R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Tips for installing HPI T-drift tires (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/262228-tips-installing-hpi-t-drift-tires.html)

Cheezburger 12-24-2008 03:55 PM

Tips for installing HPI T-drift tires

So i got these drifting tires today and i've been trying to install just one tire for about 3 hours now. I've tried putting the tires in boiling hot water for a minute. I've tried using brute strength. My hands are aching and bleeding. What the hell am i doing wrong???

Sirsh 12-24-2008 04:14 PM

Maybe theyre the wrong size (could be wrong) but i thought they slipped snup on and then you glue them down?:spidey:

a_main_attendee 12-24-2008 04:31 PM

Soap+water=less bleeding fingers.

Cheezburger 12-24-2008 04:48 PM

They're the right size. The tires are meant for 26mm wheels, which is what they are. Soap + water sounds interesting... I actually applied a bit of cooking oil to the rims of the wheels. No dice.... I should of just spent a few extra dollars to have them install it for me.

stocker 12-24-2008 06:49 PM

I had this problem fitting on my Kyosho wheels. Then I bought a set of Tamiya wheels and they fit much easier. I measured both wheels, and the kyosho wheels were a little bigger in diameter. The tire material is much harder that normal rubber tires, so wheel size can't be too big! :tire:

Cheezburger 12-24-2008 06:51 PM

Yea you're right. I think these wheels might be a little too big. It's gotta be... since i've tried absolutely everything to get these wheels in. It can't be this hard! Ugh, what a waste of $40.

Dark_gouki 12-24-2008 09:10 PM

yo put some water in a bowl microwave it for 2:30 seonds take the water out put all 4 tires in and leave them for 20 seconds then 1 by 1 put them on, it will be easy to slide them on trust me, and when they dry they will be super tight around the rim. BTW 1 minute is not long enough

Cheezburger 12-24-2008 09:44 PM

lol alright i'll give that a try... i'll leave it in for a really long time i guess. Thanks

Masato 12-24-2008 10:22 PM

Another method is to use a blow dryer.

http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/contents/...drift_tips.wmv

Cheezburger 12-24-2008 10:48 PM

I tried the hair dryer it doesn't work, it's like a step down from boiling hot water. Actually someone at another forum gave me a pretty good idea. His friend had the same problem, got mad, started stepping on it and he ended up getting it in haha.

Valentin.H 12-24-2008 11:05 PM

alright, i put on type Ts all the time, i actually pop all of mine on in about 3-5 minutes (including reboiling the water so its constantly hot..since i like to use a cup). the non treaded type Ts seem to be much easier to put on than the treaded ones...treaded seems to require a bit more muscle.

1.boil your water until it comes to a nice boil. i dont mean just starting to boil, i mean it really has to be BOILING! i'd say leave it to keep boiling for around an extra minute before pouring it into a mug/bowl.

2.now, pop in 1 or 2 type ts (if you are using a cup)
let the type Ts sit for around 20-30 seconds, now take a chopstick (sorry, im asian) or a fork and fish out a tire.

3. have the wheel spokes facing up, and pop on the tires from the FRONT! careful, it's hot! quickly work the rear of the tire over the front lip. then, with the palm of your hand, place it on the face of the wheel, and press down with force. you should here a "pop" or a "snap" meaning the tire is on (and hopefully, not a broken wheel! :lol: )

if you have anymore drift questions, dont be afraid to ask me. my aim is available on here. it's mrxvalentin

also, may i ask..what wheels are you using?

Cheezburger 12-24-2008 11:15 PM

Yea i think i found your post somewhere on google after some searching. It was what i was doing the whole time though, it just doesn't want to work for me lol. I'm using the HPI black colored mesh wheels with 3mm offset.

Valentin.H 12-24-2008 11:18 PM

what part are you having trouble with? trying to get the front bead of the tire over the front of the wheel?

what you might have found is monkey's post. he did a full tutorial and video tut..i'm using HPI te37s 6mm offset, and i fit type Ts on them no problem. they should be the same diameter since we're both using hpi wheels. maybe the meshies are just harder? i dont know... well, don't quit, last resort, use a screwdriver and pry it on...but do that from the back.

if you do manage to get the tires on..i dont care how well they are snug, glue them! also, you might want to try immediately throwing them in the freezer (if you use the boiling method). a buddy of mine says it helps the tire shrink onto the wheel more snugly b/c of the dramatic temp. change. iono, could work. but either way. GLUE GLUE GLUE! just 1 or 2 drops of good CA glue will work fine :)

Cheezburger 12-24-2008 11:40 PM

OMG IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE I GOT THEM ALL IN. I JUST BOILED THE TIRES THEN PUT THEM ON THE WHEEL AND STEPPED ON THEM AND BAM!!! YES!!!!

Valentin.H 12-25-2008 12:59 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

gj. make sure you glue em! have fun!