Ko BMC Speedo

Old 03-28-2011, 02:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theisgroup
It's just like reving a real car's engine to redline while in neutral. All the power that the motor produces has no where to go, so it is applied to internal components of the engine. So on a brushless motor that is rev'd to it limit, it applies all the power to the rotor.

When the rotor explodes, I am sure the sensors don't read correctly. So the Speedo may fire poles in the wrong order. When that happens you could fire a single pole in both directions meaning +/- and -/+. Or the back end generated from a frozen rotor could be enough feedback to really damage the Speedo.
This happened to me under geared motor rotor went and took out the fet/fets in the speedy.
Had to push the car as the sensors would not register, was ok once moving bit got hot.
I do love this speedy though so smooth or can be made so aggresive.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by synap2012
p.s. sent esc to KO I will here about what was wrong in a few weeks
You're used to dealing with OTHER esc mfr's if you're thinking a few weeks. Unless you sent it by pony express you'll probably know in a few days. KO has EXCELLENT turn-around, only gets delayed if Robert is on a trip to Japan for more product stuff or out at an event.

Scottrik
Old 03-28-2011, 07:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
You're used to dealing with OTHER esc mfr's if you're thinking a few weeks. Unless you sent it by pony express you'll probably know in a few days. KO has EXCELLENT turn-around, only gets delayed if Robert is on a trip to Japan for more product stuff or out at an event.

Scottrik
+1 TOP NOTCH SERVICE
Old 04-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry if someone has already asked this but:

I have the Orion Race Spec version of this ESC and I had a few questions. Is the Orion version equal to the mod BMC esc or the 1.5 version? I ask this because I am going to be running in a 17.5 class and I want to figure out if there is a way to update my ESC so I can get the extra timing. Also, does this ESC have any form of boost? I need to choose between a super-stock and stock class Thanks for any help!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheModTurtle
Sorry if someone has already asked this but:

I have the Orion Race Spec version of this ESC and I had a few questions. Is the Orion version equal to the mod BMC esc or the 1.5 version? I ask this because I am going to be running in a 17.5 class and I want to figure out if there is a way to update my ESC so I can get the extra timing. Also, does this ESC have any form of boost? I need to choose between a super-stock and stock class Thanks for any help!
You can access more timing by downloading the newer version of the BMC software. This is not the same as others timing software however and will add tons of heat compared to the RPM based timing advance. It is great for zero timing stock racing. You might need to send it to KO to get the update so the LED blinks in neutral to signify zero timing mode.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:28 AM
Tech Adept

So I'd need to send it in to KO for the new software? Thanks for the info So we have no form of boost on the ESC? I don't really understand what kind of timing you are talking about.. sorry, I normally just get an ESC and set it to a pre-made setting and then just worry about everything else so I'm fairly ignorant to their abilities..
Old 04-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

So I'd need to send it in to KO for the new software? Thanks for the info So we have no form of boost on the ESC? I don't really understand what kind of timing you are talking about.. sorry, I normally just get an ESC and set it to a pre-made setting and then just worry about everything else so I'm fairly ignorant to their abilities..
Ok if you have version 1.5 firmware ( this is the software in the device that actually runs the ESC) Then through the BMC manager program and an interface link you will be able to adjust each profile. There are 5 pre programed profiles on the ESC at anyone time. You can adjust the drag brake and switch between profile with the button on the ESC, but you will not be able to adjust the other parameters unless you have the link and a PC with the BMC Software.

Now for timing. The KO ESC will add timing to the Motor when you hit full throttle on the radio. The timing amount is not well communicated in the software so I don't know what the actual values in degrees are but the older BMC manager had 6 steps the newer one has 12. This variable can be adjusted without additional firmware if you already have v1.5 on the ESC.
Because this is not a dynamic form of timing it adds considerable heat to the motor, almost like advancing the physical timing on the endbell. It does make the motor spin faster, but is very inefficient in its operation so you get lots of heat.
Timing and boost are usually two ways of applying timing advance. Some of the newer controllers only do it one way and they call it boost. Others apply it two ways and call one timing advance or boost and the other turbo. So lets start with the basics. These ESC's allow you to choose and RPM range that you can apply a certain amount of dynamic timing advance. You then can select the number of degrees you want to advance and it will apply the timing linearly from the starting RPM to the End RPM. So if you choose 20 degrees of timing from 5k-20k rpm then for every 1000 rpms the ESC will add 1.3 degrees of timing. For turbo or boost or whatever they call it, there is usually a setting that denotes how much more timing will be added on top of the original amount after a delay of either rpm or full throttle is reached. Some controllers are capable of added a total of 65 degrees of dynamic timing to the motor. All this comes at a cost of heat and lost torque. So ESC have really effiencent algorithms and keep things pretty cool. But it is always possible to melt the motors.

As I said before the KO is good for Zero timing. But in the super stock class probably can not keep up.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Tech Adept

Okay, that all really helps A LOT! Thanks Now I just have one more question.. If I were to run in a non-timing class, wouldn't that mean I don't use any of the timing on the ESC anyways? Or is it referring to the end-bell adjustments?
Old 04-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Okay, that all really helps A LOT! Thanks Now I just have one more question.. If I were to run in a non-timing class, wouldn't that mean I don't use any of the timing on the ESC anyways? Or is it referring to the end-bell adjustments?
Zero timing is referring to the ESC dynamic timing. Unless your club requires a special motor endbell adjustment is allowed.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:50 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i am curious about a 1/12 application, a mod class is starting up near me. there are 2 BMC models currently available the 1.5 and mod.

it seems like the 'mod' version is the 1.5 but just has a fan and heatsink.

it isn't clear if there is more of a difference which makes the most sense for a 1/12 application

thanks for any insight.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by macdude
Zero timing is referring to the ESC dynamic timing. Unless your club requires a special motor endbell adjustment is allowed.
Thanks a ton for all the help Looks like I have everything straitened out!!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by avs
i am curious about a 1/12 application, a mod class is starting up near me. there are 2 BMC models currently available the 1.5 and mod.

it seems like the 'mod' version is the 1.5 but just has a fan and heatsink.

it isn't clear if there is more of a difference which makes the most sense for a 1/12 application

thanks for any insight.
According to the KO people there is an internal difference with the fets, it also includes a capacitor and the default profiles are specifically for mod. Asking about it on here its all about making the throttle response better for the lower turn motors.

If you have the link and the computer software then you can still adjust the parameters.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:48 AM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by macdude
According to the KO people there is an internal difference with the fets, it also includes a capacitor and the default profiles are specifically for mod. Asking about it on here its all about making the throttle response better for the lower turn motors.

If you have the link and the computer software then you can still adjust the parameters.
ok, so is the 'mod' the better choice for 1/12?
it seems like the mod version may be too tall with the heatsink, or does it fit without issues?

i missed this on the ko website, in the software support page:
'' 2010 ROAR Carpet Nationals & 2010 IIC 1/12th Mod TQ & Champion
-Used by facotry support driver Josh Cyrul to win the above races.
-Profile uses the new BMC 2010 software manager for 1S voltage.
-Must use BMC power cap and modified version of BMC for the best result."
Old 04-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by avs
ok, so is the 'mod' the better choice for 1/12?
it seems like the mod version may be too tall with the heatsink, or does it fit without issues?

i missed this on the ko website, in the software support page:
'' 2010 ROAR Carpet Nationals & 2010 IIC 1/12th Mod TQ & Champion
-Used by facotry support driver Josh Cyrul to win the above races.
-Profile uses the new BMC 2010 software manager for 1S voltage.
-Must use BMC power cap and modified version of BMC for the best result."
Yes it seems for mod 1/12 scale the mod version would be better. I don't think the unit actually comes with the heat sink or fan attached. I would look at some of cyrul's setup pictures to see if he is running either one. In 13.5 though I believe cyrul ran the tekin rs pro because of its boost/turbo capabilities.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Ran the speedo for the first time in TC mod and I love it. I think I'll try to get 2 more for my offroad buggies. Anyone have the downloadable settings that were on the KO PROPO website or knows where I can download them?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.