R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #1261
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Eric, when are you going to West Coast next? I race for KO Propo and would be more than happy to help you set up your BMC. I'm planning on coming out on Monday, President's Day, to get some practice in.

Let me know if that works for you.

Rich.
Rich Panganiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #1262
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Thanks for the responses guys. BTW I should mention I am running this in a Kyosho RB5 buggy, I had searched and found this thread here in Onroad. Macdude if you want to sell that USB connector LMK. Rich- I will be going on Saturday but I can probably make it down on Monday too. I would appreciate your help! Can I just take it over to KO to get the upgrade, they're over in Gardena, right? I tried to call them today but I got the answering machine.
Eric Tomczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #1263
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Tomczyk View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. BTW I should mention I am running this in a Kyosho RB5 buggy, I had searched and found this thread here in Onroad. Macdude if you want to sell that USB connector LMK. Rich- I will be going on Saturday but I can probably make it down on Monday too. I would appreciate your help! Can I just take it over to KO to get the upgrade, they're over in Gardena, right? I tried to call them today but I got the answering machine.
Eric, yes KO Propo is in Gardena. Robert Morris runs the show, send him an email at [email protected] and he can let you know when he's in the office. If you don't get it setup by by the weekend, PM me and we can make arrangements to meet t the track.

Btw, you'll love the speed control. Still one of the smoothest and most tuneable units out there.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #1264
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
I will PM you when I find it. I just noticed last night that I am missing one of my KO BMC's . The USB was at home so that should be easier to find.

Also I agree with Rich this is still a great ESC. I just wish they had a little more drive frequency. I had been running it in the buggy class because it felt way more positive than any other brushless esc. I like how the old brushed systems felt and this system was the only one that I found that I could make it feel like the old brushed systems. Over the last year or so I have been slowly moving away from that feel as the low speed drive has gotten better with the other manufacturers.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #1265
Tech Master

Well I finally got to run it at the track yesterday. It's a great ESC, good feel and all but I need to spend some time on the drag brake. AFAIK drag brake is only adjustable with the laptop/usb adapter so I just used the Tx trim and deal with the dead spot in the throttle for now. Also worried about the LVC. Still looking for a USB adapter.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #1266
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Well I finally got to run it at the track yesterday. It's a great ESC, good feel and all but I need to spend some time on the drag brake. AFAIK drag brake is only adjustable with the laptop/usb adapter so I just used the Tx trim and deal with the dead spot in the throttle for now. Also worried about the LVC. Still looking for a USB adapter.
Eric, swing by West Coast tomorrow, I'll have my netbook and USB adapter.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #1267
Tech Master

Sorry I didn't make it down to WCRC on Monday, hope you didn't feel stood up Rich! I did manage to get my hands on a USB adapter and also got another BMC coming. I'll take a shot at programming this one myself, never done it before, looking forward to the challenge. A friend recommended the Tebo buggy profile, can I DL that from a website or does it have to be created from scratch?

Edit- ok so I am having trouble getting the software to work. One of my laptops os windows 7 64 bit, after reading this thread I guess the KO software will not work with it. My other laptop is vista, but the CD-rom does not work. Can I download the software from the web?

Last edited by Eric Tomczyk; 02-23-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #1268
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Sorry I didn't make it down to WCRC on Monday, hope you didn't feel stood up Rich! I did manage to get my hands on a USB adapter and also got another BMC coming. I'll take a shot at programming this one myself, never done it before, looking forward to the challenge. A friend recommended the Tebo buggy profile, can I DL that from a website or does it have to be created from scratch?

Edit- ok so I am having trouble getting the software to work. One of my laptops os windows 7 64 bit, after reading this thread I guess the KO software will not work with it. My other laptop is vista, but the CD-rom does not work. Can I download the software from the web?
Software should be on the ko america website. Thats were I downloaded it for my netbook.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #1269
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

You will need to run the software as admin to work. Or in compatibility mode. Also the USB adapter is a com port. So you will need to see which com port gets assigned to it. That way when you open the software up you will be able to select the correct com port. Otherwise the software will not work.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #1270
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude View Post
You will need to run the software as admin to work. Or in compatibility mode. Also the USB adapter is a com port. So you will need to see which com port gets assigned to it. That way when you open the software up you will be able to select the correct com port. Otherwise the software will not work.
I understand how to find out which com port, I can toggle compatibility mode, but run the software as admin? what does that mean?

EDIT- it seems to be loading up with Vista, I'll be able to hook it up later and give it a try.

Last edited by Eric Tomczyk; 02-23-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #1271
Tech Master

I am extremely frustrated right now.

I don't understand what make everyone on this thread say KO has great customer service. I have called three times, no one answers the phone there. I left two messages, no call back. I tried pressing "0" to see if I could get out of the voicemail system, nope. The replies here are the most help I have had (which I appreciate, BTW) which is pretty sad.

I just sold all my LRP stuff because their CS sucks, but at least they answer the phone. I guess I made a mistake?

Is email the only way to communicate with KO? Am I just not computer literate enough to get this ICS adapter to work, or are the instructions lacking? I can't get the driver to install. I download it from the site, it shows up in my documents. When my computer looks for it, it can't find it. WTF???
Old 02-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #1272
Tech Master

Ok, so KO finally called back, the person on the phone was very patient with me, and I finally got it working. However, I still think this could be a lot easier with better instructions. About 50% of the information I needed was in this thread, rather than the instructions or their website.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #1273
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Ok, so KO finally called back, the person on the phone was very patient with me, and I finally got it working. However, I still think this could be a lot easier with better instructions. About 50% of the information I needed was in this thread, rather than the instructions or their website.
Glad you got it working. What were you missing? I had zero issues installing and getting it going so I am curious to know what the hang up was.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #1274
Tech Master

The fact that the software on the CD-rom doesn't work with windows 7, I spent about three hours trying before I searched this thread and found that. I guess there is a driver patch on their website, but the problem is it's not labeled as such. I realize that windows 7 came out after the ESC but they could update the website to reflect new info. Then the whole "create a folder thing", it wasn't clear enough (for me, at least). Then I got hung up on the part in the instructions where it says to put the ESC in communication mode, because it doesn't even matter or is even needed. If there is a troubleshooter section I didn't see it, there are so many ways for the link comm to fail, where do you start when you need to fix it? The instructions that came with the adapter are not as complete as what is on the website.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #1275
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Hey guys I just got hold of an Orion Vortex Race which is supposed to have v1.5 loaded on it, is there a way I can check this and also can anyone tell me how to put it in blinky mode. I have the USB adapter and got the KO 2010 Manager loaded on my Win7 64bit machine last night so I can set it up as needed.

Thanks