Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-19-2003, 10:54 AM   #166
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by spenzalii
HAven't seen it. Got a link?
Just looked but they must have discontinued it- not on their site any more

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 04:55 PM   #167
Tech Master

Default Damn servo

LOL! got the car built and the quality looks good. Except for the motor mount which is flimpsy and after a few screw and unscrews, I'm sure it'll strip easily.

The only problem I'm facing right now it the servo horn. Funny how the instruction manual shows an actual size of the servo which I believe is the Hitec 81MG but they did no include any servo horns for the hitec. Just the KO and Futaba ones.

Also, what servo are you guys using? I'm using the Hitec 81MG and was planning to mod it with the HPI servo saver but accidentally snapped and broke off the one and only servo horn. I'm also having a hard time with the Hitec 81MG centering.

Can someone post a pick of your servo and mod? a closeup would be nice. Thanks.

Dan
Maj. Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 05:47 PM   #168
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

according to Tech support at Hitec the HS-81MG is not intended for, nor is it recommended for RC cars, even micros.

In the tech's words, the servo gear rests directly on the potentiometer, which is not strong enough to handle the vibration and imparct of RC car use.

They recommend the HS-85MG which is about the same size, slightly slower, but has a ball bearing and a heavy duty potentiometer.

I was going to order an HS-85MG for my Xray...but I may end up just going with a Futaba 3101...I really am leaning towards metal gears since there is no servo saver, but the only servo I've seen that is the right size and has metal gears is the Hitec...

With Christmas upon us, mail order will take forever, so I don't know just when I'll have my Xray out for its maiden voyage
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 06:31 PM   #169
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Damn servo

Quote:
Originally posted by Maj. Teeth
Funny how the instruction manual shows an actual size of the servo which I believe is the Hitec 81MG but they did no include any servo horns for the hitec. Just the KO and Futaba ones.
Dan try fighting the Futaba one on and see if it works. I don't plan on running a swervo saver hehe.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 08:05 PM   #170
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
LOL! got the car built and the quality looks good. Except for the motor mount which is flimpsy and after a few screw and unscrews, I'm sure it'll strip easily.

The only problem I'm facing right now it the servo horn. Funny how the instruction manual shows an actual size of the servo which I believe is the Hitec 81MG but they did no include any servo horns for the hitec. Just the KO and Futaba ones.

Also, what servo are you guys using? I'm using the Hitec 81MG and was planning to mod it with the HPI servo saver but accidentally snapped and broke off the one and only servo horn. I'm also having a hard time with the Hitec 81MG centering.

Dan
Dan, you need to hook us up with some kicking Fukuyama 2/3A cells.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 06:13 AM   #171
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Damn servo

Quote:
Originally posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
Dan, you need to hook us up with some kicking Fukuyama 2/3A cells.
Hey whats ups man! Its J Smith from yourmicro.com forums. Arn't you the guy the painted my dodge stratus body? Remember it had that hara pro 3 design? Where you been man? Still painting?
J Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 07:12 PM   #172
Tech Elite

How do you guys like the M18 so far? What would you guys improve upon the car as it is?
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 07:24 PM   #173
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Damn servo

Quote:
Originally posted by J Smith
Hey whats ups man! Its J Smith from yourmicro.com forums. Arn't you the guy the painted my dodge stratus body? Remember it had that hara pro 3 design? Where you been man? Still painting?
That's me. I've been painting off and on (more off). Sold off my Micro's to get back into 1/10th scale touring again.

I'm still painting my F360 body for the M18 and waiting on a servo and cells. Just haven't gotten to the shop to get them.

First thing I'm going to replace is that cheezy flexible chassis. That was the only let down on the car so far.

Blake

Old 12-21-2003, 07:52 PM   #174
Tech Regular

whats up guys I just ordered an xray m18 on the net. what electronics should I put in it? I want a digital servo, receiver (novak xxl? is this ok?), esc, motor and I want to assemble my own battery pack. Any suggestions on brand and something thats not too pricey. Also whats the most popular body would you suggest? many thnx
penggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 02:59 AM   #175
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by penggoy
whats up guys I just ordered an xray m18 on the net. what electronics should I put in it? I want a digital servo, receiver (novak xxl? is this ok?), esc, motor and I want to assemble my own battery pack. Any suggestions on brand and something thats not too pricey. Also whats the most popular body would you suggest? many thnx
I am running mine on:

5 cells
Elite motor
Hitec servo
Orion Micro ESC

The car is fast enough only but not much fun. You should run it with 6 cells, I saw one and it olvertook me like I was standing still. I think with 6 cells you can really feel that you can experience the handling of the car as you can take it to the edge.
tIANcI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 03:02 AM   #176
Tech Master

Default Help needed

The M18 is gonna be the next craze I am sure.

The only problem with the car is that the rear of the car wobbles when its slowing down to a very slow pace. I thought it was the way I contructed the car or the gluing of the tires. I saw another car with the same problem and the owner is a real stickler for detail. Anyone else noticed this?

Another problem is that the car does not track straight on a smooth surface, it tends to stray badly, as if it were glitching. That is eveident at times on the track ... I tried to rebuild the car but the problem persists. Any one with any comment? Thanks!!!
Old 12-22-2003, 03:04 AM   #177
Tech Master

Quote:

Dan
Sorry dude but I am running on the 81MG and the horn fits properly! Sheeeesh ... I better go check my car, maybe it does not fit and I pushed it in tight!!!

Sigh ... only now do I find out that the 81MG is not suitable. Oh well ...
Old 12-22-2003, 06:01 AM   #178
Tech Elite

Yeah, the HS81 is the turd of all Hitec servos. I've never had a good Hitec servo of any variety but the 81 is the worst. I've heard people trying the 85 with some luck but here's what I'm going to try.

JRPSDS368 - http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...Prod=JRPSDS368

I haven't ordered it yet but I'll get it to work somehow.

I'd like to try the Futaba 9650
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDTB4&P=0

I think I could mount it with the horizontal mounting ears. I'm going to get my local shop to order both and see which works better.

Old 12-22-2003, 06:16 AM   #179
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: Help needed

Quote:
Originally posted by tIANcI
The M18 is gonna be the next craze I am sure.

The only problem with the car is that the rear of the car wobbles when its slowing down to a very slow pace. I thought it was the way I contructed the car or the gluing of the tires. I saw another car with the same problem and the owner is a real stickler for detail. Anyone else noticed this?

Another problem is that the car does not track straight on a smooth surface, it tends to stray badly, as if it were glitching. That is eveident at times on the track ... I tried to rebuild the car but the problem persists. Any one with any comment? Thanks!!!
That's because there is too much toe-in in the rear. I think the stock setup is 4 degrees out of the box.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 08:14 AM   #180
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Help needed

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffreylin
That's because there is too much toe-in in the rear. I think the stock setup is 4 degrees out of the box.
We suspected that as the problem but was not sure, I mean why have 4 degrees for something this small? Oh well ... I hope they will get the options out soon!