R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
Tech Addict
 
Zdiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Bullring
Posts: 734
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default 1/12 scale- T-bar car vs. link car

What do you guys feel like the pros and cons of each are? Speaking about carpet and ashpalt as well. Let's hear it!
Zdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Moderator
 
Clegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Outside doing things in places... Denver, CO
Posts: 4,609
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

General rule is that link cars are better on rough tracks as the impacts dont flow through the chassis like they do with a Tbar car. Also Tbars break, and when they do your race is over. Link cars are very sturdy in most cases.

Tbar cars though are known to carry more speed through corners and be more predictible than link cars.

Both cars need to be tweeked, Tbar cars more than link cars go out of tweak faster.

You can get the best of both worlds with a BMI DB12RR - all the perks of both. I am a long time T-bar fanboi, and just went to the BMI and it drives better than any Tbar car I have owned. amd the BMI doesnt tweak by design.
__________________
Joe Kelly - JK720.net
5280 Raceway |5280raceway.com | 5280 Raceway Facebook
Clegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
Tech Regular
 
#88driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas
Posts: 482
Default

Anyone else have opinions?
__________________
Colton Jaynes
*RC America*Hudy*Xray*Jaco*KO Propo*SMC*EA Motorsports*
rchobbiesstore.com
#88driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:17 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic
 
trailranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 946
Default

If you are considering Lipo for future use, I would go with the linked car.
If you race on asphalt, i heard maybe the t-plate would be better.

SMC makes a 3.7V lipo to replace then NiMH battery with no mods to the chassis, just a RX adjustment by using a booster modual or battery pack. So that may be a consideration for 2010 if the rules go to lipo.
__________________
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:19 AM   #5
Tech Regular
 
Impulse_racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Glen Allen, VA
Posts: 250
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by #88driver View Post
Anyone else have opinions?
The BMI DB12RR is a hybrid combining the strengths of both the link and T-bar. The rear suspension is so elegantly simple. And if it ain't broke it won't tweak. The design makes it almost impossible to tweak. The car is easy to drive, stable, and consistant especially in the effort to maintain a driving line at different speeds.

www.BMIracing.com
__________________
Xray T3 EU
KO Propo Helios
Tekin RS Pro/LRP X-12/Venom LiPo
Hudy
Litemodz CVS
Impulse_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:16 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 900
Default

Another vote for the BMI here - all the advantage of T-bar with none of the disadvantages of link cars. LiPo-ready (if you want that) and recently updated (DB12RR) so it's even better. HTH
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:48 AM   #7
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg View Post
General rule is that link cars are better on rough tracks as the impacts dont flow through the chassis like they do with a Tbar car. Also Tbars break, and when they do your race is over. Link cars are very sturdy in most cases.

Tbar cars though are known to carry more speed through corners and be more predictible than link cars.

Both cars need to be tweeked, Tbar cars more than link cars go out of tweak faster.

You can get the best of both worlds with a BMI DB12RR - all the perks of both. I am a long time T-bar fanboi, and just went to the BMI and it drives better than any Tbar car I have owned. amd the BMI doesnt tweak by design.
Given that T-Bar cars are more popular on asphalt and link cars more popular on carpet I think you have this backwards since asphalt courses tend to be bumpier.

+ another vote for BMI...best of both worlds
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:38 AM   #8
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Bern, N.C.
Posts: 1,273
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

it really comes down to personal preference. I've got several of each type and can achieve nearly identical results with either. If you look at big race results, it's hard to establish a trend.......which further demonstrates that either type of car is plenty capable on most any surface. Plenty of major races are won by cars of both designs. In the last few years, more and more club racers do seem to be running link cars since they avoid the tbar breakage issues and they can take a bigger hit and still continue. But the tbar cars are a fair amount simpler and therefore easier to setup without getting one's self 'out of bounds'. My advice to you would be to select any current car that interests you and mostly one that's well supported in your area (by your local hobby shop and by experienced drivers who can answer your questions and assist you with setup).
vafactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:28 AM   #9
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mclean, VA
Posts: 3,940
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

Like VAFACTOR has explained it's all preference. Both chassis types are proven on both surfaces. T-bar cars have a long proven track record. However, link cars have had lots of success in the last 5 years and recently at the Worlds and at Cleveland. Most of all it depends on which chassis works for your driving style. I've run both in the past and the link cars feel loose (to me) when cornering compared to a t-bar car. So I prefer a t-bar chassis over a link car chassis.
However, with the recent introduction of the 3.7v LiPO a link car may be the way to go.

Last edited by Apex; 12-24-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
Tech Regular
 
#88driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas
Posts: 482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse_racer View Post
The BMI DB12RR is a hybrid combining the strengths of both the link and T-bar. The rear suspension is so elegantly simple. And if it ain't broke it won't tweak. The design makes it almost impossible to tweak. The car is easy to drive, stable, and consistant especially in the effort to maintain a driving line at different speeds.

www.BMIracing.com
yeah i have the 12R but i really wanted to try the Xll but one the other hand i really hate NiMH so i was going to go lipo so i dont know what to do. Just waiting on some company to create a hard-case saddle pack lipo the same size as a 4-cell battery
__________________
Colton Jaynes
*RC America*Hudy*Xray*Jaco*KO Propo*SMC*EA Motorsports*
rchobbiesstore.com
#88driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #11
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

If lipo happens I am sure there will be saddle lipos for t-bar cars.

The next generation of sedans will probably be saddle lipo. You are already seeing the saddle lipo packs coming out. Its too hard to balance a sedan chassis without added weight and without compromising the suspension or weight distribution with current stick lipos.
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #12
Moderator
 
Clegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Outside doing things in places... Denver, CO
Posts: 4,609
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

You could always make a 3.7V lipo saddle pack. just source 2x 1 cell 2000mAh 25C small cells and wire them in parallel. Then you have a 3.7v 4000mAh saddle pack. 2000mAh cells arent that big.
__________________
Joe Kelly - JK720.net
5280 Raceway |5280raceway.com | 5280 Raceway Facebook
Clegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #13
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I am pretty sure the SMC 4000mah 3.7v Lipo is made from two 2000mah cells in parallel to get 4000mah so a saddle would perform the same.
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #14
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Posts: 3,405
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Like VAFACTOR has explained it's all preference. Both chassis types are proven on both surfaces. T-bar cars have a long proven track record. However, link cars have had lots of success in the last 5 years and recently at the Worlds and at Cleveland. Most of all it depends on which chassis works for your driving style. I've run both in the past and the link cars feel loose (to me) when cornering compared to a t-bar car. So I prefer a t-bar chassis over a link car chassis.
However, with the recent introduction of the 3.7v LiPO a link car may be the way to go.
+1. T plate cars just feel more planted in the rear to me than link cars.but really it IS a matter of how you like your cars to respond.
__________________
*Vandal 4wd Late model*XXX-T sprinter*Micro scale specialties 1/24 'rock monster' crawler*MSS Micro-Rail*MSS Micro-Funny*MSS Micro-Outlaw*
2wdMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:38 PM   #15
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mclean, VA
Posts: 3,940
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
I am pretty sure the SMC 4000mah 3.7v Lipo is made from two 2000mah cells in parallel to get 4000mah so a saddle would perform the same.
Does anyone make these now?
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/12 forum ovalnator Electric On-Road 46191 Today 07:43 AM
Xpress mini pro vs pro 20%nitro Electric On-Road 14 02-02-2009 08:48 AM
1/12th Scale Setup?? Triton3d Electric On-Road 20 10-23-2008 02:40 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:07 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net