R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-14-2004, 02:22 AM   #556
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by oXYnary
RANT ON: If xray release real shocks and sway bars, we wouldnt have to rely on chassis flex.. But noooo, they want to finish their 1/8th scale ::END RANT

Doesnt the powell chassis come with a upper deck? I forget. There is that guy from germany selling upper decks separately on ebay. I have been tempted more than once. In honesty though, Im really looking to see how the Penguin chassis turns out.

The specs for the r18 are way higher than the spy (look at max amp output). But yea everyone raves about the LRPs.
We are hoping to have our chassis out sometime next month, We cannot yet give an answer as to when during the month but right now everything looks set to happen. Early pictures of the car can be seen at this web page:

http://www.penguinrc.com/products/sneek_peek.html

These show the 300 Vertical motor mount, the initial chassis will come with the 180 side mount with optional 300 Side, 180 and 300 verticals and then sometime after a 400 side mount will be availible.

The design functionality has changed considerably due to testing but the basic design concept has not.

Brion Sohn
President
Penguin r/c
Penguin r/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 02:26 AM   #557
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary

Just as long as your dont forget about the 280s (since the mounting holes are not the same as the 300s).
oXYnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 02:47 AM   #558
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Just as long as your dont forget about the 280s (since the mounting holes are not the same as the 300s).
How different are the 280's as they tend to be much less common and we haven't really supported them directly with the P3500 Micro Chassis.

Brion Sohn
President
Penguin r/c
Old 06-14-2004, 03:38 AM   #559
Tech Champion

Depends on where you race them.. the Mini T has really brought them to the lime light. In some cases, they are as good or better than a speed 300. The best thing is the aftermarket motors are like the 1/10th counterparts in that you can get replaceble brushes and springs, and retrue the comm (can't on the 300). I think also the mamba will have this mounting (right now its at another but Shawn mentioned this was a oversight).

Im not sure how you are mounting the motors, but depending on the method, you could drill additional holes in the 300 mount. If nothing else, I guess I could find a aluminum aftermarket adapter to fit it in (problem is I have never heard of one). But you might turn away buyers with this oversight.

**The 180 top mount might still be doable with the 280 as it isnt that much more weight versus the 300**
Old 06-14-2004, 04:23 AM   #560
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Depends on where you race them.. the Mini T has really brought them to the lime light. In some cases, they are as good or better than a speed 300.
I guess the question is moreso what is different in the mounting.. There are only three things that can be different.

Mounting Screw Diameter, Distance Between the Mounting Holes, and the Cap area of the motor (Diameter of the can for the output bearing/Bushing)

The 300 size motorsare approx 3mm, 17mm, and 7mm respectively. I am not sure what a 180 is as far as these dimentions though I do know it uses smaller mounting screws.

Brion Sohn
Old 07-04-2004, 09:07 PM   #561
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Brion- I can't wait to get my hands on your chassis!! Just a thought, I don't know if it would set your production back, but how about extending one of the areas on the sides where the servo mounts bolt in and slotting the holes to allow for the use of mini servos on with the chassis, Micro servos are quite limited, but MINI's are much more readily available and cheaper with better specs!! Just a thought...... BTW: how much extra would it cost to have 1 built that way if I ordered it????

BTW: guys I broke down and bought an M18 this week and i love it!!! Way better than the micro I used to have.... I don't plan on going hog wild with this one just a penguin chassis, 300 motor plate, ball diffs front and rear, springs, and oil shocks if/when X-ray ever makes them....LOL

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 09:24 PM   #562
tornado

Hey Brion....hows da Penguin M18 chassis coming along......I'm waiting very patiently here in the FAR EAST and keeping up with the updates and all the waiting has made all my hair turn grey. Heard it is suppose to be July.....so.......
Old 07-05-2004, 02:35 PM   #563
Tech Initiate

Tornado:
Sometime this month we are expecting to release the M18 chassis the Tamiya TLT-1 chassis that we have been concetrating on finishing up is just about done which will allow us to fully concentrate on bringing the P7500 out. We have to do a few checks on the suspention stuff we have done and then the Main production and the directions for it.

IMPACTPLAYR:
Well the pictures on the internet do not show the latest verdion of the car, The latest version which will be released, has a symetrical chassis with 5 cell slots up each side and provisions for mounting the servo on either side. Due to the placement of the front battery cell a slot is not an option however we may be abe to look into doing an adaptor of some sort, To help us out if you can send the mounting width (hole to hole) of your mini servo we'll see what we can do (please email to [email protected]). I can't recall if the mini is smaller or lager than the micro.. if it is larger we may be able to slot as a last minute change.

As far as custom work it gets quite expensive we had one person do 2 custom P3500LM chassis plates and they cost aprox $70.00 each by the time all the work was done, so you have to really want it to want to pay for it.. The reason it costs so much is it takes reprogramming, and then shutting down the machinary for a custom run over production.

Brion Sohn
President
Penguin r/c
Old 07-05-2004, 05:55 PM   #564
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Brion- Thanks, Mini servos are slightly larger than micros, and are the absolute biggest servos you would want to use on a micro car, I wish I could measure mine, but I had to cut the mounting ears off and shoo-goo it to the chassis, like everyone else so far.

I was able to dig up this information:

The Hitec HS-81 which is what Xray seems to have sdesigned the car around has a 1.31" center to center mounting distance, where most of the mini servos I have come accross are 1.3" w/o the mounting ears, so I would believe that a 3-4mm slot on the outer edge of the chassis (making the bolt hole wider than 1.31" would accomidate almost any mini servo on the market.

This is just one detail that everyone else has looked over, and as you know the devil is in the details and the details are what can make or brake any project......

Thanks,

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 07:22 PM   #565
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDXray

hey brion, you might have had this question already but here it is. I see 8 slotted holes for batteries on the new m18 chassis, could i put 8 cells there? Also how does your new m18 chassis compare to the IPD chassis? I just got 2 IPD Chassis and there awesome. It seems that the new penguin chassis is expensive compared to the IPD ones, i got mine for $35. And how does the mid-motor compare to the regular setup?

-JD
JDXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:52 AM   #566
Tech Initiate

IMPACTPLAYR :

Thank you for the info, We will look into that though it could cause some minor issues with the esign as we have tried to actally narrow the car up a bit, It might now work well with adding that much space to the outside. The HItec 81 series is what is being used in most micros these days so most everything seems to be geared toward them.

JD XRAY:

In the final car there are actually going to be 10 cell slots total however with the servo in place only 8 will be accessable, Yes you can use all 8 slots for batteries if you choose to however you would have to use the Vertical motor mount and find a place for the electronics (the X-ray is difficult electonics wise with anything over 6-cells).

We havent had too much direct documented competition with the IPD chassis (we don't go around asking what other drivers have under their bodies that often when testing), however, the cars are meeting our expectations as far as performance and tuning. The major difference you will see between our car and the IPD's is that the P7500 allows any set-up you wish to have with minimal added expense. Meaning you can run Saddle, Stick, or a combination of battery styles, Horizontal or Vertical motor mountings with either a 180 or 300 base motor (the horizontal plate will be coming with the chassis kit), we will also have a 400 set-up for the crazy people.. you can run horizontal setup on ether side of the car as well as servo so you can bias the weight of the car as you see fit or have a staggerd setup such as Corrally has used on some of their 1/10th scale cars. The Chassis is a M1.5 Quasi grade chassis with a integral upper deck, we tried 2.0mm but the car was way too stiff for the suspension of the car, basically it amplified it's weaknesses. The basic kit will also come with our suspension revisions and information on how to use it. So it is a pretty complete overhaul of the car.

So far we haven't released final pricing but it will more than likely be more expensive than the IPD as it is a more comprehensive chassis with more parts.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:55 PM   #567
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I received a nice package from my friend in Japan. It included a pair of aluminum hubs and motor mount made by JWerks.

The quality and fitment is right on and awesome! They also look so good on my car! I love the light blue. Goes well with the blue chassis.

I noticed that the motor mount looked very similar to the Xray one, but after a close comparison, it seems that the JWerks one is a bit thicker and the mounting hole posisions are a bit different, plus, the motor sits a bit lower. Yup...lower center of gravity. The thicker motor mount means better heat disipation, and it won't bend under hard contact. All good!

Old 07-12-2004, 07:19 PM   #568
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDXray

thanks brion, lol nice too see you stonedgti (one18th)
JDXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:28 PM   #569
Tech Champion

Again, its still missing a 280 mount. Something the regular xray one and the IPD have.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:02 AM   #570
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have a 280 on this motor mount right now, and it fits! Also, I can adjust it so that I can fit it on the plastic chassis. Hehe...don't have to buy the carbon fiber one just to fit a bigger motor on.

It excepts regular motor, 280 and 300 motors.