R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
I agree, between lipo, rubber and spec foam tires, and to some part brushless, I think we need only 2 classes for each scale, lets say:
spec class for those who want to build a RTR cookie cutter
and a racer class for those who still enjoy the hobby aspect of this HOBBY!

Always hatin'....

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

From a rubber tire TC perspective...

Spec tires made us work on our cars and our driving. Throwing tires at a problem is a band aid (IMHO). I personally think spec tire racing levels the playing field and will really allow the better drivers/mechanics to show.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)
Default speck tires

we half to remember that Donny ,Josh, and the 1fast dude can drive anything out there and be fast . but do we need a speck tire i say let the local tracks and roar make that decision , for everyone that wants to post on here you are going to get a different answer for this just like with everything else ex (motors, cars) and all im hearing is it would be easyer to travel heck how many tires do you need to take , most times you can get them at the track or from a fellow racer so really what are we fighting over . guys i thought this sport was suppose to be fun lets keep it simple and leave well enough alone were not racing for money here
CRC Gen XL / Xray 09 , t2r pro / CW sprint and CW rocket / Kyosho evolva m3 / Tekin rs / Futaba 4pks / Trinity / Dirtburners thanks Bill / 1/8th racers of Toledo / Trex chassi / Summit Race way / Stateline
LAZER SPEEDWAY where all else IS just a parking lot / Hobby Stop West Raceway
2056dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
From a rubber tire TC perspective...

Spec tires made us work on our cars and our driving. Throwing tires at a problem is a band aid (IMHO). I personally think spec tire racing levels the playing field and will really allow the better drivers/mechanics to show.
in that train of thought.... why not fixed gear ratios and spec tires, then it is really all about set up and skill?
You are defined in life by how you respond to defeat!
hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
I agree, between lipo, rubber and spec foam tires, and to some part brushless, I think we need only 2 classes for each scale, lets say:
spec class for those who want to build a RTR cookie cutter
and a racer class for those who still enjoy the hobby aspect of this HOBBY!
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:31 AM   #36
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdude View Post
Ah yes.......the ALMIGHTY Donnie, maybe we should start a "ask Donnie" thread...................

Now .. lets all listen to the CHAMPION....................
I didnt know that was Eli..not that it changes my post any. I guess me and Eli can agree to disagree ;-)

Hi Eli ;-)

-Donny

btw- Im not the one that said you should be listening to me.. i was just putting my .02 in..which everyone on these forums seems to be just so good at. I could careless if you listen to me or not. Just stating facts from what I've seen, not only from Cleveland but from Vegas, and from my local track. I dunno..3 different tracks same result guess i was just seeing a trend, but what do i know.
lmiracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #37
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

No problem. And yes we can agree to disagree
Old 12-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #38
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Leave 1/12 alone.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy View Post
in that train of thought.... why not fixed gear ratios and spec tires, then it is really all about set up and skill?
fixed ratios isn't a bad idea.. harder to police... might cause higher tire bills cause guys like me would have a shit load of tires trued to larger diameters

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic

Much good debate here. My 2 cents...

No, not spec tyres in 12th. I can't think of any electric class I've driven where having the wrong tyres is the key ingredient to a crap day at the races. Yes, control tyres work in TC because there are tyres that do the job on surfaces that have quite common levels of grip, using cars that can be tuned extensively to make the tyre work.

Having the wrong tyres in 12th is a situation that often can't be tuned around, and where the carpet types, additive used and level of grip go way beyond what can be tuned through the chassis.

This doesn't appear to be the case in WGT, where the Jaco control tyres allied to a relatively benign chassis make for a great drive, almost whatever the track surface.

IMHO, if you want low cost, the fun and simplicity of a pan car, and controls on tyres and motors, then WGt is the class. If you want a challenge, and have to spend (a little) more to get it, then 12th is the class. To put control tyres in 12th would be like sticking a set of sedan tyres on a Ferrari and expecting someone to enjoy the drive!
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

12th is not broken. It works well. The tire combinations have pretty much worked themselves out. Don't try to fix something that is not broken.

As far as the gear ratio bs is concerned, go race vta, that class was created for you.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Not to offend anyone, but a spec gear ratio in a foam tire class would be a really bad idea, unless you also spec the motor and speed control, the speed control settings, and the tire diameter.

I think timmay summed it up most eloquently... 1/12th scale is not broken.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Lets use spec Transmiters also for 1/12th... lol

All this spec talk is getting out of hand...
The only one happy about spec tires would be the chosen suppliers for big races..
Old 12-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #44
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

NO to spec tires for 12th.

I say spec chassis, how about CEFX only. OR would that offend anyone?

At least leave 12th alone.
jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #45
Tech Master

Spec tires in 1/12?? Depends on what 1/12 class....

13.5 WGT is slow enough and with WIDE enough tires to really get away with a lot tire wise. I've driven them and you can run most the track nearly wide open.

In 1/12, I would say only the 17.5 class could/should be a spec tire. Any other class is too fast and too tire dependant depending on the track & traction level. There is no way I would bother trying to run a 1/12 mod or 10.5 car with Lilac rears.

The problem I always have with people (especially ROAR affiliated) proposing rules and things like this as they only look at the relative class they race or think they know something about (not meant to be a shot at anyone in particular). Everyone has to look at the big picture from all standpoints on what's best for the class and racers who participate in it.

My .02... Spec is fine for a 1/10 tire 13.5 4-cell and slower. Spec is fine for a 1/12 tire 17.5 and slower... Anything above that is going to make the class to difficult to drive/set-up thus killing the class....

By the way, I am also a strong opponent to this because of the new 1/12 BODY rules that are coming. There is soon to be a 1/12 GBS spec for the bodies to try and make them look more realistic. With this, I think we are going to loose a lot of downforce and raise the CG of the bodies quite a bit (can you say traction roll!!!)..... Just to give you one dimension - Rear wing/side dam height max is 72mm... My 1/12 body from the Champs was around 76-77mm if I remember correctly..... Again, people need to look at the big picture (and know the details) before they can try to push for something that will potentially damage an otherwise pretty healthy class (especially in comparison to TC)......

Later all!! Time to pack for Fastcats!!