Wiki Posts
Search

what tires you guys use on carpet

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default what tires you guys use on carpet

I used sorex 36R tires on a local indoor carpet track and applied Trinity conditioner before I put my car on the track. But my car looked no grip at all, it still spun everywhere. When I touched other local racer's tires, they felt very sticky but my tires didn't although I used conditioner. They seem to use different conditioner (metal bottle with pink words on it). Is is because of the conditioner? Or I should use 32R or even 28R tires for carpet? Or something wrong?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

I use jaco blues with paragon on them. I works very well...
Old 12-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 05forfun
I used sorex 36R tires on a local indoor carpet track and applied Trinity conditioner before I put my car on the track. But my car looked no grip at all, it still spun everywhere. When I touched other local racer's tires, they felt very sticky but my tires didn't although I used conditioner. They seem to use different conditioner (metal bottle with pink words on it). Is is because of the conditioner? Or I should use 32R or even 28R tires for carpet? Or something wrong?

36 are too hard of a compound (IMO) Stagger your tire's with 32's up front and 28's in the rear. Use your own choice of inserts. (Hara med) The premounted Sorex tire's are junk.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

dude the premounted sorex tires are awsome! I use sorex 36r's on a super high grip carpet track when the traction comes up and during first qual i use jaco green, sorex 28r or muchmore 24/28r's.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Thanks for your response guys!! I want to use rubber tires because they can last longer and save my money. So it looks if I need to use rubber I need to use at least 28R right? 24R will be better with conditioner? What kind of rubber is popular on carpet track?And what kind of conditioner you use to make the tires feel sticky or having more grip?
Old 12-19-2008, 02:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 05forfun
Thanks for your response guys!! I want to use rubber tires because they can last longer and save my money. So it looks if I need to use rubber I need to use at least 28R right? 24R will be better with conditioner? What kind of rubber is popular on carpet track?And what kind of conditioner you use to make the tires feel sticky or having more grip?
A small side note here, make sure your tyre additive is suitable for carpet, as there is asphalt additive available too, which wont work very well at all on carpet.

I have applied carpet additive (LRP,but i'm in the UK so not sure you can get it?) and left it on for months in a sealed bag, and forgot about it... It made the tyres super sticky! Ok, so not an instant cure, but even a few weeks left in additive should soften the tyre a bit and help tyre grip levels.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:30 AM
Tech Regular

Sorex 24 is the popular carpet tyre round my parts. They do need additive to work well. (And even warmers) I often use LRP ashphalt additive indoors and it works fine.

A long lasting inexpensive tyre that will work well without additive or warmers is the Schumacher Carpet Dragon.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:37 AM
Tech Champion

The thing is that with using some asphalt additives used indoors is that they could leave black marks on the carpet, which is frowned upon by some race organisers.

If they are cool with it and are off limits then no big deal, but I know that here in the UK, some places can be a bit hotheated with it as the carpet costs a lot of £££.... Adding to which, mixing additives on the track can make the grip levels go inconsistant.

As for tyres, yes +1 on the sorex 24.

I have had 2hours use out of a set and they still hook up well with additive (LRP,Blue screw cap bottle with applicator).
Old 12-19-2008, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Jaco Blues with Jack the Gripper
Old 12-19-2008, 06:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default tires

you didn't mention cleaning the tires. so. make sure they are claened right after the run and god and dry before applying ttraction compound.
28s should be good. Premounts are far better than slef install. just because there is less bead failure. Pracitce does make perfect though.
24s would be even better but on most carpet the tire will not last long and may even cause traction rolling.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:45 AM
Tech Champion

I like to clean my tyres, but try to wipe a little additive on them, then off again rather, than use something with harsher chemicals. (Some guys use brake cleaner, which may strip the tyre of its compound and produce inconsistancy depending on which type/brand you use).

So, typically I will wipe a little additive on the tyre, spread it over the tyre with a towel and any dirt should come off on the towel. A bit of additive is cheaper than a new set of tyres...

Also, try to store the tyres/wheels off the car inbetween races, rather than the weight of the car and anything on top of it flat spotting the inserts.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
I like to clean my tyres, but try to wipe a little additive on them, then off again rather, than use something with harsher chemicals. (Some guys use brake cleaner, which may strip the tyre of its compound and produce inconsistancy depending on which type/brand you use).

So, typically I will wipe a little additive on the tyre, spread it over the tyre with a towel and any dirt should come off on the towel. A bit of additive is cheaper than a new set of tyres...

Also, try to store the tyres/wheels off the car inbetween races, rather than the weight of the car and anything on top of it flat spotting the inserts.
Clean your tires with WD-40 then apply your favorite traction compound.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
Clean your tires with WD-40 then apply your favorite traction compound.
Good plan! Since wd40 contains silicon, as does power steering fluid, which is the base for some (home made) tyre additves....

Last edited by tc3team; 12-19-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

+1 Jaco Blue
Old 12-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

yes cleaning the tire with motor spray is very important, you can also use iso alcohol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.