R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Charger Question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/261737-charger-question.html)

xman 12-21-2008 10:03 PM

Charger Question

I have a Ripmax Pro Peak Prodigy II charger with no instructions as I bought it used. I am using a Trak Power 4900 lipo battery that I run in my TC5. I have not used the charger as yet due to the lack of a power supply. A friend charged the battery last week at the track with his MRC 977. My question is what rate should I charge the battery and how long will it take? Also do you ever need to discharge a lipo via a discharger? I have a balancer for the charger and Lipo cut off on the car. Can I run the charger from a car battery for power as I run my starter box that way at the track when running nitro touring?

Thanks for all the help. Old to nitro but new to Lipos.

xman 12-22-2008 03:29 PM

With 33 views surely someone can offer some advice.

abailey21 12-22-2008 03:59 PM

Charge your LiPo at 1C so a 4900 @ 4.9 Amps

Originally Posted by xman (Post 5195824)
I have a Ripmax Pro Peak Prodigy II charger with no instructions as I bought it used. I am using a Trak Power 4900 lipo battery that I run in my TC5. I have not used the charger as yet due to the lack of a power supply. A friend charged the battery last week at the track with his MRC 977. My question is what rate should I charge the battery and how long will it take? Also do you ever need to discharge a lipo via a discharger? I have a balancer for the charger and Lipo cut off on the car. Can I run the charger from a car battery for power as I run my starter box that way at the track when running nitro touring?

xman 12-22-2008 04:37 PM

Thanks. Can I use a car battery to power the charger or will that be too much?

jbmx4life 12-22-2008 05:06 PM

From what I found HERE you should be able to use THIS as the manual/info for that charger.

xman 12-22-2008 07:04 PM

Thanks....That was very helpful!

RCSteve93 12-22-2008 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by xman (Post 5195824)

Charge a 4.9 amps. No need to discharge.

I have run chargers from solar, batteries, and power supplies. Maybe it is just me, but I seem to get the best quality charge from a power supply. When I tried solar and a car battery, my chargers seem to act up. But, if it works, It works.:nod:

Akhor 12-22-2008 08:58 PM

I take my motor cycle battery (during the winter) to the track and just hook up to it.

So, yes you can just use your car battery.

MTX 05-01-2009 11:13 AM

Protrak Lipo charger

Hi All,

I have Pro-trak 30A Lipo charger. If I want to charge Lipo cells 7,4V 5000mAh 30C 2cells for my 1/10 EP On road car.
I read the instruction in www.pro-trak.co.uk, but some information still not so clear.

My questions:

1.what it the value of Char C/Off should I put in?
(1 cell 4.2v, 2 cell 8.4v)

2.What is the charge current should i put in? 5amps?
3 what is the current for lipo cutoff amp?

Thank you for your kind info and supports.

Regards,

Albert