Wiki Posts
Search

WORLD GT?? Who, What, Why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Crashby
The new cells from SMC & ProMatch are outstanding cells and I have not lost a single one of these cells. Their run times are great and the last packs I got from ProMatch where all 1.24's +!!! And you cannot beat the price. Check them out.

http://www.promatchracing.com/products.php?cat=6
I use ProMatch cells too, but IMO the numbers appear to be good since they charge at 8.0A and Discharge at 35A. These charge/discharge conditions will make the numbers look better. Regardless of that, the new EnerG 4600 NiMh cells that ProMatch and SMC are distributing are great.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

May sound like a dumb question but can these cars be ran on asphalt/parking lot tracks? Reason I ask is I been looking into getting one but the tracks I race at are parking-lots
Old 12-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes that's all we run on here in Florida- outdoors and parking lots.Delta orginally had an independent frontend both for their 1/12th car and the 1/10 pan car.Still have the 1/12th in a bag in the hobby room. They added to much weight to both cars .
Old 12-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Originally Posted by BullFrog
Yes that's all we run on here in Florida- outdoors and parking lots.Delta orginally had an independent frontend both for their 1/12th car and the 1/10 pan car.Still have the 1/12th in a bag in the hobby room. They added to much weight to both cars .
Wow Thats good to know, I'm going to be buying one here shortly, had my eye on the CRC Gen-X 10.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
I'm all for either spec tire or tire tech for a max min diameter rule. I think 21.5 lipo would be plenty fast for this class.

21.5 are you seriuos??? Why don't we just go out an race radio shack cars and go faster.......I think 17.5 lipo minimum.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gitsum
21.5 are you seriuos??? Why don't we just go out an race radio shack cars and go faster.......I think 17.5 lipo minimum.
Racing is about competition, speed is relative. Whether the car goes 25mph or 35mph, is of little concern. The cars we drive, with the exception of the top 40 drivers in the USA are all over powered. The slower the car, the easier it is to drive. I didn't say it was easy, I said it was "easier". The slower the car, the more extreme accuracy and skill are rewarded. making winning that much harder. Ironic isn't it.

Do you feel if you had the chance to race any top 10 driver from say, Vegas, Cleveland, the Birds, that you could beat them with a 17.5 if they had a 21.5 and your cells? What about if they had a 17.5 and you could have ANY motor you chose. Do you feel that having the fastest available motor would allow you to beat them if they were running a 17.5 on say the average carpet road course track 40x80?

Why is it that 70% of drivers that run something like 17.5 and open mod at the same road course event, have trouble turning faster laps when they have unlimited power? And most go slower in mod? What is the kind of information trying to tell us?

RC racing isn't about the motor, or the speed. It's about the challenge. Classes and rules just make the challenge organized. And relative to RC racing more speed is usually the LAST thing most of us need. IF you're honest with yourself.

I don't want a faster race, I want a BETTER race.

Here's to wishing you all better racing in 2009.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:31 AM
Tech Elite

Right on, Bob
Old 12-23-2008, 02:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

talk shit all u want about the 21.5 but its proven to have no limatation on gear ratio ive ran mine as low as 1.35 in my 415ms and it tops out just under 35mph usvta has been using the 21.5 with a lipo and max gear ratio of 4.20 for just over a year with your other op.of 17.5 and a 4cell with no gear ratio 9 times out of 10 the 21.5 will win but the over all racing is tight the 17.5 is faster down the strech but the 21.5 is faster in the turns its about as fun a racing as you can get and your 13.5 with a lipo ive been eating them racing 13.5rubber with a 17.5 lipo and a 3.95 gear rato in my 415 msx bigger isnt always better
Old 12-23-2008, 02:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
Do you feel if you had the chance to race any top 10 driver from say, Vegas, Cleveland, the Birds, that you could beat them with a 17.5 if they had a 21.5 and your cells? What about if they had a 17.5 and you could have ANY motor you chose. Do you feel that having the fastest available motor would allow you to beat them if they were running a 17.5 on say the average carpet road course track 40x80?

Why is it that 70% of drivers that run something like 17.5 and open mod at the same road course event, have trouble turning faster laps when they have unlimited power? And most go slower in mod? What is the kind of information trying to tell us?

RC racing isn't about the motor, or the speed. It's about the challenge. Classes and rules just make the challenge organized. And relative to RC racing more speed is usually the LAST thing most of us need. IF you're honest with yourself.

At my local track we happen to have just that opportunity with a past 1/12 IIC Champ. Without any pre-race practice one afternoon, "Driver-A" simply came in and "borrowed" a car for the Main in 1/12. No changes were made to the car, no special batteries, just a Rev.5 with 4-cell pack and a 17.5 motor. During the single time "Driver-A" raced, he consistently ran .30 to .40 second quicker laps than the cars owner could from lap #1 to lap #33, and was consistent from lap to lap in doing so. When we race against this car and cars owner normally, most club racers are another .40 to .50 seconds slower than him, if not slower.

What does this tell me, my driving sucks! I know that no amount of special parts, motors, or batteries will make me drive faster than a really good driver, regardless of how we change the motor, battery, weight, body, or class types. I'm not discouraged by this fact, but excited in knowing that the only thing really slowing me down is me.

The rules just need to be settled in a manner that promotes a more level playing field, at least equipent wise. Slower or faster is not the answer, better driving is the answer, just as Bob said.

Last edited by kn7671; 12-23-2008 at 02:55 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kn7671
At my local track we happen to have just that opportunity with a past 1/12 IIC Champ. Without any pre-race practice one afternoon, "Driver-A" simply came in and "borrowed" a car for the Main in 1/12. No changes were made to the car, no special batteries, just a Rev.5 with 4-cell pack and a 17.5 motor. During the single time "Driver-A" raced, he consistently ran .30 to .40 second quicker laps than the cars owner could from lap #1 to lap #33, and was consistent from lap to lap in doing so. When we race against this car and cars owner normally, most club racers are another .40 to .50 seconds slower than him, if not slower.
That was a pretty race. That dude is soooo smooth it looked like the car was pulling itself into the ground in the corners. It was awesome to watch. Like KN says I have watched the same where a good driver can pull .4 to even a full second a lap faster than a cars owner without any equipment or set up changes. I have seen many times where a good driver can wax everyone with a slower car.

Practice your driving not your wrenching. Get a good set up under the car then leave it alone and focus on improving your driving. Get someone to watch your lines and tell you where you are blowing it. The equipment does not make the driver.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

gentelmen,
world gt is a fabulous class. i would invite anyone to jump in and run whatever your local track decides on for power, just remember that if you are going to run any national level races, the rules are for 4 cell and 13.5.

i have run both 4 cell 13.5 and 17.5 lipo and can tell you from experience that the 17.5 lipo combo is .5 a lap faster than nimh.

one thing that you have to remember is that 10th scale pan cars have been around longer than most of us have been racing. i love lipo technology and will never bash it. i had my druthers about going back to nimh to run this class, but i have been very suprised at the quality of the new nimh cells (after a 2 year hiatus for lipo). this class has revived national intrest in 10th pan, and i have to say that it revived mine too. the powers that be decided to make the class 4 cell because most of the chassis will only support that platform. if you want to run lipo, the crc gen x 10 is a great choice. or else, you may need to look for lipo sadle packs.

the spec tire is lilac, and you have 3 manufactures to choose from. crc, bsr, and jaco.

no matter what combo you or your track choose to run, i promise you will enjoy this class. good luck
Old 12-23-2008, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gain Time
That was a pretty race. That dude is soooo smooth it looked like the car was pulling itself into the ground in the corners. It was awesome to watch. Like KN says I have watched the same where a good driver can pull .4 to even a full second a lap faster than a cars owner without any equipment or set up changes. I have seen many times where a good driver can wax everyone with a slower car.

Practice your driving not your wrenching. Get a good set up under the car then leave it alone and focus on improving your driving. Get someone to watch your lines and tell you where you are blowing it. The equipment does not make the driver.
Nice fairy tale, but this can't be true!!! lol

Actually he set the car up
Old 12-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Because I can already beat 13.5s with my 17.5 TC on my first time out with it. I'm sure with a nice high grip tire on a small track I could whip a few 13.5s with a foam tired pan car.

Like Bob said, why go faster if faster is slower.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bacher26
talk shit all u want about the 21.5 but its proven to have no limatation on gear ratio ive ran mine as low as 1.35 in my 415ms and it tops out just under 35mph usvta has been using the 21.5 with a lipo and max gear ratio of 4.20 for just over a year with your other op.of 17.5 and a 4cell with no gear ratio 9 times out of 10 the 21.5 will win but the over all racing is tight the 17.5 is faster down the strech but the 21.5 is faster in the turns its about as fun a racing as you can get and your 13.5 with a lipo ive been eating them racing 13.5rubber with a 17.5 lipo and a 3.95 gear rato in my 415 msx bigger isnt always better

Noone talking shit here so you may want to restrain yourself before you get your feelings hurt....all I was saying is " I" believe 21.5 is TOO slow. Locally the guys are running 13.5 4cell and some run 17.5 lipo. Both are comparable with the lipo being a touch faster. Now I dont agree with it being a 4cell class because that just opens the door for whomever has the best packs, deepest pocket, or sweetest hookup. I think maybe limiting it to say a 3200mah lipo would be a better choice. Again just throwing that out there.......regardless I will race the class. You just wont see me at any major events as long as it continues to be 4cell.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
I don't want a faster race, I want a BETTER race.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]

Here's to wishing you all better racing in 2009.
Agree 1000% !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.