R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam? View Post
I think Associated would benefit from improved diffs. From what I've seen, they require a lot more attention than other brands. Tamiya, HB and Corally seem to have figured it out, putting the balls at the far edges of the pulleys, using more of them, and using much bigger diff rings.
I have to disagree.......the tc5 diffs are the longest lasting smoothest diffs I have ever worked on.
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh H View Post
I have to disagree.......the tc5 diffs are the longest lasting smoothest diffs I have ever worked on.
You should get out more! :-)

My experience has only been the frustration of those around me. I try to comfort them by handing over one of my 2 month old diffs that's still smoother than their rebuild, but that doesn't seem to help.

Last edited by Adam?; 12-19-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Adam? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:10 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I like my TC5 diff's. I haven't rebuilt them since I built the car in September. When I had a HB car I didn't have to rebuild them either. It is all in how you build them. I follow this procedure and have not yet had a problem.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:07 AM   #19
Tech Addict

I have raced both the Cyclone and TC5 in mod (foam asphalt) and really there is nothing in it, as long as you have a decent setup on the car you would be hard pressed to tell which car was under the body.

As for durability, they both seem the same, I basically have broken nothing on both.

Again working on either is pretty much the same, they both have their easy and difficult bits but nothing too nasty.

Stick to the TC5 if you have it sorted, you will only go through the same problem with the Cyclone unless it miraculously has a perfect setup for your track out of the box.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:02 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam? View Post
I think Associated would benefit from improved diffs. From what I've seen, they require a lot more attention than other brands. Tamiya, HB and Corally seem to have figured it out, putting the balls at the far edges of the pulleys, using more of them, and using much bigger diff rings.
Associated probably has some of the best diffs since the time of the RC10 tub car. The first plastic diffs I had in my car never got rebuilt. I finally took them out of the car to try the aluminum halves. Both types were butter smooth

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Alright, I take it back, I'm only going based on what I've seen from close friends running the car, not my own experience. Perhaps they're doing something wrong.

Josh, sorry I gave you a complex! Dustin said he had to feel your diff to reassure you.
Adam? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:00 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness

i run joshs rubber tire setup at my track and it is dialed. i keep up with corally and the cyclone with the same laptimes. matter of fact alot of those guys are now switching to the tc5 because of the expense of the corally and cyclone. believe me i do not miss my 415msx. go with the tc5 you wont be sorry
Old 12-21-2008, 07:18 AM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
There is no reasone anyone would have to remove the motor with motor plate to change the pinion
You dont have to but sometimes its easier to. Trying to work a big pinion around the belt that is blocking it can be downright frustrating. If I were running foam tires and needed to changes pinions a lot I would likely take the motor plate off to change my pinions. Though since running a softer belt up front it has gotten a bit easier.

I've owned both cars (currently running the TC5). I agree the Cyclone is generally easier to work on. Its a little less durable though and parts are a litle more difficult to get so I went with the TC5. The TC5 drivetrain seems to be a little less efficient then many other cars. Your motors will generally run hotter then they will with a lot of other cars. I've done a lot of things to free mine up but I still can't run some of the rollouts others do safely.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:31 AM   #24
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

it is easy to take out motor mount to change pinion..or not..about the diffs..i recieved my tc5 about 2 weeks before 07n reddy race..i finally rebuilt he rear diff after 79 runs..it still wasnt bad..just startin to get gritty...i think the associated diffs are the best around..be it onroad or offroad..i do have both a tc5 and a hot bodies tc..they both have their ups and downs...both handle great. but as far as parts go..tc5 is the winner..easy to get parts and way cheaper thean a hpi hot bodies parts..seems to be more durable that the tc also..
Old 12-21-2008, 07:12 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh H View Post
No offense but this seems a little out of line with my experience. I have run two (TC5s) cars for the last year both inside on carpet and outside and I have spent more time rebuilding diffs then any other car I have ever owned. I guess I am doing something wrong cause it sounds like your diffs might be preforming differently. I also run diffs front and rear most of the time so I have to rebuild twice as often as someone that is running a spool or one-way in the front.

For whatever it is worth my personal improvements would be:
Larger diff rings
Larger diff balls
Caged thrust bearing
dust covers
The inside of the diff needs to be thicker to remove side to side play (between the out drives and the pulley)

Maybe a good write up on your process might help a lot of TC5 drivers build the ever lasting diff. I know I could have used it !