R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default RS4 Pro 2 question

Hey guys.. this is the same guy from the battery problems thread.. I truly and upset about the whole experience with constantly having to buy more and more things to maintian these Ni MH batteries that I am running. I am new to the hobby and not serious about it at all. I just want to have fun... I don't want to spend 200+ bucks just on batteries and accesories to maintain them.. Is there a way for me to run Lipo's in my chasis? If so please tell me... If not, this thing is probably gonna sit here for a long time.....I'm just frustrated is all...Everytime after I buy something I find out I need something else.. If my hobby shop told me everything upfront I probably wouldn't be pissed....
RS4Pro2GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

let me ask you this have you run the car yet with the batteries. If your just out to have fun and just run the car wha difference does it make if the batteries are matched. When you run the car does it seem down on voltage?
CREWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You can take the lipo and put it in like you would a stick pack and use battery tape to strap it in. Take off the NiMH battery holder so the Lipo says flat against the chassis.
You can also look into a saddle pack lipo. I think both SMC and Trackpower make one.
Kregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Well, truthfully I really don't know.. I have no previous experience.. The car ran really fast one time.. hasn't really ran the same since.. Maybe it is stupid, but I like to get what I paid for and I like consistancy.. Charging the car and not knowing if it will run great kinda sucks sometimes... Sometimes the batteries false peak and that is also frustrating.... When I was a kid I had a car that had the Lipo packs and all they needed was like a 15 minute charge and you could run them all day over and over and they ran the same... Not these.. twice a day if i am lucky with the 2 hour recomended cool down period before the next use.. 2 things I want.. consistancy and simplicity...
Old 12-23-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kregger View Post
You can take the lipo and put it in like you would a stick pack and use battery tape to strap it in. Take off the NiMH battery holder so the Lipo says flat against the chassis.
You can also look into a saddle pack lipo. I think both SMC and Trackpower make one.
Interesting.. Do these achieve the same amount of performance as the ones I currently have? if so then that is what I'll do !!! What do you recomend?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Reading your thread you got the ener-g cells. These are great cells but they do require alot of maitnece. Personally i would just run them.You just bashin so its not like they have to be matched. If you have a pack that you think is really off either take it back to the hobby shop or call up smc and see if you send them back if they would check them.

My advice run them have fun with them and when you get enough cash get a lipo but dont blow your bank. (remember this is a hobby and its supposed to be fun)
CREWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS4Pro2GT View Post
Interesting.. Do these achieve the same amount of performance as the ones I currently have? if so then that is what I'll do !!! What do you recomend?
If you mean the same as your NiMH, then yes. As for which ones, depends on what you want to do with the car. I use SMC (the regular pack, not the saddle)to race with right now but I'm not brand loyal. It happens to be what my hobbyshop/track carries.

Do a little research before you buy your lipo so you can figure out the capicity you want and find a good charger that can charge Lipos.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWMAN View Post
Reading your thread you got the ener-g cells. These are great cells but they do require alot of maitnece. Personally i would just run them.You just bashin so its not like they have to be matched. If you have a pack that you think is really off either take it back to the hobby shop or call up smc and see if you send them back if they would check them.

My advice run them have fun with them and when you get enough cash get a lipo but dont blow your bank. (remember this is a hobby and its supposed to be fun)
Thanks for the advice. I have lots of fun with it.. I am just kind of frustrated from the year I have had... The battery in my real mustang is dead also so I gotta do that tomorrow and it just piles up bro LOL..... Maybe the mustang Body brings bad luck as my RC car is also a 05 model mustang body LOL... Anyway.. thanks guys for all the help.... I hope to post pics of my car and some runs in the future... I'm not serious about it now, but one day I may be.. I got out of racing my Real life car as when things break it is a lot more expensive then if something breaks on an RC, not to mention safer.. And yes I kept it on the track.. ..I just wanted to finish this RC car that my dad and I started to build back when I was in middle school. i wanted to finish it and having running right as he passed away this past January of cancer so this car is very very sentimental to me as it was something we both worked on together... Thank you all and have a Merry Christmas and happy new year......
Sorry for the book...
Old 12-23-2008, 09:30 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys.. I'll just run it for now and have fun.. I'll use this pack as a driving practice pack I guess lol.. thanks again guys..
Old 12-23-2008, 11:44 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ok, I just saw this thread. Ha. I run saddle pack lipos in my rs4 pro 2. The trick is to find saddle packs that are not so tall as to hit the top deck. Anyway, I decided on and went with the reedy saddle pack 4800 mah. I've had really good luck with these and I've got them to fit into the car with a little work. I can take pictures and show you how if you would like. Let me know.
SpidarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:26 AM   #11
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidarX View Post
Ok, I just saw this thread. Ha. I run saddle pack lipos in my rs4 pro 2. The trick is to find saddle packs that are not so tall as to hit the top deck. Anyway, I decided on and went with the reedy saddle pack 4800 mah. I've had really good luck with these and I've got them to fit into the car with a little work. I can take pictures and show you how if you would like. Let me know.
Yeah sure.. Thanks.. PM them to me if you would like.. Where can I find these batteries? I may go that route in the future once these go out on me...
Old 12-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #12
Tech Master

Cool I didn't know that reedy made saddle packs as well.

All the saddle pack models are on Tower Hobbies web site if you want to see what they look like.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

Is this what you have?
http://www.rceasy.com/2008/05/08/ree...00mah-74v-20c/

If so, how much do they usually run? I couldn't find a price... I wont be getting them at this moment. However it is a def possibility in the future...

Never mind. Found price at Tower hobbies.. they are 109.99 over there....
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVCD8&P=7

I never would have expected to see that warning though heh...
Old 12-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yep, that's the saddle pack that I have. I'm away for christmas at the moment, but I'll try and take pictures at some point to show you how i have it installed in my car.
SpidarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #15
Tech Initiate

Great!!.. I notice that you are in Tallahasse... I'm in Jacksonville....