Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to on road RC

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to on road RC

I'm interested in getting into electric onroad and was wondering if i could get some help or feed back as to a good kit to start with that wouldnt "phase out" if it turned into something i wanted to start competatively. I decided to come on here first because i unfortuantely started off road RC with no knowledge whatsoever besides what i briefly read online and now im stuck with a headache. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 134 (100%+)
Default onroad

go to your local track and see what they are running there , and then check and see if parts are readily available and then make your choice
Old 09-09-2011, 12:06 AM
Tech Regular

Good luck.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Izuael
I'm interested in getting into electric onroad and was wondering if i could get some help or feed back as to a good kit to start with that wouldnt "phase out" if it turned into something i wanted to start competatively. I decided to come on here first because i unfortuantely started off road RC with no knowledge whatsoever besides what i briefly read online and now im stuck with a headache. Any help would be much appreciated.
it always tends to be about budget and what people are running around you. also do u have a local onroad track to go to or are u planning to run the thing on the street? in onroad not every company has a mid level kit and depending on how much you want to spend could lead you down several paths.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Are you anywhere near these folks ??
http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...entral-nj.html

If so..GO THERE !!! A beautiful track and you'll meet some great racers.

Just my opinion but don't worry about buying just what the local shop carries. The online shopping world is HUGE and buying locally doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a good car. Buying from a crappy shop can be a nightmare and there are just not enough really good quality, knowledgeable shops.
As for cars with the qualities you seek. First you should really decide what level of racing you might want to get involved with. It's way to hard to say "buy an Xray T3 now....it'll be ready for any class you could want to race"
That's nice but expensive and complex for a new driver. Trust me when I tell you that 1 car at this point in your experience is not going to happen. Start with a GOOD car...as you move up or decide to move up...you'll probably sell that car and buy the next level. Don't frustrate yourself now with a car that's way to complex for you.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks alot, especially EVORACER. My tag is wrong actually so i apoologize for that. Im actually in the air force and stationed in Japan right now. I know it sounds a little crazy but there are roughly 2 hobby shops near me and they both sell second hand parts, mainly for kyosho. Also their selection is pretty weak and all in japanese haha. The nearest "quality" hobby shop appears to be Tam Tam and that about 2 hrs away in down town tokyo. There are a few others on base that race on road electric and they are all DIE HARD team associated TC6 advocates. I like the look of the TC4 RTR on A-main hobbies but kind of wanted to "be different" and try the TA05... i dont know though..the main difference i can see is that the TC4 is 4WD shaft driven while the TA05 is belt...but there are probably other HUGE differences that me being a NOOB doesnt see...
Old 09-11-2011, 01:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You may want to take a read of this post in a similar thread.
Going by what is said about them in a thread in this forum this car is worthy of consideration by both new and experienced drivers.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/9639280-post6.html

Cheers
Rob.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Izuael
Thanks alot, especially EVORACER. My tag is wrong actually so i apoologize for that. Im actually in the air force and stationed in Japan right now. I know it sounds a little crazy but there are roughly 2 hobby shops near me and they both sell second hand parts, mainly for kyosho. Also their selection is pretty weak and all in japanese haha. The nearest "quality" hobby shop appears to be Tam Tam and that about 2 hrs away in down town tokyo. There are a few others on base that race on road electric and they are all DIE HARD team associated TC6 advocates. I like the look of the TC4 RTR on A-main hobbies but kind of wanted to "be different" and try the TA05... i dont know though..the main difference i can see is that the TC4 is 4WD shaft driven while the TA05 is belt...but there are probably other HUGE differences that me being a NOOB doesnt see...
Well, you're in the Air Force so that gives you instant points !! The AE cars will always be considered top notch. Like all high end cars, they have features and quirks that work for some but not for others.
The TA05 is a great chassis but not really meant to be on the level of the TC6. Depends a bit on what type of racing you guys are doing. 25.5, 21.5 or 17.5 non boosted would make things more about driving and less about electronics or motor. In that scenario, the TA05 would be competitive with the TC6. Until I fell for Schumacher cars, My first love was Tamiya and I'll always consider them top notch. Great quality and the manuals are the best. I mean ...we are talking about multiple world championships here !! Hard to ignore.
The TC4 isn't bad. On par with TA05 but remember it's a RTR. You'll most likely have to upgrade a few parts. The RTR electronics are almost useless. Primarily meant for playing around. If you do any kind of organized class racing you'll have to change electronics. It is a great car to start the learning process with though.
Shaft vs. Belt is an old argument. They're both great....just different. Shaft cars are pretty darned smooth . My old Tamiya Evo 4 was one of my favorites.I think the Evo 5 is just as good. Both discontinued now.
Personal suggestion given your location.....go with Tamiya TA05 or TA05v2. Get the R version as it's better equipped. Order parts from whatever shop can ship to you best. Can't go wrong with Tamiya parts availability.