R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-20-2003, 08:47 PM   #46
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by PitCrew
I am a little disturbed by the fact that I see this thread was created in response to my creation of a thread entitled Birdman Motors. Although my Avatar says Birdman, I did not make, nor are their any references in any way of my trying to "Sell" any merchandise through this site. There is no contact info in any way that I have posted. I see their are threads for other "Tuners" motors and batteries. Some are "Paying" advertisers, and others are not.

The birdman thread was Locked. ... Why?
I told you why it was locked, and if you'd like to discuss it more, PM me rather than posting things here that you obviously don't understand. There have been MANY other threads closed here -- just ask Warpspeed, BMI, and many others, for example -- who were not advertisers at the time. The reason many of those threads are allowed is because they ARE advertising.

Yes, you may not work or be employed by the company, but that doesn't change it when a thread becomes advertising-oriented. Motor tuning companies and battery matching companies are specific examples because they do not produce any original products, they are re-branding and tweaking existing products. As a result, anything covered in the thread is specific to the tuning company and not the products themselves.

I guarantee you that any thread -- SO FAR, pending any change to policy -- covering a motor tuning or battery matching company that is not already an advertiser has been closed.

As I've stated many times, it's not because I'm trying to be a jerk or single people/companies out. Look no further than this thread to see why the policy is the way it is, and also see that I am trying to change it because of many of the things you are complaining about. There's no need to come after me and claim that I'm being unfair.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:52 PM   #47
R/C Tech Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by university_dave
Bandwidth, well lets take 'Cole Trickle' as an example. With 33 words in his signature, and 1044 posts in total, it means there are 34,452 words somewhere on this forum that are totally and utterly pointless.
There is a common misconception about what bandwidth is and how it affects the forum. (And I'm not singling you out university_dave, just happened to quote your post, heh).

First, bandwidth is the amount of data being transferred from this site to other computers on the internet. So each time you visit the page, the amount of data transferred to your computer is added to the total for the month. Text is compressed on-the-fly and thus is not that bad, but the graphics, attachments, photos and that sort of thing take up an awful lot.

What you are referring to (number of posts on the forum, size of signatures and so on) is all just data being stored in our hard drive array, and nothing more. We have plenty of hard drive space! So that is not really a concern. Keeping all the old posts on here is important, since that is part of what makes this place great: a continually renewing resource and repository of information.

Also, signatures are only stored in a single spot, along with a user's information. When you click on a thread to view it, the signatures are pulled from the database, and not actually stored along with the posts.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:46 PM   #48
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to LaxRacer

futureal ... Thanks Didn't even know that feature was there, like I said I have gotten so numb to it, that I just filter out the excess clutter. (like I said before ... its there but doesn't detract from the content on the site.)

its little things, maybe its nostalgic for the old text days of less fluff more content. (Old starting grid good example).

But I would definately approach the major companies that you have links for like the manufactuers, and see what they can do. You might need to start taking a more active role in marketing your product (not saying you don't cuz I don't know that) seek out ads, and such not just those that approach you.

But I think you are on the right track. You always have been.

C
LaxRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 10:51 PM   #49
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Macky
[B] What bothers me is the fact that people seem to want something in return for donating. If the site is so good why not just donate $10 or so.
I do expect something in return, good content, and I get it, however I was simply stating that if you could find a way to offer a drawing that could only be entered into by donating that would "motivate" others that donot donate to do so........

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:57 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

I subscribe to a technology site called arstechnica which is one of the larger forum sites around (it started with a bunch of Post Grads and Post-Docs at MIT. . .you can guess how "geeky" it is - they wrote an article comparing the G4, the P4 and the PS2's main processor unit architecture. . .actually an interesting read . . .)

Anyway, they have an interesting subscription service going.

ANYONE can post. ANYONE can read nearly any thread. ANYONE can have NORMAL signatures and profiles.

SUBSCRIBERS can post to any thread, even some restricted ones. SUBSCRIBERS can read any thread. SUBSCRIBERS get to use specific titles, have better avatars, have images in their profiles. In addition, Subscribers have access to articles forever, rather than for a limited time. This is something like $50ish per year.

Then they have another level that pretty much has unlimited posting rights, more goofy things they can do with their profile/signature. They also get a reasonable amount of space to host images.

I think that a subscriber system like this might work. I know that I would love to have an image space here (well, I have my own that I use, but it might be nice, neh?) and stuff like that. Access to articles (I would even be willing to write some. . .) and technical pieces.

Services like this don't really cost much more. But they do add more perceived value.

What think you?
Old 10-21-2003, 12:01 AM   #51
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Macky
I've read nothing but high praise for this forum and the job Shane is doing. Everyone sems to think it is one of the best if not the best forums on the internet. What bothers me is the fact that people seem to want something in return for donating. If the site is so good why not just donate $10 or so. I for one think this is "THE BEST" forum around relating to rc. All the information you can get. Setup help. Build help. You name it and it's on here. You even get to talk to Pro, semi-pro, and great drivers. I'm not sure how many people here have sold an item on Ebay before, but if you do you can bet you'll be paying Ebay some money. Now how many people have sold items on here and didn't pay a "red cent". I for one have sold many items on here without having to pay anything to Shane. Is this fair? Some say yes. I think different. Whenever I sell a few items I donate some of my money back to make RC Tech a better forum. You know it's kind of like giving back. I know there are a lot on teens and people going to college that can't really afford to donate even a penny. I also know that there are plenty of people that could donate. Sorry for the long post but I had to vent. I will keep donating and the only thing I expect/want in return is for RC Tech to be there for me when I get online. Wouldn't it be pretty bad if this site just shut down because of the out of pocket money and time Shane puts into this site. Does anyone remember RCTouring? A great source of information that just disappeared overnight. I don't know about you but I don't want that to happen here. This sight has helped me learn more about rc. It has kept me awake at work on the 3rd shift(shiftwork sucks). It has also helped me becomes friends with some great guys. Let's keep it going.
By the way, I completely agree!

Futureal, I will send you a donation next week (I get paid Friday, so nothing will happen until then. . .heh heh)

I've looked at other RC boards and this is the ONLY one that I return to. This is my RC Posting Home. Nothing else comes close.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:02 AM   #52
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by LaxRacer
futureal ... Thanks Didn't even know that feature was there, like I said I have gotten so numb to it, that I just filter out the excess clutter. (like I said before ... its there but doesn't detract from the content on the site.)

its little things, maybe its nostalgic for the old text days of less fluff more content. (Old starting grid good example).

But I think you are on the right track. You always have been.

C
Old style like the old Newsgroups - threaded conversations with no graphics or funky signatures. . .boy, those were the days. I really do miss them.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:53 AM   #53
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Macky Send a message via Yahoo to Macky

Quote:
Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
I do expect something in return, good content, and I get it, however I was simply stating that if you could find a way to offer a drawing that could only be entered into by donating that would "motivate" others that donot donate to do so........
Maybe I phrased that wrong. I too expect good content. I wasn't talking about the statement you made. I was talking about the statements others made earlier in the post.
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 02:08 PM   #54
R/C Tech Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
Old style like the old Newsgroups - threaded conversations with no graphics or funky signatures. . .boy, those were the days. I really do miss them.
This feature is included in vBulletin 3, the next evolution of the forum software. Right now it is Beta, with the first Release Candidate (RC) due soon.

Once the software is officially released and stable, I will begin work on converting R/C Tech over to it.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:25 PM   #55
Tech Elite

OH COOL! Wow! I never mentioned it before since NOBODY uses it. . .but that's COOL!
Old 10-21-2003, 04:55 PM   #56
Tech Fanatic

I agree with the basic subscriber model, here are some ideas off the top of my head:

Free: Anyone can sign up.
No avatar. No sig file. No post count shown. Standard, basic personal info on the basic vB info page. Can post in threads (or not, you decide) but cannnot create threads.

Standard: $1 or $2 a month, charged annually.
Can choose a standard avatar from a basic list. Short sig file. Can create threads. Post count shows below name. (moderators can be given this type of access for free)

Full: $3 or $5 a month, charged annually.
All of the above, plus can post in limited-access forums and have custom avatars and titles.

Advertiser: $10 a month or more, or whatever you charge.
All of the above, plus hosts their own forum (which they can moderate) dedicated to their shop/product line. Charge extra for 120x120 ads, more for standard size banner ads.

Just some ideas. Haven't thought them fully through but like many others here I like the subscriber model. vB can be modded to do just about anything so it won't be hard to find somebody to do the hacks on vbulletin.org.

The main problem with going to something like this is that you don't know how many people will stay with the site and pay or exactly how many lurkers you have until you switch. Maybe a good idea would be to boil down all the ideas you get and have three options to present the visitors on a poll, and let the visitors choose, or at least have their say on what they'd be willing to do.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:07 PM   #57
Tech Elite

I like your model, Frank, but I think I would modify it just slightly -

Generic User - Standard Avatar only. 64 character text signature only (no html, no images, no bold/italic/etc.) No post count. Standard basic personal info. Can read/reply.

Standard - $20/year or $2/month - Standard Avatar. Unlimited (reasonable) text signature (plus bold, italics, colors, etc). Post Count. Typical titles (like we have now). More personal info listed. Can read/reply/start threads.

Full - $50/year or $5/month - Custom avatar, Unlimited (reasonable) text, including effects and HTML. Post counts. Custom titles. Direct links to ICQ, AIM, Yahoo, etc. (I know this can be done. . .not sure on VB, but I know it works on UBB. . .). Can read/reply/start threads. possibly 5 Megs of image hosting (only an idea). . .

Advert - bleed 'em dry (j/k) - whatever you want. . .
Old 10-22-2003, 10:49 AM   #58
Tech Adept

Default ads

pop ups are evil, and i certainly wouldn't want to have junk in my e- mail, but more banners and a clear defined line of right and wrong: if you gain any financial advantage from a compant, you shouldn't START a threat about it!

i am on a serious budget and i know that because r/c is such an expensive hobby i couldn't afford to pay much dues for this site, no matter how obsessed with it i am!

raising ad fees slightly , adding more banners, and setting a clear difining line for forum threads should be a good solution!
tc3rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 10:53 AM   #59
Tech Elite

tc3rookie - what do you think of Frank's (and my) tiered subscription model?

Even if you don't have any money, you can still post/read as much as you want; you just don't have as many of the "neat" features that really don't have much to do with the real substance of this place. . .
Old 10-22-2003, 10:53 AM   #60
Tech Adept

Default one more idea

if you have lasted this long you can make it! i think paypal for donations from those of us concerned with the furure of our favorite r/c site! a lot of us could spare a few bucks to save rctech, i know i could!
tc3rookie is offline   Reply With Quote