R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-17-2003, 08:21 PM   #16
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Last edited by MDawson; 10-22-2003 at 11:18 AM.
MDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 08:33 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal

The problem with subscriptions is that it would stunt the growth of the site. Sure, a good number of people would be willing to pay a small fee, but I think a much larger number would rather go somewhere else.
We've all seen how People can be more concerned about saving $2 than the quality of the product their receiving.

Commercial advertising is when a Company representative is purposely promoting their wares for financial gain. This is a service that is normally charged for in every type of Media.

A Racer touting the benefits of ABC Batteries or XYZ Sprockets, should have nothing to gain financially from this and it would be unreasonable to censor him/her as such.

Just my $.020
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 08:49 PM   #18

futureal: I am not sure I understand exactly what you are asking, but I wouldn't mind more advertising (banners, pop-ups etc.) if they were RC related and helped you keep the site open. Actually the ads can tell users about RC products they would want to know about anyway, and instead of hunting down information from the company's website, the information could be close at hand in the ad.

Another idea: Why not start a new forum dedicated to advertisers, where they could post all they wanted about upcoming products. I know many racers would be interested in such a section, and at the same time it would keep advertisers from posting in the regular threads, the problem you said you might have. You could charge the companies (hobby shops, manufacturers etc.) to post in the advertising section, raising money and at the same time keeping the site free for regular users.
2Tenths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 11:36 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Hmm

This is a tough topic, as there are many ways to discuss what is in the best intrest

This is one of the largest RC based message boards that is not commecrically based. Because there is no financial backing, the finances fall upon shane and the advertisers. Shane, what kind of rates are there for banner advertisers?

I am really keen on the idea that there is a donation option. Give the ones who donate extra benifits like possibly the following:

One of the largest uses of bandwith, and often a reason for a visitor to check out a sight is for the classifieds. Why not set a per month limit that one can advertise on the classifieds? If one donates, allow them a larger alocation. This will both help cut down potentially flakey, one time traders from advertising/spamming, and allows more credible/veteren users to benefit.

The T shirt/hat idea is pretty cool, but it will also cost shane out of pocket and time for processing and mailing the little gifts.

The thread issue is a tough one to moderate. How do we know that the person starting a thread about a cool new product or company dosent have some sort of vested intrest in it? I know i've been guilty of that. It's really hard to tell, as the line between info and advertising is blurred...

The donation idea is a fantastic idea...however, there needs to be some sort of fringe benifit to entice a larger portion of the population to contribute.
dynamic_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 11:49 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Last edited by MDawson; 10-22-2003 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:17 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Shane,

I am not sure if it was mentioned yet. But different levels of access.

Standard Free access - People can post, and get email notifications.

Premium Access. as above + avatar's +picture embedding, + site linking+current race coverage, + Promotional deals from advertisers that are only available to Premium Access members.

Something like that......

Give ya a value add for becoming a premium member, but still lets the site grow with free users.

my .02
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 08:29 AM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to SpeedyTC3 Send a message via AIM to SpeedyTC3 Send a message via MSN to SpeedyTC3 Send a message via Yahoo to SpeedyTC3

Futurereal:
The idea of having a subscription to premium services in my opinion is not a bad idea. I currently subscribe to several sites that are both Premium/Non-Premium based. With the premium services you do have access to more bandwidth, extra features not included in the non-members areas. This is an absolute great idea.
All of the ideas given in this post have extraordinary value. I especially support turning off the ability to link to another website via signature posts. Thus elimenating free advertising for those with vested interests.
This site is the most informative RC based site I have been on. And it is consistent. I do not think that this site has gotten so popular just because it's free. We have real racers posting real useful information which cannot be had from the publications. Not to belittle them, because there is useful information in the magazines as well. However, when I need instant info on a particular item, or setup, etc. I click onto RC tech and BANG, there it is. I do not have to wait another 30 days and wait to see if pot luck is on my side and the magazine is going to cover the issue I need information on. See what I am saying? There is alot of useful information on these pages, and I for one would not mind a yearly subscription to this site. If it will keep it going? Then why not?
Then again, with all of the avenues you have to explore with how to approach this issue, I'm sure that ultimately the best decision will be made. Either way, you have my full support.

Last edited by SpeedyTC3; 10-18-2003 at 05:36 PM.
SpeedyTC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 09:10 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Super Steve

As long as the premium fee isn't alot, I am sure people would pay up!
Super Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 09:54 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Default Donations???

Guys;

There has been a link at the top of each page for you to click on and make donations for what, the past year?

Have you?
Old 10-18-2003, 10:48 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Macky Send a message via Yahoo to Macky
Default Re: Donations???

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
Guys;

There has been a link at the top of each page for you to click on and make donations for what, the past year?

Have you?
I agree with popsracer. Maybe we can all start by donating a few dollars.
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 11:12 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default LOL

I didnt notice that donate paypal icon untill last night....I dontated, thanks for the service you provide shane!

Anybe, you can do a donation campaign or something...not many notice that donate key on top...
dynamic_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 11:57 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Default Re: Donations???

Last edited by MDawson; 10-22-2003 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:40 PM   #28
Tech Adept

Adververtising is the way to go. How about No pop-ups and rotating (auto refresh) banners at the top of the page. Email banner advertising would work as well. And the not so popular idea is to sell your email list to paid advertisers.

I agree with >>>posted by TimPotter.

Standard Free access - People can post, and get email notifications.

Premium Access. as above + avatar's +picture embedding, + site linking+current race coverage, + Promotional deals from advertisers that are only available to Premium Access members.
ECHOLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 01:49 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Default No Pop-up Ads

PLEASE!!! No pop-up ads.

I'm sure that I am not alone when I say that I will completely avoid a site just because of the pop-ups.

(And Yes, I have donated already.)
Old 10-18-2003, 02:46 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Pop-ups ads will kill this site.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote