R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

I have to aggree with several of the other posters that I've had better luck getting a T-bar car up to speed easier than I can a link style. Thats not a knock on the link cars but rather that I started with t-bar cars and thay just feel easier to drive for me, the exception to that is my BMI. The BMI really does combine the two types well and it makes for a very easy to drive car.

If you decide to go with a t-bar I'd suggest trying to find a Hyperdrive pro3, not a design revolution but its very brushless freindly and its very easy to drive on carpet and asphalt.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #17
Tech Rookie

Not only is a link / t-bar thing, but also a spring vs. fiberglass thing. I would stay away from cars that twist material that was designed to be flat. The spring cars use a mechanical part designed to absorb energy. It's a better design.
roadbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #18

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbeast View Post
Not only is a link / t-bar thing, but also a spring vs. fiberglass thing. I would stay away from cars that twist material that was designed to be flat. The spring cars use a mechanical part designed to absorb energy. It's a better design.
But using things for functions that they werent intitially intended for is the basis behind all advancement.

If everyone stayed in the lines and inside the box, I am pretty sure R/C would stop advancing. Just because some springs were made to spring, doesnt make them natively better in this application. Springs have most if not all the issues that Fiberglass does. They compress, fatigue, wear, become unballanced etc... So just because they have the ability to store and release energy, does not make them that special for this. Many things can do that just as effective.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #19
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

CEFX, xray even CRC just redid the tforce as there is a market for tplates and even the 12R5 has a tplate conversion kit. although even mike blackstock said that the spring r5 is a close feel to a tplate and mikey likes it. the spring car has oversteer without trying. you come out of a corner and if you don't catch it you keep turning it into the wall. the tplate is stable because it pushes. you can make it oversteer but it's a more fine line between oversteer and hiking into a spin. but it's easier to drive with a slight push. When the rear end's loose, the car's fast. Loose is fast, and on the edge you're out of control.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I've tried most of the cars out there and always seem to come back to a t-bar. The big difference to me was always a loose rear end on the link cars after about 6 minutes. Not sure if the newer tire compounds would correct that or not, but a t-bar car just drives the same for all 8 minutes. It either pushes or not, but it's always the same. T-bars are easier to drive, at least for me, and if properly set up, are just as fast.

By design, a t-bar will create more rear bite than a link car. Yes, you can adjust that on a link car with different shock springs, but there's always pressure beeing applied to the rear tires with a t-bar where the links in affect let the rear pod pivot without applying any downward force like the fiberglass t-bar does.

Heaven knows I've tried to go link as I ran for CRC for a couple of years and Speedmerchant for a season. Frank and Bruce worked their asses off trying to get the car right for me, but I just wasn't ever as fast or consistent.

Granted, there are LOTS of fast guys running link cars and they seem to end up in the winner circles on a regular basis, but I can still name a few top modified drivers that favor a t-bar car (cough, cough, Josh Cyrul)

Oh, and I would love to try the BMI car as it looks really intersting and could be the best of both worlds.
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:07 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post
When the rear end's loose, the car's fast. Loose is fast, and on the edge you're out of control.
I heard that line before on a movie, let's see: "Days Of Thunder".
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

Quote:
Well, stay away from full size cars, trucks, and suvs becuase they have stabilizers and sway-bars that twist to help with the suspension as well.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #23
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
A coil spring is just round wire wound into a coil and bent as it is compressed.It starts its life as regular wire. There are many styles of spring. They all have there advantages.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:33 AM   #24
Tech Master

Hey Mr. LaFara! How's it going?? I hear you may be back racing again??

T-bars vs. link is more of a preference thing than anything. They both have their perks and different feels. Usually, it depends on driving style/preference who can go fast with with which style of car. There are a lot of misconceptions though about which prevails in which situations as properly set-up link and t-bar cars can out perform each other on any track and surface.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #25
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosG. View Post
Well, stay away from full size cars, trucks, and suvs becuase they have stabilizers and sway-bars that twist to help with the suspension as well.
Yeah, good idea, stay away from those full cars with the sway bars and stabilizers made out of glass. Nothing worse than seeing your sway bar on your full size car turning a different color because of stress fractures.

It's common to see t-bars and link bars that start out a green fiberglass turn white because the fibers are breaking. The shorter the part, the more it seems to degrade because of stress.
roadbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:36 PM   #26

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

err wrong thread... thought I was replying to the 1/12th weight thread.

sorry back to the pointless debate about twisting Tbars.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul View Post
Hey Mr. LaFara! How's it going?? I hear you may be back racing again??

T-bars vs. link is more of a preference thing than anything. They both have their perks and different feels. Usually, it depends on driving style/preference who can go fast with with which style of car. There are a lot of misconceptions though about which prevails in which situations as properly set-up link and t-bar cars can out perform each other on any track and surface.
Hey Josh, sent you a PM. Yes, I am racing again and having a blast!
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dasmopar

Quote:
Yeah, good idea, stay away from those full cars with the sway bars and stabilizers made out of glass. Nothing worse than seeing your sway bar on your full size car turning a different color because of stress fractures.

It's common to see t-bars and link bars that start out a green fiberglass turn white because the fibers are breaking. The shorter the part, the more it seems to degrade because of stress.
Corvettes used a rear arched fiber glass spring for many many years for the rear suspension.
Dasmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:10 AM   #29
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have an 06 corvette and they still do use the leaf spring in the rear.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:04 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
I have an 06 corvette and they still do use the leaf spring in the rear.
hahaha Jason drives a t bar car!

better stay off the boards