R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Default Homemade tweak station .

Hi , instead of buying one new an proper tweak station that cost 40 or more , i thought of making my own station .
I am going to say how i made it but i dont know if it really works as a normall tweak station so this is what i did : -take a flat 20cm ruler, a tiny spirit level wich is 4cm long and 1.5 cm high , and a small marble , with some instant cement ( its like liquid super glue )

- glue the tiny spirit level exactly in the midle of the ruler and glue the small marble exactly in the midle of the spirit level .

So it should be like this : at the 1st level its the marble then at the 2nd is the spirit and at the 3rd level its the ruler.

Its a bit like the MIP tweak station but it costs nothing and i was wondering if i had to buy a tweak station or is mine OK ?

Thanks for any help please
cyclone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88

Sounds good enough. Post some pics of your work.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone speed View Post
- glue the tiny spirit level exactly in the midle of the ruler and glue the small marble exactly in the midle of the spirit level .

So it should be like this : at the 1st level its the marble then at the 2nd is the spirit and at the 3rd level its the ruler.

Its a bit like the MIP tweak station but it costs nothing and i was wondering if i had to buy a tweak station or is mine OK ?

Thanks for any help please
I sort of can picture what you've made, but I can't picture how you intend for it to work... what is the marble for? How would you use this device?

Not trying to be glib or insulting here... I'm really puzzled...
Old 12-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im guessing the marble will be the pivotg point for the whole thing to lean left n right?! Im assuming...lol....
Old 12-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
Tech Elite

If that is indeed the plan, then I don't see it being able to work. The pivot point will be at the inerface between the marble and the surface on which the whole thing sits. With the pivot point that low, I don't think it will be possible to even get a a car to sit on the thing without it tipping.

Fist thing you'd want to try would probably be TWO marbles at the middle, so the ruler doesn't want to tip forward or backward... you'd still have the pivot very low, so I think the device would probable just want to tip to one side or the other too easily, and not sit centered... even when the car is correctly tweaked. I could be wrong tho...

If you do make this, I'd like to hear how it works out.

Last edited by Trips; 12-25-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Agreed...personally I would just buy one as they can be had fairly cheap.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:58 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The x-acto method never fails, just make sure your droop is set spot on, your camber is equal left and right, and your setup board is flat and level.

Basically, when your car is in full racing trim, set ride height, then find the exact center of the chassis. Use an x-acto to lift the car from the center edge of the chassis (either the front or the back) and keep an eye one which tire lifts first. This will be the oppisite corner of the vehicle where just a little more preload should be applied. This should be done front and back.

I bought a speedmind tweak station and i rarely use it mainly because its a PITA to set up and this method is cheaper faster!!

All you need is a steady hand, a good eye, and an x-acto!

NNFaN Paints - Add some pride to YOUR ride.
a_main_attendee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:46 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Thanks for your help guys but i will post some pics tomorow because the time i come back from holidays and get eady might take abitof time .

Yes , the marble is the pivot point but instead of puting a marbe i put a pen cap so its round and like a marble.

This is how it should work : put the front wheels on the ruler in the midle and leave the rear wheel on the setup board thats it ,so if you imagine , the front will be higher than the rear because the front wheels will be on te ruler ( around 3.5cm above the setup board and the rear will have its normall ride height).

I really want to know if it would work , its easy peasy simple but instead of buying a NEW one wich cost 40 , i would like to keep mine instead of buying one because i got for christmas some money and present but i will buy some tyres 40 2 sets+ a 12V battery 60 +a tyre warmer 30 and 1 5 cell pack 40 and all this is 170 wich is already over my budget so i cant add a tweak station wich will be even more !!!
So i would like to know if it works .
Its like the MIP station in the front with the spirit level and its pivoting but it just doesnt have the axle and the rear pode wich doesnt pivot .

Any help please
cyclone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:44 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Here's something that will work, forgive the poor drawing... It's two rulers, some 1/8" brass tubing, a piece of 3/32 music wire, a bubble level, and three blocks of equal size. Two of the blocks are glued to the ends of one ruler, the third block supportws the wire near the ruler with the bubble... not shown is the piece of wire... it should be reasonably clear... and cheap.

If you can't get the inch sizes of tubing and wire where you live, substitute metric, but keep the tubing size small enough to allow the car to sit on its wheels at ride height... 3mm should work, with the appropriate size wire...
Attached Thumbnails
Homemade tweak station .-tweak.gif  
Old 12-26-2008, 07:06 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Take a look at this one
Integy setup board with tweak bar 17x13x1/2 Tower stock # LXRJH8 $47.99

Set your back wheels on the bar and use one setup block under the chassis in the front, set the back, turn the car around do the front the same way.

Then do it again without the block, If it's off without the block your chassis is tweaked.

To do just your chassis use two setup blocks under your chassis, one on the bar and one on the board at the other end.

I hope this helps somebody.
Lazer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:14 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)
Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Guy View Post
Take a look at this one
Integy setup board with tweak bar 17x13x1/2 Tower stock # LXRJH8 $47.99

Set your back wheels on the bar and use one setup block under the chassis in the front, set the back, turn the car around do the front the same way.

Then do it again without the block, If it's off without the block your chassis is tweaked.

To do just your chassis use two setup blocks under your chassis, one on the bar and one on the board at the other end.

I hope this helps somebody.
thats a sweet setup there lazerguy that really helps me thanks for posting this im sending out for one today
CRC Gen XL / Xray 09 , t2r pro / CW sprint and CW rocket / Kyosho evolva m3 / Tekin rs / Futaba 4pks / Trinity / Dirtburners thanks Bill / 1/8th racers of Toledo / Trex chassi / Summit Race way / Stateline
LAZER SPEEDWAY where all else IS just a parking lot / Hobby Stop West Raceway
2056dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:40 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Your very welcome 2056 guy and I'm happy my post helped you, I tried to keep it simple.
You will also have to re-set your ride height when you are done and start over again, the first time will only get you in the ball park.
Lazer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote