R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Spec tires for 1/12th?

Since spec tires are working so well in WGT what do you guys think about running Lilacs all around on 1/12th cars? I bet it would work.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Since spec tires are working so well in WGT what do you guys think about running Lilacs all around on 1/12th cars? I bet it would work.
Tire costs is the only thing keeping me from running 1/12th. If a spec tire brings the price down, I say do it.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

not a bad idea, I haven't run 1/12th because of the battery deal. Waiting for someone to spec out which lipo / motor combo will be "the one" for Super stock. I can run Lipo in my sedan which makes life easy, no cycling packs. Tires really aren't that big of a problem for me personally. Its nice to have tires as a tuning aid. and at 20 bucks a set its more affordable than sedan.. IMO

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I like the idea of spec tires in rubber touring classes, where you had to try a bunch of rubber compunds, and then try different rim/insert combos to get things really dialed, costs got crazy quick. Premount spec tires solved that nicely.

I don't know if I'd want to see spec tires in 1/12 unless you spec the foam compound only and not the rim... I'd prefer to be able to run the rims with the offsets I like rather than have to work around that issue. Also, I have a difficult time getting the Jaco Prism rims to run true in my truer, so I always seem to get some wobble with them. The offset on the Prism fronts narrows the front of the car more than I like, I can shim them out, but then I wind up dropping shims all the time and losing them every time I take the tires off...

For these reasons I usually run Parma tires on my 1/12. If the spec rules covered the foam compound, but every manufacturer could sell them on their own rims, then I'd have no problem with it at all.

I do have to wonder if this is really an issue... no one I know in 1/12 scale racing has ever mentioned it... I think 1/12 tires are inexpensive enough to not really worry about it.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
I like the idea of spec tires in rubber touring classes, where you had to try a bunch of rubber compunds, and then try different rim/insert combos to get things really dialed, costs got crazy quick. Premount spec tires solved that nicely.

I don't know if I'd want to see spec tires in 1/12 unless you spec the foam compound only and not the rim... I'd prefer to be able to run the rims with the offsets I like rather than have to work around that issue. Also, I have a difficult time getting the Jaco Prism rims to run true in my truer, so I always seem to get some wobble with them. The offset on the Prism fronts narrows the front of the car more than I like, I can shim them out, but then I wind up dropping shims all the time and losing them every time I take the tires off...

For these reasons I usually run Parma tires on my 1/12. If the spec rules covered the foam compound, but every manufacturer could sell them on their own rims, then I'd have no problem with it at all.

I do have to wonder if this is really an issue... no one I know in 1/12 scale racing has ever mentioned it... I think 1/12 tires are inexpensive enough to not really worry about it.
Well all manufactures would make a spec similar to Lilac. I completely agree that Parma rims are much better.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
Tech Champion

On our asphalt track we have 5 different car types running 4 different tire combinations in 1/12th to get their cars to handle properly. If everyone were forced to use the same tire compound only the car that works best with that compound would be competitive and soon we'd only have 1 car type and less cars at that since most people would drop the class rather then have to buy a new car just to stay competitive.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
On our asphalt track we have 5 different car types running 4 different tire combinations in 1/12th to get their cars to handle properly. If everyone were forced to use the same tire compound only the car that works best with that compound would be competitive and soon we'd only have 1 car type and less cars at that since most people would drop the class rather then have to buy a new car just to stay competitive.
What he said...

1/12 cars are more twitchy than WGT cars and weigh less at the same time. Tires are not the issue in 1/12, it's the batteries.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Considering that a full set of tires only costs $20(for Jacos anyway) I really don't see how setting a spec tire will be helpfull.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
What he said...

1/12 cars are more twitchy than WGT cars and weigh less at the same time. Tires are not the issue in 1/12, it's the batteries.
like i said, batteries lol.. anyone have a 3.7 volt saddle pack for the s120? lol

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
I'm probably going out-on-limb here, but WHO said that spec tires are working well in WGT????? First off, you have to true the tires down to practically nothing so the car don't traction roll (when there is traction) Next up is you have to make the set-up unlike any other car with any combination of compounds. Like most everyone else said "why change 1/12 scale?"
Old 12-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdude View Post
I'm probably going out-on-limb here, but WHO said that spec tires are working well in WGT????? First off, you have to true the tires down to practically nothing so the car don't traction roll (when there is traction) Next up is you have to make the set-up unlike any other car with any combination of compounds. Like most everyone else said "why change 1/12 scale?"
Seem to work ok from what Ive seen. Yes you have to true them but I don't care what foam class your running you are trueing tires if you are racing, atleast racing competitvely. Plus, they don't wear at all. Most guys at Cleveland ran one, yes 1 set of tires all week. As far as setup, well, I don't have anything radical setup wise on my car. Sorry I'm totally contradicting your post in every way possible but I'm just stating facts.
-Donny Lia
lmiracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
This is very true.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmiracing View Post
Seem to work ok from what Ive seen. Yes you have to true them but I don't care what foam class your running you are trueing tires if you are racing, atleast racing competitvely. Plus, they don't wear at all. Most guys at Cleveland ran one, yes 1 set of tires all week. As far as setup, well, I don't have anything radical setup wise on my car. Sorry I'm totally contradicting your post in every way possible but I'm just stating facts.
-Donny Lia
Not every place is Cleveland...might have worked well there but not likely to be the same on other tracks.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default why?

Spec tire in 1/12? I'd like to see 1/12th left alone --> so, no way to the spec tire idea. Wanna race a spec class, go race VTA, WGT, or Minis. But, how about we leave 1/12th alone.
jpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm not totally against a spec tire for the stock class. The biggest problem that I have with the spec tires is that no two brands are the same. Getting the exact same rubber between brands isn't going to happen.

The other question is why? It's not like tires are all that expensive in 12th and pink rears with purple or double pink fronts last a very long time for club racing.

Spec tires would need to work as good or better, last as long or longer, and be as cheap or cheaper. It's a tall order.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote