R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   TC4 FT VS. TC5 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/262478-tc4-ft-vs-tc5.html)

minittrackmann 12-26-2008 09:59 AM

TC4 FT VS. TC5

Shaft drive vs. Belt drive. On asphalt are lap times going to be dramatically different? Similar setups, same driver, I couldn't imagine belt drive could be any faster than a shaft drive. I was anticipating on getting a TC5R for christmas but I didnt. I am trying to save some money by possibly just buying the TC4 FT and saving some money.

I would just like to hear some of your opinions and personal experiences.

Thanks
Cody

tattooedchef 12-26-2008 10:38 AM

what up i don't think they make the tc4 ft any more go with they tc5r it's made for assfult maybe if your set on the tc4 ft look on e bay prob. get one cheep but you might have to rebuild it you never know got a xxx 4 and had to rebuild the hole car it wasn't put together right after i rebuild it it cost me more then to buy a kit. now its my gf lol

minittrackmann 12-26-2008 10:45 AM

My friend has a TC4 he's willing to sell to me. If they discontinued the car do you think they even make parts for it?

Cody

yodace 12-26-2008 10:57 AM

I like my TC5R.. drives alot smoother then my old TC4....FT

blckgnx 12-26-2008 11:05 AM

The TC-4 is still available brand new as an RTR. Associated will have parts for these cars for a long time to come. Depending on your skill level, the TC-4 or the FT TC-4 are "shaft" drive cars, so are a little easier to maintain and set up. The TC-5 is belt driven and has many more adjustments than the 4, so its more adaptable to differant tracks and surfaces, however, that means that there are more adjustments to make. I like KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid), so even though my TC-3's and 4's are not as high tech as the 5's, they're still competitive if you keep your driving "Clean" Happy Racing for 09 Ron

JayMoto 12-26-2008 12:44 PM

I dont think the TC4 really maxed out as far as potential goes, I truly believe that Team Associated made the TC5 just to stay in the times with other manufactures(sp?). They could have just did an options package for the suspension to update it but i guess a new car was just the cheaper way to go.

Dont be afraid to buy older tech, it is great to learn on and can also be more comfortable to drive fast than new tech than u think.

Tubaboy 12-26-2008 06:12 PM

Associated is selling FT Tc5's on ebay for $300 that comes iwth a stock motor and brushed speed control. I'd say jump on that before worrying about a TC4. The torque steer on a TC4 makes jumping on the throttle more difficult in any class but VTA/GT class racing.

Foxxrocket 12-27-2008 09:17 AM

Torque steer effects all motor driven cars, not just the TC4. Sure, each car will react differently upon the motor position, but it's still there. I drive the TC4, and I've not had any porblems with torque steer. I think the whole torque steer issue is being blown out of proportion. A good set-up will reduce the problem.

minittrackmann 12-27-2008 09:45 AM

In the long run I think it would just be better for me to save the extra money and buy the TC5.