R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #76
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporadicidiocy View Post
Well, apparently they're -64 on stock right now.

Luckily I ordered early and mine arrived last week.

It fits the TT01's battery slot, though the original plastic battery holder won't fit well because the hard case is just a tad longer than a tamiya pack.

So I fashioned a temp holder out of velcro straps and 2 paper clips.. it works well lol.

As for the battery itself, it runs pretty damned well, obviously less punchy than my 3S 20C 4500mah but still very respectable speed and runtimes, can charge to 4200mah and reads around 28C on mine. All in all, $30 well spent.

Only one thing bothers me is that the deans clone didn't connect well on first try, had to jiggle it around to get a good connection, have since replaced with real deans and no problems now.

Hope they restock soon, I want to order more
I am only using the wires for charging. My car was setup with bullet connectors all my Nimh are setup this way. Is it the norm to not use bullet connectors for safety with the lipos?
Tire Chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:40 PM   #77
Tech Apprentice

I dunno... what safety?

I'm already in the process of replacing all my batts with deans, since I bought 10 from hobbycity and I've just about had it with tamiya plugs heating up and melting

Are the gold bullet connectors better for safety on lipo? If so.. why? I've been out of the RC game for a good 14 years and am still re-learning a lot of stuff.

Only recently got drawn back in by Mini-zs, then planes, then needed something easier to deal with so I went with 1/10 EP on-road, I even rebuilt my old bonestock TA-02s just to get re-aquainted.
F103 Chevronmodels 6-wheel conversion
sporadicidiocy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #78
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Valentin.H

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporadicidiocy View Post
I dunno... what safety?

I'm already in the process of replacing all my batts with deans, since I bought 10 from hobbycity and I've just about had it with tamiya plugs heating up and melting

Are the gold bullet connectors better for safety on lipo? If so.. why? I've been out of the RC game for a good 14 years and am still re-learning a lot of stuff.

Only recently got drawn back in by Mini-zs, then planes, then needed something easier to deal with so I went with 1/10 EP on-road, I even rebuilt my old bonestock TA-02s just to get re-aquainted.
they are safe to use as long as you make sure you plug them into the correct polarity. same as if you had a harness with bullet plugs to a deans.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:08 AM   #79
Tech Apprentice

Oh, I'll stick with deans then I guess, I'd think it's far easier to mix up polarities with bullet than with deans.. don't want my lipos to blow up now do I?
F103 Chevronmodels 6-wheel conversion
sporadicidiocy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #80
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Seeing as these packs are so badly backordered, are there any other alternitives in close to the same price range? Hobby City was saying Early January for a restock date until a few days ago. Now they say Mid January. I wonder when the 15th rolls around if that is changed to Late January? Frustrating... I finally decide to switch to LiPo's and find a great price, and they end up on eternal backorder.
Current Toys: 1990 RC10 Gold Pan buggy, 1991 RC10 Team Buggy, AE TC3, Diggity Designs XLR8, Tamiya TRF 415, Losi Mini Late Model, Losi Mini Slider, AE RC18MT, 2 Jammin X1X CR's, 2 Jammin X1 CRT Pro's, HPI Savage XL, Revo Platinum, Jammin X2 CR Electric Conversion, 4X2 Slash, 4X4 Slash, Losi Comp Crawler, Arrow Shark 47" Boat, Blade 400 Heli, Blade CX3
CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #81
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to RC_Dan

I have two of these packs and plan to do some testing with them soon. I borrowed a Turbo 35, so hopefully in the next day or two I can get some numbers for those that are interested.
RC_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #82
Tech Regular

(sorry for the english, It's not my native language)

For me
These packs are just a giant punch in the face for the brand that relie on hype, marketing and sponsoring to sell there stuff.

I'm sure all these marketing dude are waiting on the corner for a poor guy falling on a bad zippy pack burning his car then say " you see with our awesome 90 $ pack that would have never happen"

Personnally i've got 3 bad battery sold under brand HXT few years ago (Hobbycity started was know as unitedhobby/Hobbykong/Hextronic and sell on ebay too). They just swelled after 3 month of use, they were still running. But I didn't feel safe to used them anymore. So I dumped them (in a dedicated place for recyling battery)

I tried to buy some battery there in 2008. Sold under Zippy K 2S 4300 mah
What a surprise, overall fit and finish was far better and the battery just haul butt, my T4 is just too light compared to the power available. More than I can drive
This experience was so positive (50 $ the battery shipping include). I did decide to try a 1/8 electric. Zippy H does not feel as punchy as my zippy K, but for the price I just can't complain.
On the aging I can tell you that my zippy K are still running strong (1 year of almost every week end use).
My zippy H are too young to give a decent point of view on it. they did show a lot of cells that goes unbalanced after storage (0.1 to 0.25 volts)

Summary
You can find more powerfull battery. Yes
You can find more reliable battery. Yes
You can find better support / warranty. Definitly (higher price due to this imho)
You will fail to find better price/performance right now.

For this price you can hardly expect more.
Mister-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #83
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I received four of these packs about 2 weeks ago in the mail... i think they are great.... I race them weekly on my Slash and B4.. absolutely no problems asides from having to replace the crappy "deans wanna be " connector on the packs... The female that the packs came with would not fit correctly with the deans males on everything i have... a great buy....
BillySnarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #84
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Dark_gouki Send a message via Yahoo to Dark_gouki Send a message via Skype™ to Dark_gouki

JEEZ it's now -89 !DAMN! on back order so in the meantime i ordered this $26 shipped isn't bad Imho. I think im gonna order 2 of those 4000mah when they get in stock should i order them now while on back order or wait till they get in stock.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7731

S2D= Novak 8.5T
M18= Tekin 9200kv
All My Whips Are SBD (Silent But Deadly)
Dark_gouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:54 AM   #85
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am planning on getting 4 or so of these when they come back in stock as well as a charger. I have heard good things about this one. What do you guys think about it? http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...r_&_discharger
martianpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #86
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Great batteries

Last edited by Tire Chunker; 01-25-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Tire Chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #87
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_gouki View Post
JEEZ it's now -89 !DAMN!
Update, "stock" on the Zippy 4000 is -116 right now, argh.

I sure hope they plan on getting A BUNCH of them in stock soon, I'm ready to buy 2 of them. I hope the price doesn't shoot way up now that they see this demand.

I may have to fall back to the Yeah racing 4000 if they don't get stock pretty soon.
TA03R Cirtix 17.5 club spec
F109 Tekin 21.5
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:51 PM   #88
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Best BAnger for the bucker so why not pick one up and fuck her.
nitro_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:05 AM   #89
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post

If they cost $30 and other's cost $100 there is a good reason for it. Wait and see.
I have some bottled water you can buy for $9.00 a bottle. The reason it's so expensive is that I'm way overcharging you.
Major_Smackdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:32 AM   #90
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Guys,

I bought 2 of these packs a few weeks ago, and each pack has 'died' after only 3 or 4 runs. Initially the car had power intermittently during the run, and then nothing at the end. I thought at first my Tamiya ESC mightn't be capable of handling the power of a Lipo but heck, they're only a fraction of a volt higher than NiMH anyway. My Lipo charger can't recognise a battery at all which led me to believe the circuit wasn't complete ie a soldering connection had come loose.

I then did a quick google and saw on another RC forum that many people were having issues with the soldering between the 2 cells coming loose, and splitting the hard case, resoldering and sealing up again. I daresay this is my problem. By all accounts the cells themselves are quite good but the build quality average.

Has anyone else had this problem with their pack's totally quitting?

Steve
stephenianjames is offline   Reply With Quote