R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-16-2003, 12:24 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Default The future of stock class?

Just some thoughts about stock class: As I see it, the big idea about stock class, is it should be cheaper than mod and more equal, that is, it's more the driver than the equipment.

But since faster and faster motors keep on coming out, will the stock class kill itself and end up more like mod?
Old 10-16-2003, 12:32 PM   #2
che
Tech Regular

I actually find stock just as expensive (if not more) than modified.

With stock racing, voltage helps a lot, so you need high voltage cells in a very competitive field. Guys are always buying newer/better packs.
We are also seeing guys skim the comms and change brushes every 3 runs (every week) at our track. At the end of last year everyone was running the new monster stock, but the magnets seem to fall off quickly, so now they are buying new motors, one guy even purchased a can magnet zapper!

With mod, you can run a little lower voltage cells (with more runtime), or run a lower wind motor or play with timing, etc. The mod guys are also running longer without rebuilding motors and the motors are lasting much longer.

... just my 2 cents
che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:38 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to dpaton
Default Blatently cut-and-pasted from the Epic thread

The last time I was in RC before this fall was 93-94, when stock was actually that. What I see now looks exactly like the modified racing I remember. Rebuildable motors, comm resurfacing, brushes every weekend, teardowns after every race.

Maybe the 19t spec class will become the new "stock". Maybe handout motors will save us, if Epic/Trinity/Reedy/Yokomo/Orion/whoever cam make them cheap enough and still competative.

Maybe....

-dave
dpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:56 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Stock is Cheaper... Think Tire's and how much fast the wear out in both on and off road
#60 of the Original 100
If your not part of the solution
Your part of the problem !
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:59 PM   #5
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Re: The future of stock class?

Quote:
Originally posted by Cole Trickle
...will the stock class kill itself and end up more like mod?
oh, I'm sorry, I thought that had already happened!

Many people around here have given up on the fantasy world of stock racing. It simply doesn't work like it was intended to.

-Its not cheaper than mod...
-Its not closer than mod...
-One stock motor(even of the same type and brand) sure as hell isn't the same as another...
-And to top it all off, its simply too danged slow for larger tracks...

So, what exactly does it offer over other classes???

Oh yeah, that fantasy that its some how 'more about the drivers than it is about the equipment'. I would put that idea right up there with the idea that 'college football isn't about the money'.....

...fun to believe, but no real basis in reality!

Most guys around here have abandoned stock in favor of 19turn or mod. They're just more fun, with half the work that it takes to stay fast in stock.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:01 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonC
Stock is Cheaper... Think Tire's and how much fast the wear out in both on and off road
The only way stock is cheaper is when you are racing at the sportsman and rookie level or just messing around. But when it comes to hardcore or Club racing stock is more expensive because now.....Tires are more important.....Good Voltage in your cells is very important.....A good motor is important and sometimes it takes a few to find a good one. I think the main thing with stock racing is people are under the assumption that they can buy their way to the top or the front of the pack....and this is what makes stock racing more expensive. In Mod you just go buy more motor to go faster, but in stock you have more things to deal with to get more speed.

And I dont think stock will ever drive itself outa the racing world b/c there would be no place for all the guys to race that say MOD is too expensive. Lets face it most of the guys that are racing in stock are in there b/c they think that they can win. If they think they have a chance at racing mod they would be in there.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 04:39 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Darkseid-Couldnt have said it any better myself. But how come there is no mod indoors?
CraigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 04:54 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

i think stock class should be split into stock, and pro stock(not spec, pro stock) Stock for beginners, and pro stock for the guys that make stock motors as fast as they can, if you get my drift. This would be at club level, not at any big races, they got divisions for that.
pro3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 05:15 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Competetive stock racing surely is more expensive then Mod. Darkseid and Kevin pretty much summed it up though.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 05:16 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

I tend to agree. stock is getting too expensive. I am just working on getting into the racing aspect but with expenses as much as they are for motors, brushes, springs, tires, its just too much. I mean I am only planning on going to one "BIG" race a year just for that reason. I mean even with "handout" tires and "handout" motors, fees are just too much for independent guys like me to take
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 05:29 PM   #11
Tech Master

OK folks here's some input from a old timer. Before you could buy rebuildable stock motors the stock class was a total crap shoot. The chances that you could buy a decent stock motor were none, reason being all motor importers were setting up the motors from the case testing them and keeping the best few percent for team drivers, granted this may still occur but the playing field has been leveled by being able to maintain your motors instead of throwing them away each week and buying a new motor. Don't laugh I have seen this happen. Todays stock motors are amazing both in their speed and durability.
wagonman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 05:31 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Intermision Send a message via Yahoo to Intermision

Where I race they only race stock class so I don't have a choice.
Intermision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 05:39 PM   #13
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The stock motors are roughly, for arguments sake 50% of the price of the top mods. When i went to the last big race, we were skimming them every 2-3 runs with new brushes. Playing around with gear ratios and tyre types and shells. Once you have been to a few meetings its costing as much as mod would, but you need to keep buying more bits to keep the speed.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 05:52 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by pro3racer
i think stock class should be split into stock, and pro stock(not spec, pro stock) Stock for beginners, and pro stock for the guys that make stock motors as fast as they can, if you get my drift. This would be at club level, not at any big races, they got divisions for that.
Actually, in my neck of the woods, that's EXACTLY what we do, we run 3 stock classes, Sportsman, regular Stock & Expert Stock, so anyone that doesn't feel he has the equipment or ability to keep up with Expert Stock can run with guys he can compete with. And lately, we've also added a 19 turn class, which I'll admit I really like(more of the speed of mod, without the extreme tire wear that we see in regular mod). now, about the advantages of stock, I will say this(which I already alluded to)... on my local track, the surface is pretty abrasive, & when we run serious mods, we can go through a set of tires in a couple of weekends(at least that's what happens when I run it), but with a stock, a set of tires can last closer to a couple of MONTHS before they wear out, & even if they lose some grip from when they were new, they can still provide enough traction to work fine in stock. To give you an idea of what I mean, after the last novak US TC Champs(in Janurary), I had 3 sets of those handout TakeOff CS-27's, & I kept using them when I got home. Those tires actually lasted me until the end of MAY(when I simply wanted to find a tick more grip for one of our trophy races, so I bought some fresh CS-22's), & in truth, I could've kept running the 27's I had. If I had run them in mod, they would've been chewed up by mid-Feburary, & I would've spent a LOT more money on tires after that. But I realize that it can go differently at different tracks, so my experience may or may not be repeated by others.....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 07:26 PM   #15
Tech Master

To address the mod motor thing, we usually turn the com about every 1-3 runs and replace brushes the same, about the battery thing, we run 4 cell oval so battery voltage is still paramount. Stock motors are cheaper and last longer and all you have to worry about is voltage, not voltage and run time. And the batteries last alot longer also. By the way I also really like 19 turn classes for all of these reasons.
wagonman72 is offline   Reply With Quote