R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez
Default Should Stock Brushed Motors go away in higher level events?

Just a question....

your thoughts?
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

...You mean they HAVEN'T already?
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Tech Addict

I have a better chance driving by a dinosaur on my way to work than seeing a brushed "stock" motor being used at the club. Why should big races big different?
Adam? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
Tech Legend

Could care less what happen`s to stock , I don`t race that class anyway...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm one of the few that actually like messing with an tuning brushed motors... However, it has become quite clear that it's time to let it go.

However, my concern with brushless has always been that it's going to end up being more expensive to run than brushed motors ever were. With a "stock" brushless motor costing more than a mod motor did a couple years ago something seems amiss. Especially when you consider that all brushless motors are not created equal like so many people liked to think when they were first on the RC scene. I fear we're not far from having guys buying as many handout motors as they're allowed at $60 a pop just to find the best one. If that ends up being the case bushless motors have done little for the hobby other than prove that were lazy and don't want to put a little effort into going fast.
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i think they should still be allowed. But I think that the weight limit should be raised, so that everyone is running with the same handicaps

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

By higher level I would hope you mean regionals and higher.
But yeah, I only know of a few guys I race with that still run brushed in stock,and that's only at a club level.But maybe 1 more year of brushed stock for those guys who are still fighting the change.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez View Post
Just a question....

your thoughts?
Go away? What's a stock brushed motor?

Honestly, let them dwindle and die. At least all the old stock will dry up and the local hobby shops won't be left with inventories of brushes, springs and assorted motors. Let nature take its course.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Could care less what happen`s to stock , I don`t race that class anyway...

Thanks for the input Maybe don't post in the thread then. Or maybe you could go over to the offroad forum and comment on some of their threads if you don't race offroad. It would be about as constructive...
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Not sure that anyone is using them (brushed motors) much anymore, unless it is spec racing. I know that in our neck of the racing community, I'm not seeing brushed except for spec racing and that can hardly be called a "higher level event" This is a real good question the RcTech people and the racing community too. Right now "if" the weight rule stands in 1/12 scale (795gm) for the Nationals, I "believe" like last years Nationals in Omaha you "will" see brushed motors in stock at the Nationals this year.

My opinion's of course
Old 12-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdMod View Post
By higher level I would hope you mean regionals and higher.
But yeah, I only know of a few guys I race with that still run brushed in stock,and that's only at a club level.But maybe 1 more year of brushed stock for those guys who are still fighting the change.
Also hopefully this goes for off road also.I know usually roar is fair across the board as far as electric motor rules go,so I would hope this would be no different if this is the route that is chosen.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #12
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike View Post
Thanks for the input Maybe don't post in the thread then. Or maybe you could go over to the offroad forum and comment on some of their threads if you don't race offroad. It would be about as constructive...
Your welcome

As far I`m concern stock is bad for the sport .

I like the idea of using slower motor`s for beginners though , just hate to see the sport divided by motor`s instead of experience...

You can`t have it both ways , there has to be a expert class & beginner class if we wish this sport to keep alive & growing...

I`m hoping you can understand and all this will all change someday.....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike View Post
I'm one of the few that actually like messing with an tuning brushed motors... However, it has become quite clear that it's time to let it go.

However, my concern with brushless has always been that it's going to end up being more expensive to run than brushed motors ever were. With a "stock" brushless motor costing more than a mod motor did a couple years ago something seems amiss. Especially when you consider that all brushless motors are not created equal like so many people liked to think when they were first on the RC scene. I fear we're not far from having guys buying as many handout motors as they're allowed at $60 a pop just to find the best one. If that ends up being the case bushless motors have done little for the hobby other than prove that were lazy and don't want to put a little effort into going fast.
Finally, someone who looks at this hobby like I do. The best part of this hobby for me is spending time tinkering with motors and such to get more performance. I am tired of the laziness that has come into this. What is wrong with cleaning and working on motors during the week? I say let those of us who like tuning brushed motors and maybe aren't ready to go brushless keep running a stock brushed motor. If it's not competitive, that means you have to work a little and try to get better.

A fast car and the latest equipment will NOT make you a better driver.
OvalDude99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:17 PM   #14
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdude View Post
Not sure that anyone is using them (brushed motors) much anymore, unless it is spec racing. I know that in our neck of the racing community, I'm not seeing brushed except for spec racing and that can hardly be called a "higher level event" This is a real good question the RcTech people and the racing community too. Right now "if" the weight rule stands in 1/12 scale (795gm) for the Nationals, I "believe" like last years Nationals in Omaha you "will" see brushed motors in stock at the Nationals this year.

My opinion's of course
That was my plans I saved all my brushed motors for such a need
-Wayne
Old 12-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We had the Region 1 Carpet Champs 2 weeks ago. From 80 entries, I think I saw 2 brushed motors.

I will have to double check, but I believe everyone in the 1/12 A main was running brushless, even though the min weight was 794 grams.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote