R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Stock Motor Brushes (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/25903-stock-motor-brushes.html)

TC321go 10-13-2003 05:45 AM

Stock Motor Brushes

I'm looking at getting the most power out of my stock motor for a big race - and was wondering what people were using in their 27t stock motors in terms of brushes?

(I'm not concerned about wear - just power!!)

Any help/experiences would be great!

thanks in advance

dway100 10-13-2003 07:40 AM

For the most power it is hard to beat Putnam's. I have run them for several years now and can't find anythng better. If you want to buy them in bulk, rc4less.com has them in bags of 10 pair. Only problem is that you normally run green on positive and blue on negative, so you have to buy 2 bags.

popsracer 10-13-2003 09:09 AM

Stock Motor Brushes

TC321go;

For EPIC based Stock Motors, 'Putnams' all the way.

My ATLAS (Matrix) based Motor(s) however, did not like them at all.

You can run Green/Green with the Putnams, slightly more power and Com wear, than the Green/Blue combination.

Good luck and go win it for us !

Shiloh 10-13-2003 10:45 AM

When I run Putman brushes in stock TC class, my motor runs awesome for one run. Then I have to recut the comm. The Putman brushes (even the blue ones) seem to chew up the comm pretty quickly. How often are you guys cutting the comm when you run Putman brushes?

Bubblestc3 10-13-2003 02:47 PM

what motor do you have in mind for the race?

holycow 10-13-2003 03:57 PM

reedy 767s with a slot do real nice.

ovalnator 10-13-2003 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Shiloh
When I run Putman brushes in stock TC class, my motor runs awesome for one run. Then I have to recut the comm. The Putman brushes (even the blue ones) seem to chew up the comm pretty quickly. How often are you guys cutting the comm when you run Putman brushes?
I get about 6 runs on my greens....i run them until my T35 doesnt shut off anymore, usually right around 5 or so runs. Then i re-serrate them. I get about 15 runs per set of brushes.

Ive also had good luck with reedy 767s and sureshot serrated hollows. I run the 767s with a hole, and sometimes with a vertical slot

Bobby Flack 10-13-2003 05:27 PM

Putnam's are the fastes and to make them even faster don't change the brushes after one run. Cut the comm, clean the brushes and put them back in.

popsracer 10-13-2003 07:27 PM

I'm getting about 12 runs between Com cuts, and re-serrate in between. It usually only take about .002 to clean up the Com each time. I replace the Brushes when they are noticeably shorter.

Mind you that this is on EPIC Stock Motors that seem to use a harder Copper for the Com than other brands.
My Matrix Motors ran slower with the Putnam's and needed the Com cut after a few runs.

TC321go 10-14-2003 03:47 AM

thanks for the great response guys :)

Bubblestc3:
The motor I'm looking to use is the Monster Pro...

Any further thoughts on springs for the putnam greens?? Do Generally stiffer or weaker springs work well? (I know this is track dependant - just wondering what you've found works in touring car stock?...)

again, thanks for your help!

:):):)

Tag 10-14-2003 07:52 AM

hi is Reedy MVP a epic based motor ?

popsracer 10-14-2003 07:54 AM

Originally posted by TC321go
thanks for the great response guys :)

Any further thoughts on springs for the putnam greens?? Do Generally stiffer or weaker springs work well? (I know this is track dependant - just wondering what you've found works in touring car stock?...)

again, thanks for your help!

:):):)

In a light Car like 1/12th stick with the Red/Green Springs that come with the "Pro" versions.

In a heavier TC, Red/Red Trinity Springs provide more Power and Torque in the Monster Stock.

popsracer 10-14-2003 08:39 AM

Stock Motor Brushes

Guys;

Just to add that I've spent many hours Dyno (Robitronic) and Track testing the Putnam Brushes in my Motors. Out of the most popular brands and compounds, I have not found anything that works better in EPIC Motors than 'Putnam's'.
Best power with minimal Com wear and Brush life is excellent.

*NOTE*: this applies to EPIC based Motors ONLY.
My testing with other brands has been limited, but so far I have not seen the same positive results in other Motors.

Tag 10-14-2003 10:02 AM

hey pops, do you know is the Reedy MVP stock epic based ? thanks

popsracer 10-14-2003 10:12 AM

Originally posted by Tag
hey pops, do you know is the Reedy MVP stock epic based ? thanks
'Trinity' Motors are EPIC based, sold to many tuners who relabel them.

I think all Reedy Stock Motors are 'Yokomo' based. Only had one the 'Rage' and never got it to make decent power.

The "Base" manufacturer will be Stamped and/or Molded into the Can or Endbell.