R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Andysan - sent you a PM

thanks for the reply and you have another

Last edited by rocketron; 12-18-2008 at 02:10 PM.
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #17
mok
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mok Send a message via Skype™ to mok

i had a similar random sound in one of my brushless motors...
it turned out to be one of the bearings was slipping inside the motor can and making a noise
all i did was threadlock the bearing back into its surrounds and the noise disappeared
Old 12-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mok View Post
i had a similar random sound in one of my brushless motors...
it turned out to be one of the bearings was slipping inside the motor can and making a noise
all i did was threadlock the bearing back into its surrounds and the noise disappeared
Hmmm, maybe that is the problem, although i would be super unlucky as the bearings have been replaced. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply mok, much appreciated,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketron View Post
Andysan - sent you a PM

thanks for the reply and you have another
Just like to say a big thanks to Ron, the support he has offered me thus far has been very much appreciated, for which i would like to extend my gratitude in particular.

EDIT - I've uploaded an audio clip of the motor - it's not studio quality, but is a decent representation of the sound that the motor is making:

http://www.humyo.com/F/51149-288267023

The motor is under no load.

Cheers!

Last edited by Andysan; 12-18-2008 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Update
Andysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:30 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysan View Post
Hmmm, maybe that is the problem, although i would be super unlucky as the bearings have been replaced. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply mok, much appreciated,

Just like to say a big thanks to Ron, the support he has offered me thus far has been very much appreciated, for which i would like to extend my gratitude in particular.

EDIT - I've uploaded an audio clip of the motor - it's not studio quality, but is a decent representation of the sound that the motor is making:

http://www.humyo.com/F/51149-288267023

The motor is under no load.

Cheers!
I've got a nosran 5.5 that sounds just like that, after 1.5yrs of running it, it still works fine and still makes those horrible noise..
Old 12-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

It doesn't sound that bad to me.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Does the motor have more vibration then it should? It almost sounds like the armature is out of balance.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Same here, I'm thinking the reason your motor sounds odd is the same reason why digital servos are loud, its just electrical noise, especially under no load with a decent amperage.

My xceleron 10.5 sounds very simular.

NNFaN Paints - Add some pride to YOUR ride.
a_main_attendee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:34 PM   #23
Tech Initiate

Try putting a small plastic shim in between the rotor and the bottom bearing and see if it makes a difference.
Matt Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:15 AM   #24
Tech Champion

make sure the rotor has sufficient float to it (moving the rotor spindle whilst in the can). If it has too much movement it may be causing the noise you describe, should the rotor moves sideways inside the can.

Kind of what's already mentioned about correct shimming.

I remember some brushless motors have a fan inside that made them sound different, but I doubt it's that.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Smile

Hi all,

Bit of an update, all has been resolved (some time ago now) thanks to the efforts of Losi & Horizon.

I received my replacement motor just before Christmas (thank you Glenn), but unfortunately have not been able to run it in anger until last night, due to my local club having it's longest seasonal hiatus ever (largely due to the fact that I have been itching to run my Xcelorin - i think this is called Murphy's Law).

The motor runs really great, noticeably quieter and cooler than the original one. It's very fast, probably faster than all of the other 13.5's at the club. I've also been having fun tweaking the settings with the supplied software. Now if only I could control all the power that keeps wreaking havok with my drivetrain and my back end! Importantly, the issues experienced with the original motor are not present in the replacement.

Anyway, the main point of my ramblings is simply to thank Dave Spashett, Ron Schuur and Glenn Doman in particular at Horizon for their efforts in resolving my problems, both quickly and in a way that was non-patronizing, understanding and helpful, which in my own experience contrasts from most retailers, manufacturers and RC model shops these days that generally don't want to know. It has restored my faith in excellent customer service, and i shall certainly be buying a lot more Horizon/Losi products and recommending them to my fellow racers at Dudley Radio Car Club.

I'd also like to say a belated thanks to everyone at RCTech who offered support, ideas and advice in this very thread - thanks guys, it means a lot. I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone has regarding the Xcelorin.

Happy racing!
Old 01-17-2009, 05:06 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hi all,

Bit of an update, all has been resolved (some time ago now) thanks to the efforts of Losi & Horizon.

I received my replacement motor just before Christmas (thank you Glenn), but unfortunately have not been able to run it in anger until last night, due to my local club having it's longest seasonal hiatus ever (largely due to the fact that I have been itching to run my Xcelorin - i think this is called Murphy's Law).

The motor runs really great, noticeably quieter and cooler than the original one. It's very fast, probably faster than all of the other 13.5's at the club. I've also been having fun tweaking the settings with the supplied software. Now if only I could control all the power that keeps wreaking havok with my drivetrain and my back end! Importantly, the issues experienced with the original motor are not present in the replacement.

Anyway, the main point of my ramblings is simply to thank Dave Spashett, Ron Schuur and Glenn Doman in particular at Horizon for their efforts in resolving my problems, both quickly and in a way that was non-patronizing, understanding and helpful, which in my own experience contrasts from most retailers, manufacturers and RC model shops these days that generally don't want to know. It has restored my faith in excellent customer service, and i shall certainly be buying a lot more Horizon/Losi products and recommending them to my fellow racers at Dudley Radio Car Club.

I'd also like to say a belated thanks to everyone at RCTech who offered support, ideas and advice in this very thread - thanks guys, it means a lot. I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone has regarding the Xcelorin.

Happy racing!
If that isn't a sincere comment, i don't know what is. It is allways good to hear stuff like this.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #27

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

good to hear, very rare when the companies get the props, not the grief.

still curious as to what caused the issue. internal cooling fan outta balance??? oh well.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #28
Tech Adept

Thanks for the comments a_main_attendee, ultegrasti.

What would a success story be without celluloid? Enjoy:

Before i get flamed, I haven't gotten around to tidying up my wiring yet, although i did buy a shorter sensor cable - the supplied one is very long, but this is understandable because some cars will obviosuly require it, so it's a good thing really.

Kudos if anyone can guess the chassis.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Kudos if anyone can guess the chassis.

Its quite easy considering its shaft drive, purple, and says "pro 4" on the top deck.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #30
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_main_attendee View Post
Its quite easy considering its shaft drive, purple, and says "pro 4" on the top deck.
Ah, yeah - didn't notice that on the thumbnail - where'd my dunce hat go?

That's just to fool you really, it's actually a mega-pimped, mega-lowered Lunchbox!