R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-18-2003, 06:10 PM   #31

I'm sure serious racers and enthusiasts like myself wouldn't mind paying a few dollars to use this great site, but I'm also sure there are people out there who would not agree. Charging for usage may turn off a lot of people, such as those who only occasionally use RC Tech, which would hurt the site as its community became smaller. You guys are right though, pop ups would be too annoying. Maybe just more on-the-site advertising is the answer.
2Tenths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 09:05 PM   #32
Tech Apprentice

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I really like this site. I want it to stay. I don't subscribe, but I didn't know the financial end of it either. I think it would be acceptable that every "level" you move up is accompanied by a little PM reminder of the financial situation [Rookie excepted of course]. See the NPR guys for how to approach this without alienating those who can't/won't pay.

Banner Ads are a tough way to make a living, especially with the lack of major mail order (internet, 1800RCPARTS, whatever) hobby shops surviving out there (count the number of multipage RCCA ads from hobby shops you see, it's way down). If you can attract the manufacturers you may have a better chance at generating some revenue. Otherwise the market is pretty tight and the ROI story for them may not be all that great [making it great for ROI turns it into RCCA, which loses your readers, it's a funny world sometimes].

You might also see if you can hook a trade for servers and bandwidth from the advertisers rather than $$$. Some of these guys [tower, AE, HPI, eHobbies] got some serious compute holding them up, and 10 months of the year (Xmas is coming) they've probably got more than they need. It might work.

Mostly, you need to let us know how we can help, I've seen a couple of LHS work some miracles by appealing to the racers. Let us know what you need so we can respond.
weissjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 11:05 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

I'd be more than willing to pay a yearly subscription fee, but if it goes to Futureal selling his email address list to advertisers, I'm outta here. I get enough spam and crud as it is.

Rob
Rob Mincey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 11:47 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Come on Rob click me, just a guy wanting you smugle in me money from zimbawe-did I spell that right?? Come on-click click, click it...

Hey futurereal, how about a rolling banner of the advertisers instead of the one you got and it can be at the top of each page out of the way of anything. That way you can have multiple of advertisers so people won't have to wait to refresh the pages.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 12:37 AM   #35
R/C Tech Founder

Rolling banners like that would consume a ton of bandwidth, which is actually the most costly part of running a large site like this.

Regarding pop ups, fear not: there will never be any pop up ads here! They are the bane of the internet, as far as I'm concerned!

Good discussion so far, I will respond more later. It's 2 AM and I'm out of juice. Need to recharge.
Old 10-19-2003, 02:12 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Alright futurereal, what about keeping the same type and size banner but have 2 or 3 advertisers on it that way nothings rollin and you are help advertising like you want to do. Hey, I got faith in ya, you can do it.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:04 AM   #37
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by ECHOLogic
Adververtising is the way to go. How about No pop-ups and rotating (auto refresh) banners at the top of the page. Email banner advertising would work as well. And the not so popular idea is to sell your email list to paid advertisers.

I agree with >>>posted by TimPotter.

Standard Free access - People can post, and get email notifications.

Premium Access. as above + avatar's +picture embedding, + site linking+current race coverage, + Promotional deals from advertisers that are only available to Premium Access members.
I think this sums it up pretty good.

I'll add, that this site is of great value and even though I havent donated, I would pay for the premium access.

Maybe you should start a poll, to get an idea of the level of paying? 12 $ pr. year sounds reasonably to me, but what if paying people double, if the rate is 8$ ? difficult to say, but maybe the poll.... or if you could get in contact with some people with experience in this....
Old 10-20-2003, 09:36 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

How about adding perks to the donation??
Say each month a new company offers up a product for free give away, and you enter for the giveaway by donating to the site, say it it's a set of 3 spur gears the minimum donation would be $2, if it's bigger like a car kit then the donation minimum would be $10 to be ebntered into the drawing.....

This would be win-win for everybody the consumers would see the possability for an extra "perk" return on their investment, the company would be seen as a "good guy" and could write off the donation, and RCTech gets the much needed funds to keep going....

This could also be used as a tool for better advertising for the company because you could do a review and make a nice special article just for the product....... I mean 95% of us on this forum hold the opinions of each other higher than those of (insert various magazine names here).....

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 02:02 PM   #39
Tech Elite

donations are fine but there are a lot of people that enjoy this site because its free
but asking, or excuse me forcing people to subscribe like a magazine would make people go else where. it should be the moderators jobs to police the post
another way to free up the bandwiths is to delete or put away the threads that arent being replied to any more and delete them. there are a few useless threads the are idle not being look at
time to clean house .
its plain and simple if youre selling something on here and your are found out to be a manufacture then you should pay if not then youre blocked.
another idea is if your selling something lets say in a classified section like a lot of people do here you should pay a flat fee to post what you have for sale.
but if we are just posting threads and replying it should be left up to us to donate money and not forced to subscribe just to have a perc or two.

if youre a manufacture you pay, if you sell something you pay.
you have to pay ebay when you sell anything right!
Old 10-20-2003, 03:53 PM   #40
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by speedxl another way to free up the bandwiths is to delete or put away the threads that arent being replied to any more and delete them. there are a few useless threads the are idle not being look at
time to clean house .
Bandwidth, well lets take 'Cole Trickle' as an example. With 33 words in his signature, and 1044 posts in total, it means there are 34,452 words somewhere on this forum that are totally and utterly pointless.

I also frequent a UK forum which has the following attitude to advertising;

7: Advertising: This can be a particularly problematic one and does rely on the sensibility of the posters and the stance taken by the local moderator. That said, this forum is provided, at great expense, free of charge to you all and the owner does not have to provide free advertising as well! This is a UK based forum, provided primarily for UK members and as such we would prefer that you support the UK model shops at all times. The general rule is that while the inclusion of the name of a model related company is acceptable, be it a shop, dealer, distributor or importer, the name is all that will be allowed. This will only be tolerated where it is a genuine attempt to assist or guide someone. You should refrain from supplying any contact info, address, or web site info, you can of course send this information if you feel inclined to, by the PM system - do not post it in the public forums! If the person is interested enough they will do their own research following your pointer.
However any post containing blatant and/or repeated advertising or just trying to be "smart" will result in that post being "corrected" accordingly, as will any person who appears to be repeatedly posting company names.

If you want people to pay for advertising rights on the site, then this is the sort of problems you are going to come up against.
university_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 04:06 PM   #41
Tech Elite

I am a little disturbed by the fact that I see this thread was created in response to my creation of a thread entitled Birdman Motors. Although my Avatar says Birdman, I did not make, nor are their any references in any way of my trying to "Sell" any merchandise through this site. There is no contact info in any way that I have posted. I see their are threads for other "Tuners" motors and batteries. Some are "Paying" advertisers, and others are not.

The birdman thread was Locked. ... Why?

The thread was started to discuss tuning options for these motors, just like the TC3 forum.. Wouldn't that be an advertisement for AE, or how about the XXXs, XRay, etc forums that are up. I see a number of the regulars in those threads have links in their signatures, as well as company specific Avatars.

If indeed you intend to enforce this rule, make it fair for everyone who wants to learn about whats out there.

It should be then, Touring car forum. Offroad car forum. Electric Motor forum, Battery forum. Nothing more specific than that.

Thanks!
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 04:57 PM   #42
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Macky Send a message via Yahoo to Macky

I've read nothing but high praise for this forum and the job Shane is doing. Everyone sems to think it is one of the best if not the best forums on the internet. What bothers me is the fact that people seem to want something in return for donating. If the site is so good why not just donate $10 or so. I for one think this is "THE BEST" forum around relating to rc. All the information you can get. Setup help. Build help. You name it and it's on here. You even get to talk to Pro, semi-pro, and great drivers. I'm not sure how many people here have sold an item on Ebay before, but if you do you can bet you'll be paying Ebay some money. Now how many people have sold items on here and didn't pay a "red cent". I for one have sold many items on here without having to pay anything to Shane. Is this fair? Some say yes. I think different. Whenever I sell a few items I donate some of my money back to make RC Tech a better forum. You know it's kind of like giving back. I know there are a lot on teens and people going to college that can't really afford to donate even a penny. I also know that there are plenty of people that could donate. Sorry for the long post but I had to vent. I will keep donating and the only thing I expect/want in return is for RC Tech to be there for me when I get online. Wouldn't it be pretty bad if this site just shut down because of the out of pocket money and time Shane puts into this site. Does anyone remember RCTouring? A great source of information that just disappeared overnight. I don't know about you but I don't want that to happen here. This sight has helped me learn more about rc. It has kept me awake at work on the 3rd shift(shiftwork sucks). It has also helped me becomes friends with some great guys. Let's keep it going.
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:17 PM   #43
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd
Thumbs up

What Macky said. This is the BEST SITE ON THE NET FOR RC!!
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:02 PM   #44
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to LaxRacer

As a lurker.....

Just food for thought.

All this talk about paying for the enhancemeant of your personal features, for everyone else to see. Lets reverse that. I for one would pay a pretty premium not to see everyone's personal touches. Allow me to get to just the content of the site, and not the well bull sh|t ... excuse my french. Thats been one of the most annoying parts to this site, sense its started. Not to put a gripe about the site, because there are lots that I love.

The problem with features like that are that people have become numb to the rolling banners, pop ups, advertising, etc ... and won't pay for it.

So what do we do for Shane ??? I would suggest shane, unfortunatly that no matter what it calls for you to do some work. Talk to those that you advertise for, ask them is advertising really working ? (though you could be showing your hand) If its not ... then you should really consider making us a pay site

And well like you have done with this thread... Ask us what we are willing to do??? Anyone thought of a fee for starting a for sale thread ? (Though it could be seen as an acceptance of the truthfulness of posts *I don't think you want that*) What about an invoicing of posting / lurking ? And devise a way to charge those that use the most, and enforce login procedures such that you can charge accordingly. as a lurker a per post flat rate wouldn't be any good for me... but per hit to the site *3 to fortimes a day for me*

last note on who is advertising and the question of what is advertising ??? How is whats new at abc ... or Just in at abc any different then ... where can I find xyz for the best price ??? or this specialty part for car pdq ... or I just got this at mno for this much ... All of these lead to a sale / profit for a shop, and in the ideal world RC tech should get a kick back, so at issue would be how to get that kick back ???

Sorry for the lengthy post ... but I don't post often and when I do I want to get it all in.

C
LaxRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:41 PM   #45
R/C Tech Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by LaxRacer
All this talk about paying for the enhancemeant of your personal features, for everyone else to see. Lets reverse that. I for one would pay a pretty premium not to see everyone's personal touches. Allow me to get to just the content of the site, and not the well bull sh|t ... excuse my french. Thats been one of the most annoying parts to this site, sense its started. Not to put a gripe about the site, because there are lots that I love.
Out of curiosity, are you referring to not seeing things like peoples avatars, signatures, and that sort of thing? If so, those features are already part of the software (via User Control Panel -> User Options).

If not, please elaborate on what you mean by not seeing peoples' personal touches...