Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Gearing question for Birdman Monster Stock >

Gearing question for Birdman Monster Stock

Gearing question for Birdman Monster Stock

Old 10-17-2003, 06:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Gearing question for Birdman Monster Stock

Hey guys - I'm curious to know how others are gearing their Birdman Monster Stock motors. I run on a medium-high traction, medium length flowing track with a few switchback turns. Locally, the guys are gearing them from 8.0 to mid 9.0's. I run a P2K2 at 7.3 with good success, but I've not found a gear ratio with the Monster (and it's tuned derivitives) that equal the combination of torque and RPM's that I can get with the P2K2's.

Any suggestions?

And yes, I'm running the Birdman brushes and springs.

(Futureal - I hope I'm not stepping on any toes. This is purely a tech question, and not advertising in nature. Love the site - keep it up!)

Rob
Old 10-17-2003, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Default A Monster is a Monster

losirob;

Really doesn't matter who does the tuning, a Monster Stock is still a Monster Stock.

My suggestion based on your P2K2 gearing, would be start around 8.5 FDR for your track and adjust based on how the Car feels and how hot the Motor is getting.

The Torque is there, just high up in rpm range so it's not as noticable.

Last edited by popsracer; 10-18-2003 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Agreed, I run at the same track that losirob does, & depending on how good the Monster I'm using is, I'll gear it anywhere from 7.8-8.5 to 1(some of mine actually look more like a GM3 for top end, while others can challenge my Chameleon 2 for rpm)...Rob, I have tested your motor before, haven't I? Maybe we should have another look at it, & try some different brushes if you're still not getting what you want from it(& if it's just not working, maybe you could try a GM3, Steve & I both have still had some luck with them at RCR, I was alternating between my GM3 & Monster all last Saturday night)......
Old 10-18-2003, 06:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Bob - thanks for the tips.

You haven't tested this Birdman or my Paradigm motor for me - You ran my Lightspeed 19T. I'd be interested to see the numbers on your dyno - I've got the dyno sheet from Paradigm, but they issue a disclaimer that states their numbers may look different.
I'll get with you at the track today, and see what we can come up with.

Popsracer - thanks for the input!

Rob