. Please include pictures if possible. Thanks.

CDW 12-30-2008 10:38 AM

The most common motor for stock would probably be the Trinity Duo. They released a new motor called the pulse which is supposed to be good. I have yet to try one, but I am willing to guess they will be good. As for a speed control, I know a lot of guys who are running the LRP Comp. What we are finding out locally is that for 12th scale stock, the Tekin RS is the speed control to have.
Good luck with your future RC endeavors

AreCee 12-30-2008 10:49 AM

You can get the Tekin RS and Motor combo and save a few dollars. Look at Stormer Racing Hobbies. I'm using the 13.5 in my R5 but check to see what classes your track is running.

00chris 12-30-2008 11:00 AM

I was thinking about using the 10th scale mamba kit. Anyone have any ideas about it? And as far as my track restrictions go, there are no classes yet. So at this point its just basket ball and tennis court racing for me and my son.

Trips 12-30-2008 11:43 AM

Right now 1/12 scale is coming up to a change... If you're going to be racing, check the tracks where you intend to race about what classes they are running, and what they are allowing. Most tracks are running 17.5 brushless in 1/12 scales, alongside 27 turn brushed motors as the stock class. Some tracks are allowing 13.5 brushless with a single cell 3.7 LiPO to run in this class as well, but it's not very common yet.

If you'll be racing at a track that allows the single cell LiPo, then I'd go that route. The only single cell LiPo for 1/12 cars at the moment is the SMC. If your local track isn't allowing that yet, get a few NIMH 4 cell packs.

For a 1/12 brushless speed control, the Tekin RS is pretty much the one to run. It's the smallest and lightest of the bunch. I have heard that the Tekin 17.5 motor is not that great in a 1/12 scale car, but I haven't actually tried one. I'm running Trinity Duo 17.5 and it's been great so far.