R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
Tech Adept
 
Andysan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 103
Default New Brushless Sounds Really Bad - Manufacturer Says It's Fine - What To Do?

Hi all,

I brought the Losi Xcelorin Combo a few weeks ago - i chose the 13.5T sensored version.

I'm pleased with the kit so far, but when i run the unit the motor sounds really really harsh and nasty - significantly louder than my brushed motor even.

I returned the motor to the retailer, who sent it to the manufacturer for testing. The report says that the engineer agreed that it was very noisy and replacing the bearings did not fix this. The rotor is not rubbing inside and floats freely between the bearings. As the motor isn't losing any performance, a replacement will not be offered.

So i've got a combo kit with a motor that sounds dreadful. Question is, what do i do now? Put up with the noisy motor, run it a few more times and see if it improves, demand a refund? Can anyone offer any advice as to why the unit might be so loud please and if it is a concern?

I would like to point out that it doesnt just sound slightly off, it's not far off being as loud as loud as a nitro when going round the track.

Thanks.
Andysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
Tech Regular
 
Dark_gouki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Durham N.C
Posts: 348
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Dark_gouki Send a message via Yahoo to Dark_gouki Send a message via Skype™ to Dark_gouki
Default

See if they would replace it.
__________________
My Nitro Assassins

S2D= Novak 8.5T
M18= Tekin 9200kv
All My Whips Are SBD (Silent But Deadly)
Dark_gouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 108
Default

Wow. I could understand if all their motors made that sound and they didn't replace it, but even the unusual sound that it was making didn't warrant a replacement by the mfr. That's just bad customer service. I'd sell that Losi Excelorin Combo and buy a Novak or LRP Combo.
MACHFIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
Tech Adept
 
Andysan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 103
Default

Hi Dark_gouki,

Thanks for the reply. Is that the best thing to do - i mean the motor is definetly foo-barred then? I imagine returning it will be quite difficult if the manufacturer didn't find fault. Is anyone aware if the motors are actually supposed to sound like this? The retailer says i should just run it in some more. Does anyone know if there is any truth behind this please?
Andysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHFIVE View Post
I'd sell that Losi Excelorin Combo .
Remind me not to buy anything from MACHFIVE . If he thinks something is wrong with it and sells it then wouldn't he be doing the same thing to someone else that Losi did to him??
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
Tech Adept
 
Andysan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHFIVE View Post
Wow. I could understand if all their motors made that sound and they didn't replace it, but even the unusual sound that it was making didn't warrant a replacement by the mfr. That's just bad customer service. I'd sell that Losi Excelorin Combo and buy a Novak or LRP Combo.
So the unusual sound implies that there is definitely something wrong with it then? Cheers.
Andysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysan View Post
Hi Dark_gouki,

Thanks for the reply. Is that the best thing to do - i mean the motor is definetly foo-barred then? I imagine returning it will be quite difficult if the manufacturer didn't find fault. Is anyone aware if the motors are actually supposed to sound like this? The retailer says i should just run it in some more. Does anyone know if there is any truth behind this please?
My brother in law has a motor like this (different brand). We cant figure out what is causing the noise but it runs fine. Are there scratches on the rotor? Do the bearings seem OK?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
Tech Regular
 
Dark_gouki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Durham N.C
Posts: 348
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Dark_gouki Send a message via Yahoo to Dark_gouki Send a message via Skype™ to Dark_gouki
Default

the person to buy it would be someone who knows how to get rid of that sound. im sure someone on this forum has a clue on how to fix this.??!!
__________________
My Nitro Assassins

S2D= Novak 8.5T
M18= Tekin 9200kv
All My Whips Are SBD (Silent But Deadly)
Dark_gouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Remind me not to buy anything from MACHFIVE . If he thinks something is wrong with it and sells it then wouldn't he be doing the same thing to someone else that Losi did to him??
Ok, maybe I should have said "ask for a refund".

or8ital - I got a great BL combo available if you want it. Sounds great!!
MACHFIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:25 PM   #10
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHFIVE View Post
Ok, maybe I should have said "ask for a refund".
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
Tech Regular
 
RC_Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 478
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to RC_Dan
Default

What type of vehicle is this in? Pitch of pinion/spur? Possibly the increased power damaged some drivetrain components on your ride?

I would try it in a different vehicle as well to determine if it is in fact the motor itself.

The thing I don't get is if Losi themselves said the motor was loud, it HAS to be hurting performance. Sound=vibration=less efficient etc.
__________________
AE TC6 B4 & 18T, Kyosho Lazer ZX-5
CRC Gen XL & Battle Axe, Hot Bodies Ve8
460whp CRX on E85
RC_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #12
Tech Adept
 
Andysan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 103
Default

Wow - thanks for all the responses guys & girls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
My brother in law has a motor like this (different brand). We cant figure out what is causing the noise but it runs fine. Are there scratches on the rotor? Do the bearings seem OK?
How long has it been running for without problems? All appears to be fine, i took the original bearings out and they felt fine - the bearings have been since been replaced also. I haven't taken it apart myself yet seeing as i preffered just to send it back, but the engineers report says that he couldnt find anything wrong with it (bar the noise).
Andysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #13
Tech Adept
 
Andysan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Dan View Post
What type of vehicle is this in? Pitch of pinion/spur? Possibly the increased power damaged some drivetrain components on your ride?

I would try it in a different vehicle as well to determine if it is in fact the motor itself.

The thing I don't get is if Losi themselves said the motor was loud, it HAS to be hurting performance. Sound=vibration=less efficient etc.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I forgot to mention that i tried the motor (gently, didnt rev the bajeebus outta it) with no load before i even bolted it into the car and it was making this noise - hence i don't see what i could have done to damage it - it even comes presoldered.

I appreciate that your comments are completely valid though, as i hadnt mentioned that it was noisy before i even put it near the car.

Thanks.
Andysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:36 PM   #14
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysan View Post
Wow - thanks for all the responses guys & girls!



How long has it been running for without problems? All appears to be fine, i took the original bearings out and they felt fine - the bearings have been since been replaced also. I haven't taken it apart myself yet seeing as i preffered just to send it back, but the engineers report says that he couldnt find anything wrong with it (bar the noise).
He has been running it a year without problems. I would also try a different sensor cable. Some ESCs will drive the motor without a sensor cable but it will sound really bad and the performance wont be great. My brother in laws motor is loud but not Nitro engine loud. Without a sensor cable it will be really loud.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #15
Tech Adept
 
Andysan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 103
Default

Hmmm...might try removing the sensor cable then and if it sounds no worse then might try another one.
Andysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:33 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net