R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
Tech Master

Default Future of TC

Topic has been done to death, but with the emergence of WGT, will TC be phased out? Do people hate working on their cars or figuring out what the settings to to their handling? The answers I get are "less things to figure out" or "cheaper to run". The best is "I hate 4wd"

What's your guys take? Discuss
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
Topic has been done to death, but with the emergence of WGT, will TC be phased out? Do people hate working on their cars or figuring out what the settings to to their handling? The answers I get are "less things to figure out" or "cheaper to run". The best is "I hate 4wd"

What's your guys take? Discuss
......................................__................................................
.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,..........................................
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll..................................
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll................................
..............lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,...........................
...............lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
................llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-..*`*;..)..........................
.................,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/...................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*....................
................|.../.../.../.*`..............................)....)¯`~,..................
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---........../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../....................
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|......................
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,...................
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..................
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
Tech Master

had a feeling of a troll setting ablaze. But everyone around me says to get rid of the current TC standards and move on to WGT. There are some new guys interested in getting into on road but caught deciding to get a TC or WGT. Is that something to not ponder about?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JamesArluck

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
"less things to figure out"..."cheaper to run"
Funny, those were two of the main reasons everybody gave when we moved from 10th scale pan cars to TC's...
JamesArluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Personally, I love 4wd/Touring Cars, BUT I fully acknowledge that the class is in decline. In fact, we have not had a Sedan race in 4-months at Mike's, right about the time the economy went in the crapper.

Yes - WGT is picking up in interest, and yes they are more simple and cheaper to race than a Sedan.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
Tech Master

So the saying goes: "The Grass Is Always Greener on the Other Side of the Fence"

With makers dishing out new chassis quite often, I can see why people will start to look at alternatives.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
Tech Regular

I think right now no one has enough money to spend on these new TC's, upgrades, etc. nor the patience to work on a one, so they get a pan car instead to save money and time. I also know it is frustrating getting your cars fixed, finding what is tweaked, changing your setup, etc, but that is just part of racing. I know TC's are in a decline right now but i think in 2 years or so when the economy picks up, people will get back into TC.
#88driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
......................................__................................................
.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,..........................................
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll..................................
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll................................
..............lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,...........................
...............lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
................llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-..*`*;..)..........................
.................,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/...................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*....................
................|.../.../.../.*`..............................)....)¯`~,..................
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---........../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../....................
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|......................
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,...................
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..................
This. Why must it get started in tc too?
Old 12-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Is WGT really emerging? I haven't really seen it. Seems like VTA is the class that is really starting to take over.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
Tech Master

Funny how the WGT class emerged in all this economic recession. Racers are becoming more "omfg, I can't spend a dime more on TC so let's start a cheaper class" It's like people selling their SUVs and buying hybrids.

Or perhaps there needs to be a change in RC. Like how F1 lost Honda and talks of bringing the cost of racing down, the RC world needs to follow the same path? The beginning to the RC bubble burst?
Old 12-10-2008, 05:25 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
Musta taken forever to type THAT in.

Three words...

Ready... Steady... Confetti!!!! (gonna need a new one of those)
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

funny to hear all this. Here in my area in SoCal the emerging class is still TC-based. RCGT. Its similar to VTA but you can use new cars too, not just muscle cars (cant use race bodies though, thats a given). Spec tire, spec body rules. and extra points for added realism. VTA is nowhere to be found here and TC is pretty healthy. I keep hearing people complaining that TC is in decline but i just dont see it. Not in my area. I will acknowledge that outside SoCal it is indeed in decline, however. Im just happy i live where i live then

oh yeah, pan cars are nowhere down here too (at least on our asphalt tracks we usually race at). They may make a comeback with a recent track opening, but so far...nothing (and has been nowhere for a long time). WGT = Pro10 doesnt it? Havnt seen any of the local racers with a 10th scale pan car. Oh well. Mini coopers and F1s are more popular.
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:34 PM   #13
mok
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mok Send a message via Skype™ to mok

I doubt you'll see the likes of Marc Rheinard win a Worlds with a bunky WGT, VTA or Oval car :P

4wd sedan / touring car is here to stay IMHO
Old 12-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

TC + Rubber + BL + LiPo + Carpet > Pan Car + NiMh/3.7v LiPo and RX pack + Foams
Old 12-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #15
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I feel that TC's are here to stay if for no other reason than the fact that they are a must in places that dont have a carpet track or a tennis grade asphalt track.

Do I think the TC side of things need's some revisions? Heck yeah! I think VTA and other Spec programs are a good start.

The thing is though as times change and money becomes tighter, I believe that parking lots tracks will become more and more common and the indoor facilities will become less common. This is will drive the longevity of TC's.
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote