R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-14-2003, 09:40 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Unhappy LRP Pulsar Competition Charger Help

Man, I think I have the worst luck with chargers, just fried my LRP! I never used the Match function on this charger. But I thought I'd give it a try to see how my batteries stacked against each other and well... I smelt something.... Burning plastic!! Actually the charger still works. But the fans did not kick on during discharge. So now I have a nicely melted case.... Wonder how long it'll take to get a new charger from LRP? Or if they will even replace it? Or cost?

I bought the charger at the Snowbirds this year. So that makes the charger 8 months old. Does anyone have any experience with LRP and their repairs? Or have experienced any problems like this? I'll have to use my old trusty Duratrax Digital Intellipeak charger in the mean time. Thinking of just buying the Yokomo Charger now. Hmmmm But I really liked the LRP charger. Damn it Jim! I'm an RC racer.. not a pit man!

Well I guess I have to go figure out how to do this. Gotta go navigate the AE website. Joy! I guess I'll time this to see how long it take them........

Jimmy Mac

JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 10:06 PM   #2
Tech Adept

the resistor is right below the "Yokomo" sticker there, under the plastic. the damn thing does get very hot when it discharges.. i guess the matching function discharge > charge > discharge.. put out too much heat on the resistor..thus the melting.. the fan is rather small, but it does help... now i know what happens IF the fan fails.

LRP Lifetime Warranty is good for something afterall
versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 10:14 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to TC3Racer67

would it be ok to just have a fan blowing on the charger?
TC3Racer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 10:16 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by TC3Racer67
would it be ok to just have a fan blowing on the charger?
it would help, blow it at the vents. i seldom use the discharge function cause i have a discharge tray. used matching function a few times and it does get hot, but the fan kicks in so it doesnt mutate
Old 10-14-2003, 10:18 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to TC3Racer67

oh i thought it got that hot even with the fan! k thanks
TC3Racer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 10:36 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

I'm assuming that thing has a cool down period and a voltage cutoff? If so what were they set at and what was your discharge amperage?
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 10:42 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Fans didn't come on at all. I thought it was odd. But the instructions said they will only come on when it needed it. And there was no failure message or anything. Plus it only charged and discharged. The battery was already discharged from the start so it didn't need to discharge the first time. I also use a tray and sometimes some bulbs to discharge my batteries. But this time I thought what the hey... I'll try it out. I guess I messed up!

I charge at 6amps. GP3300's. Peak set to 50mv. Discharge to 5.4v. The charger only discharges at 10amps.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:57 PM   #8
Tech Elite

"Plus it only charged and discharged" what do you mean by that, that is what is called a cycle, what else did you want it to do? Does the thing not have a cool down period you can set in the system to let the cells cool beetween charging and discharging?
Old 10-14-2003, 10:58 PM   #9
Tech Adept

the fan kicks it whenever it discharges. at least for me.
so i guess yeah, your fan/fan wiring is busted. since its 8 months, if im not mistaken LRP has a 1 year limited warranty whereby you can get it fixed free. contact the place where you purchased it.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:13 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Well the 1 year deal on the instructions says it is only valid to Europe (3 countries in Europe.) So what happens Stateside is kinda unclear to me. I dunno, I'll find out more tomorrow.

As for the "cycle".. that's what it is. But they call it Matching Mode on the charger. First it'll make sure the pack is discharged down to your setup voltage. After that it will charge the pack. After that, it will Discharge it again and give you the average voltage, discharge time and mah. I was just gonna do this to see what my average voltage was for each pack. I know it's not a Turbo35. And I normally wouldn't have done this. But out of curiousity I thought I'd give it a try.

As for cool down period, the charger doesn't have this feature. It only cycles it once. It's not like my old Integy/Reedy charger where you tell it how many times to cycle it and cool down time inbetween modes.

I dunno, all I know is if I get this charger fixed, I won't be using that feature again. Just the charge feature and motor run feature to power my lathe. I'll stick with my bulbs and discharge tray.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:19 PM   #11
Tech Adept

i sent a reedy charger to associated and the shipped it back to me the day after they recieved it....so i got my charger in 10 days time starting the day i sent it...it costs me $90 for a replacement...brand new...i dunno if they apply the same policy on the LRP chargers....but i'm sure they would....anyways...when i use the matching feature....i always put two small fans (just like what is inside) on the tope vent and lift the back end a little so the air would be freeier......the quasar pro had the same problem...the new charger i got has a retractabe leg at the back so it will sit higher than usual.....
Los1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 11:23 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Well KilRuf, all I can think of is something metallic(e-clip, setscrew) got in the charger through the grill and shorted something out on the board or the thing isn't really desinged to match cells up to 3300 since the charger came out before the new 3300 mah GP's, maybe a combo of both I don't know what to tell you, sorry to hear that happened.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:27 PM   #13
Tech Elite

LOL......
Old 10-14-2003, 11:30 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by KilRuf
I charge at 6amps. GP3300's. Peak set to 50mv. Discharge to 5.4v. The charger only discharges at 10amps.
You do know the heatsink in the charger will heat up more from the higher capacity cells don't you?
Old 10-14-2003, 11:36 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Yes I know, I know. But I expect a charger to work as it suppose to if it supports this feature. They even have the Powers3300 batteries listed on the charger sheets. And I believe the newer chargers have GP3300 on there. But the main thing here is, the fan did not kick on like it was suppose to. So the case melted.