R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-16-2003, 07:44 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

And you guy's forgot one more thing..I have seen quite a few racers (who are NOT novices) that can not control a stock motor car very good let alone a mod motor car.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 08:15 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Stock is more of a 'honing' class. It lets you learn how to tune your motors, care for them. If you dont care for mod arm's your gonna wear them out alot more quickly then stockers. so it lets you gradualy get the gear (lathes etc) to THEN move into the modified class.

And it was said before, people think they can buy their way to the top. But a good driver will standout and not need all the good gear.
yobbism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 08:27 PM   #18
Tech Initiate

I run stock on the weekends when not enough guys show up for mod, but we keep the coms perfectly cut and the serations on the brushes fresh , wich means skimming comm every run or every other and brush replacement of at least 2 sets a day, just to keep the motors tip top and fast, also when we get new armetures we cut them down to almost nothing right of the bat then just skim them for the next few weeks and move on to a new arm again. motors don't seem to last to long like this but the competition is fierce over here, half the Amain at the stock nationals race here, Dunnigan won and bob brown won masters pretty funny I never looked at it that way before, guess we are somewhat kinda lucky. ohh yeah we charge the batts at 7 and 7 run external fans and wet clothes, and zap the magnets from time to time, all that work just to run stock class, man sometimes it seems more work than mod.
Kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 08:42 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I only own one stock motor and it hasn't been in my car since May. I said this same thing on the 19 turn thread. Why is there still a stock class when there are 19 turn motors out there? You still have the "spec" aspect of stock, a little lower maintenance than open mod, bearings, and MUCH more power. How can stock even compete with that? We spen so much time trying to get as much out of our cars and spend so much money on high tech products like ceramic bearings, high voltage batts, light weight CF and Ti parts, etc. and we still have bushings in our motors? Come on.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 09:14 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Stock class should never die !!! I think some of the ideas brought forward are pretty good.....multi level stock racing for one. But the true situation here is not the equipment........it's the attitude. Way to many clubs and tracks place the emphasis on hardcore racing and nothing more. Those of you who are familiar with the Tamiya Challenge Series know that some of the classes are restricted to using mabuchi or johnson motors. Wow...how dull can that be !!?? The answer is "not very". The difference is that the emphasis is placed on the quality of racing, the sharing of information and the joy of knowing that you will not have a distinct disadvantage regarding your equipment.
The point here is that we're getting way to serious about all this. I've seen a lot of people make the comment " remember, we're talking about toy cars here". I think we should take that to heart. The guys who race hardcore should always be the smallest percentage of the group. The rest of us should consider whats being said and realise that we're the ones creating the problem. Stop taking it all so seriously, get back to having fun, stop trying to convince yourself that cutting your comm every race is an absolute, ask yourself "am I doing this because I want to or because I feel I have to??"etc., etc.
As a sidenote, I think Brushless motors will eventually be the norm so all this worry about comms, brushes and such may be mute.
I see to many guy's in the classified's selling stuff because they're " getting out of RC". Maybe it's time we consider that all this pressure to buy the best and have the fastest is causing a lot of burn out. For those of us who aren't Barry Baker or David Jun.....maybe it's time we started getting back to thinking......."These are toy cars we're talking about and toy's are meant to be fun"
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 09:19 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Super Steve

I say 540 Silver Can!!!

I rather have 19t spec races then 27t

If they want to make stock even more popular then now, they should have ball bearings allowed.

also, i don't like stand up brushes.... more power but faster wear. (both stockers and 19ts)
Super Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 09:27 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

EvoRacer is spot on.

Its ok to want to win etc, but when you dump all that money into your car you are almost preventing others from winning (in a roundaboutway) who cant afford the all out performance things. Isnt it more fun to outdrive the competition?

Whats this standup brush talk? My P2K2 is lay down. and i was under the impression they had more tourqe.

Last edited by yobbism; 10-16-2003 at 09:37 PM.
yobbism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 09:27 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Super Steve
also, i don't like stand up brushes.... more power but faster wear. (both stockers and 19ts) [/B]
you mean laydown right?
laydown has more torque and rpm (i think), but it is less effiecient, so they use laydown in stock and 19t and stand-up in most mod.

stock 27t has my vote. i love playing around with motors and learning how to make them faster, more powerful.
lukewilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 09:40 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

competitive racing is the most fun, you get that super rush on the stand and when you come off, being competitive is human nature, makes me want to go to the track every day to get a little better an little better, so maybe one day I can win an A-main at the track. competition drives me to work harder, gives me a good feeling of accompleshment when I leave and go home and gives me something to think about all week till next race on what I could have done more to be just a tenth faster a lap. My opinions, hope no one took offence, sorry spelling may be incorrect in a few area's, lol.
Kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 09:49 PM   #25
Tech Initiate

Just my opinion, I've been to large club venues where they can seperate stock class. And I do believe it worked well (the middle class "Sportsman" was the most competitve). I am one of those guys who doesn't forget that they are only toy cars And I'll be the first to tell you it's all about the fun But winning or just having a good clean run up front is the most fun. I've surely tried to help fellow racers stock or otherwise,with setup or motor tuning or whatever. And that is fun also to see other newer racers come up in the ranks. Back to the subject I've been racing stock for at least 15yrs. I step up to Mod and it seems I wear parts out faster? Go figure! So I'm all for the 19t class as a happy medium and FYI team guys are team guys for a reason just watch their flawless operation of they're cars. And in closing the majority of team guys in my area prefer Mod? Stock will be here forever, for guys like me who like to think it's easier on equiptment. Good Luck & Good Racing
XRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 09:51 PM   #26
Tech Initiate

Kash I'm with you 100%
XRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 09:52 PM   #27
Tech Elite

You bet Kash !!! We all love that feeling too !! It doesn't take racing Mod motors to get it. To this day I still leave the drivers stand or the track thinking " how could I have taken that turn better or what adjustment will make the car handle better.

Last edited by Evoracer; 10-16-2003 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:37 PM   #28
Tech Elite

1 year ago at my local track there were around 50 electric guys each meet. Around 10 in 540 johnson can motor class and 40 in stock.

Fast forward 1 year and now it is still 50 guys, still around 10 in 540 but now more like 10-15 in mod rest in stock. Just recently people found out running mod is CHEAPER and in fact is LESS MAINTENANCE than stock, which goes against the "conventional wisdom". Plus the superior speed is addictive rather than just crawling around the track.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 10:52 PM   #29
Tech Elite

AMG, your figures don't surprise me. If you think about it, most people will start investing in high end equipment and in a lot of spares and upgrades while they're still running stock because they feel unable to compete. Thats partially why stock may be,or seems to be, more expensive.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:11 PM   #30
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I just dont think their is any way that mod is cheaper than stock to race,In off road I was running a xxx4 with a D5 10 wind,I had to cut the com(notice HAD) and replace the brushes every 3 runs or it just would not perform,in stock buggy I might go 3 to 4 races without cutting the com. and it's not that I have to but I should.If you you want to compeat at the top it cost money,it does not matter what type of racing it is.And I dont think that cutting the com on a stock motor 2 to 3 times a race day is really helping out as much as you think it is.I have tested this theory with a robotronics dyno and the most I ever gained was 200 RPM's and on some motors I lost 200 RPM's.I think your time would be better spent working on your set up.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote