R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-23-2003, 12:34 PM   #76
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

I agree with that, Losi! I do like the fairly "bare bones" paradigm of this board. One reason I DON"T go to other places is because of the ridiculous signatures (not text - that's cool - but images, animated gif's, etc.. .. .. overboard imho) and other distracting crapolya.

I think that URL's in both sigs and in posts are well worth it.

Something that might be considered would be an expiration date on attachments? I don't know if that's even worth thinking about. . .probably not. I don't attach pics anymore so I don't think about that much.

Something you said about Googling, I agree with to a point. On one thread that I go to we have a guy who's REALLY good at finding strange RC related products/auctions/info in the stranges, most arcane places (as well as normal places) and every couple of days he will post a list of things he's found, for our entertainment/enrichment/en"poor"ment (some are expensive. . .) - point being is that I can't ever find these things and I'm GOOD at Googling (half my day is spent on it. . .) simple googles are one thing, but some people just suck at it!

Also, good point about adminning/moderating. I admin my Day-of-Defeat site and there are times when I pretty much just kick everyone because I'm tired of the crap ("Admin, he's cheating""Am not!" yadayadayada. . .). It does take time and effort and sensitivity (which I obviously don't have. . .heh heh)
Old 10-23-2003, 12:49 PM   #77
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
Something you said about Googling, I agree with to a point. On one thread that I go to we have a guy who's REALLY good at finding strange RC related products/auctions/info in the stranges, most arcane places (as well as normal places) and every couple of days he will post a list of things he's found, for our entertainment/enrichment/en"poor"ment (some are expensive. . .) - point being is that I can't ever find these things and I'm GOOD at Googling (half my day is spent on it. . .) simple googles are one thing, but some people just suck at it!
lol. Okay, here's an idea. Why not eliminate the posting of the URL in threads, and have the person keep it confined to Private Messages? That might accomplish a couple of things. 1.) It's going to limit who see's it - if it's not out for all to see, it's not doing much in the way of advertising. 2.) Eventually, the poster of the URL is going to get tired of sending multiple private mails. It could help keep the unpaid advertising in check.

Just ideas, really.

Rob
Rob Mincey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 01:11 PM   #78
Tech Elite

I like the URL's. . .they don't really cost anything in bandwidth since they don't host anything on the server and can be worth while - there were threads on the Reedy Race with links to the results pages, etc. In the Pan Car thread we link to a Babel-fished translation (poor) of the Japan Pro10 championships (huge) as well as european Pro10 sites, etc.

I think they're constructive things to keep around, although I do see your point.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:21 PM   #79
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

25 bucks a year for the "Premium R/C Racing Portal" is a good value. Once again, most important that the majority of the site is still free,to encourage growth and newcomers to post and be a member of the online community without dropping a dime.

I am sure you have a million ideas by now Shane. Thanks for asking the user community in regards to the direction that RCTECH is moving.

Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 01:53 PM   #80
Tech Elite

losi thanks 25 bucks is something to consider and boomer if you guys are playing games on that forum you visit i understand 50 for that is ok if its allowing some type of playfunction here its straight chat. we have magazines and other sources to gain knowledge granted i have learned quite a bit from this forum in the short time i have been visiting stuff that i have over looked in the 14 or so years i have been racing remember there are kids here aswell that cant afford to pay a subscrition .
and the par i dont understand is why does everyone to be special and have special features here and there plus access to this and that . why is it that even here everybody wants to be "special" lets all pay a basic 10 to 25 bucks and all have the same previlages. the only special ones should be the moderators who are in charge .

also even though the small companies dont have the same revenue for advertising as the large companies they still know they have to pay for advertising . now this only an example so dont slam me ! i think its bmi they are now here trying to push their conversion kit! plain and simple the guy is starting a buisness venture and anybody knows to start a company it is gonna be a money pit at first until they start making a profit but they have to pay their dues for advertising if they want their prodect to be seen.
r/c car action , xtreeme r/c or what ever
dont let them post an add for free they have to pay. they come here because they know its somewhat cheeper they are the lurks ! make them pay for the special treatment.
shane i know this topic is dragging on i do think your intitled to compensation for you time. when i get paid i will make a donation .
but for subscribtion pur[poses 10 to 25 bucks is about rite.

boomer i am sorry roar doesnt do anything for you but its nice to have an organization that you can used to have a chance at a national chamionship , which intern allows you to run with the best in the world and race with them at the world champs, sure there are plenty of none roar races but even in real life what counts is to be winston cup champion! not hooters cup, or your local baqck yard champion.
it is worth have a membership especially if a car hits youre foot and smashes you ankle guess what roar will pay for it thru the insurence we are entitled too!
Old 10-23-2003, 04:46 PM   #81
Tech Elite

shane! have you tried like getting a sponsor! someone willing to donate part of the money to run this sight. one of the big players or someone with enough dough to help you, it is a good idea think about finding a sponsor for the site ! just food for thought!
Old 10-23-2003, 05:05 PM   #82
R/C Tech Founder

Yes, I have thought about that -- and have actually had a number of offers -- but I'd rather not do that. To me, part of what makes this place great is the lack of a single sponsor. By remaining neutral, so to speak, we don't have to worry about what we say (to a point, obviously).
Old 10-23-2003, 05:30 PM   #83
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

This forum is simply the best RC forum around and hopefully it will stay that way. Things that make it so great are it's free to anyone and gets lots of people and advertising is present but it's not shoved down your throat like some forums, there is also a general friendly and relaxed atmosphere, mods only step in when needed.
To keep this forum going so strong I think it does need to remain free to users but that does not mean there can't be pay accounts. Let those who want to help out pay a monthly/yearly fee, $25 a year sounds reasonable, 50 is a little high IMO. Special area's or offers for those who do pay a fee is a good idea, if you can get advertisers to help out with offers and such. Even allowing simple things like avatars for subscribers sounds fine to me. Sure you've got to limit what non payers get, some may not think this is fair, but they will still have access to the majority of this great forum and be able to gain all the knowledge they want. Without free access the forum would dwindle to a few devoted visitors, but without paying users the forum may disapear all together.

I would have donated myself but I don't trust paypal at the moment, I'm certainly not giving them my credit card details. And if you need mods then I've got too much free time on my hands
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 10:01 AM   #84
Tech Elite

Speedxl -

I'm not disagreeing with most of your post. I think we're saying much the same things.

I'm also not trying to keep this going beyond reason, I'm just enjoying the discussion especially since we've been reasoned, sane and polite throughout! I like those, for some reason!

Ummm, Roar pretty much dropped my primary class (long story, see the 1/10th On Road thread in the Oval and Larger Scales forum) and hasn't done anything to entice me back to them. I put money places where there is some return, either enjoyment or monetary return. My game server (I pay more than anyone else because I can afford to) and this place returns enjoyment.

I won't slam you, but I will disagree with you - the small companies aren't really making any money. BMI is not going to be making hardly anything for the $100ish he's charging, not when you count time, machining wear (and carbon is hell on machining bits) and engineering time. He's doing what I want to do with my stuff - but he has the equipment and knowledge that I don't have. He's not making any money on it, I would be willing to bet. I do agree that he should be charged for a forum and advertising - but if Shane (and I don't know how much he charges now) raises prices, it's pretty much an axiom that he will lose customers. . .(after a point, obviously)

the big guys, like rcca or xrc, oh yeah - bleed them dry. They're pretty much useless mags. I did a count a few months ago, crossing 5 months of issues of each. Neither had more than 45% of their pages with 1/2 page of content - meaning 55%+ was ads. . .yeah, charge them an arm, leg and a test. . .

But, the paradigm, to me, is to keep the meat of the site free - the content, reading/posting/threading. A lot of the people on this thread are kids (Bubbles, for example) who can't afford to pay much anyway. Cool - free.

But to entice donations, if you want to call it that, some "useless" swag helps. The stuff that Frank and I mentioned in our little "strategy" is pretty much that - useless swag. But we would think it "cool" - and it would not change the real purpose of this forum, giving us a place to talk, discuss, help. Shoot, I don't really get much new knowledge out of this place, but I DO get a lot of enjoyment out of it. It's a place where I can keep in contact with my 1/10th Pan friends and meet new Nitro guys. It needs to be free, at the basic level.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:57 PM   #85
R/C Tech Founder

I am bringing this thread back after much thought and reading everything I've seen here. This is most likely what I'm going to use for future advertising policy relating to threads in forums.

First up: who can advertise?

Individual product/company threads will be allowed for companies that produce some form of original product. Kits, electronics, radio systems and the like are all examples of such products.

Companies that produce re-branded or re-packaged versions of existing products will be required to advertise in order to maintain a product/support thread. This includes battery matchers, motor tuners, and similar companies.

In the above cases, if a product qualifies as being allowed without the need for advertising, it is still expected that the thread will not be used for advertising purposes. Company representatives are welcomed and encouraged to interact with users and provide support in these cases, but things like web site deals and product promotions will still count as commercial advertising.

The reasoning behind this is simple: a GP3300 pack is still a GP3300 pack, regardless of which process it was matched with and where it came from. The same goes for a tuned Monster Stock motor, for example. Users with questions related to those products could easily find assistance in a GP3300 or Trinity Stock Motor thread. An ABC-matched pack or an XYZ-tuned motor still falls under the banner of the original product. ABC or XYZ specific information is considered promotiion.

It is my opinion that this is a fair deal. Those I have talked to who are paying for threads on here have told me that they are very much worth the $20/month, given the traffic they receive.

Next: Retail Threads and Commercial Forums

Retail threads will no longer be allowed outside of commercial-specific forums without an additional advertising fee. The same commercial forum fee of $20/month will allow an advertiser to place one such "ABC Retail" thread in a forum of their choosing. However, making "we have this or that in stock now" in other threads will be prohibited.

Meanwhile, the Commercial Forums will now be displayed as rotating subforums in the Electric, Nitro and Off-Road topic areas in addition to their regular spots. This will be worked into the design to minimize how much space it occupies, but still get much more "face time" for commercial forums.

This is in response to some feedback from forum advertisers who would like more exposure for their commercial forums. Cutting down the retail threads is a necessary measure to fight clutter and keep the forums on topic and most useful for the users.

More: Banner Advertising

Banner advertisers will no longer be allowed to create product threads outside of the rules outlined above. In other words, if a company matches batteries, a banner ad does not entitle them to a thread. It is up to the individual to decide which is more beneficial to their operation.

This change will bring things more in line and make it fair for everybody. Banner ad rates will increase to $40/month on January 1st, 2004, and the size limit will be raised from 15KB to 20KB. GIF and SWF animation is allowed, but no sound. Banner size is still 468x60.

And Finally: Subscriptions

Premium R/C Tech subscriptions will be available for $25/year. These do not count as donations, but rather as an additional feature.

Some of what you will get as a subscriber:

- an @rctech.net email account with a web-based interface and a 10MB quota
- access to multiple different forum "skins" with various color schemes
- access to video clips from large races
- special set of user ranks
- special icon denoting you as a subscriber
- larger signature size (existing sigs will be limited to a TBA size)
- other awesome special features that will be announced

There will probably be more than just that, but that is what I have so far and what I know I am capable of delivering.

There is some other information regarding software upgrades and a really cool new feature coming shortly. But I will save that stuff for a later post.

Please give me feedback here on what you think. I am hoping I was able to reach a common middle ground among most of you, and I can't say enough how much I appreciate all the feedback.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2003, 10:00 AM   #86
Tech Fanatic

Futureal - great ideas. I'll be subscribing either at CHristmas, or when subscriptions become available.

Rob
Rob Mincey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 03:33 PM   #87
Tech Elite

fair deal i am for it.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:56 PM   #88
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Intermision Send a message via Yahoo to Intermision

I just want to ask somthing. If we don't subscribe will we loose any of the features we currently have?
Intermision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 04:44 PM   #89
R/C Tech Founder

No, other than limited signature size. Nothing else will be lost. Susbcribing is completely optional.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:46 PM   #90
Tech Master

Sounds good Shane. When do you think this will take place?
Peter Busch is offline   Reply With Quote