R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-13-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Best choice ESC/Motor Combo for 13.5 touring???

Here are the three i was looking at... Please give my your input... Thnx

TEKTT2152 Tekin RS Sensored Brushless ESC/Motor Combo 13.5T

ASCLRP80582 LRP A.I. Brushless Reverse Digital ESC & Eraser Brushless Motor Combo (13.5T)

NOV3013 Novak GTB SS13.5 Pro Brushless System (ESC + Motor)
iLL-Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The Tekin RS setup is the best in that list.
ChristopherKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

I would recommend you to take a look at speedpassion. They are better value for the money
vhmlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:20 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

either speed passion or team wave
Hoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:36 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooPH

LRP TC Spec + Orion Vortex 2008 Stock
Old 12-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhmlaw View Post
I would recommend you to take a look at speedpassion. They are better value for the money
I second the Speed Passion suggestion. Thier speedo is the most advanced and easiest to use on the market right now and their 13.5 motor is one of the fastest.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Default Tech Question

Tech question for you Adrian.
Technically shouldn't all 13.5 Brushless motors be identical "speed" or torque at a given RPM. The designation '13.5' is nominal isn't it? There not in fact 13.5 turns of wire in it? Isn't the 13.5 the result of using some agreed upon formula for converting KV?

A related question I assumed the two rationales for adopting Brushless were
1. greatly reduced maintenance time and costs
2. Level playing field, everyone in any given class 13.5 17.5 getting the same exact power.

also since the cost of manufacturing different brushless "winds" 13.5, 17.5 is virtually identical couldn't ESC be produced that could be programmed to match each spec, in other words one motor one ESC, click a switch to change to a different spec?
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

True that 13.5 is a fixxed entity. But the fact is all depending on timing , rotors and yes .. the windings. But if you have looked up any ratings on motors some claim more rpm's but less torque or what I like to refer to is the watts output and rpm. The higher the watt, the more power you have . Litterally watts is power! Fact of the matter is every one is fast. All you need to do is find that sweet spot to run the motor in. Track.. grip. temp. all that makes so much difference with a brushless I feel there is a wide margin or ratios that you can use but there will always be that one perfect gear for every different motor. Once you have determined that , then you can concider which one is faster ...
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

this moment
Tekin RS Pro or Orion Vortex ESC
& Orion Vortex 2008 Motor
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:07 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjonah View Post
Tech question for you Adrian.
Technically shouldn't all 13.5 Brushless motors be identical "speed" or torque at a given RPM. The designation '13.5' is nominal isn't it? There not in fact 13.5 turns of wire in it? Isn't the 13.5 the result of using some agreed upon formula for converting KV?

A related question I assumed the two rationales for adopting Brushless were
1. greatly reduced maintenance time and costs
2. Level playing field, everyone in any given class 13.5 17.5 getting the same exact power.

also since the cost of manufacturing different brushless "winds" 13.5, 17.5 is virtually identical couldn't ESC be produced that could be programmed to match each spec, in other words one motor one ESC, click a switch to change to a different spec?
Well, BL motors are a lot closer speed wise than brushed motors were. Mainly because the rules for BL are A LOT tighter than for brushed motors. That said there is some leeway in the rules. There has to be so motor companies can innovate and make improvments over time. A very knowledgeable BL motor guru I know told me there is ~5% spread between the best and worst BL motors in any given wind. This is due to the steel used in the stator laminations, the quality of the rotor magnet, quality of the copper in the windings, how well wound the stator is...etc. There are a lot of small variables that can add up to make one motor better then another.

OK..the questions:

There are 13.5 turns or wire on each pole of the stator in our motors. There are front and rear terminated motors that dont have the extra .5 turn. This is why there are some mods that are 4.0 and 3.0 turns.

LRP's first Sphere has a motor limiting feature. It sort of worked but it was not very smooth. Speed control limiting of motor power is certainly possible. The problem is it is impossible to tech and even harder to prevent guys from cheating. So...we run diffrent motors.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:31 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Im still waiting for my Orion speedo.....
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:52 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'm still stressing the Tekin RS. It's the smallest and has the most flashy lights and sounds out of all the ESCs. You will not be disappointed.

Speed Passions low profile is my second choice. They take a liken and keep on ticken
ChristopherKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:00 AM   #13
Tech Elite

i switched form GTB to a Losi combo and love it. Excellent programmability
Old 12-15-2008, 07:02 AM   #14
Tech Apprentice

If low price is a factor you can get a Losi Xcelorin Sensored ESC/Motor combo from Losi Parts House using holiday discounts for $190.
Squating Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:24 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Default Speed

The only 2 I would consider is the speedpassion or the Tekin rs pro. Giving a slight edge to the Tekin .
latemodel13 is offline   Reply With Quote