R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-13-2003, 12:10 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Default Considering getting into electric, need some advice on chargers

Im considering getting into electric because the track I run my nitros at in the summer is already closed for gas and Im looking for somthing to keep me busy during the winter months, not that Im not busy enough already. First of all I know this has been asked many times but I cant find a thread that answers all my questions. I dont have much electric experience or knowledge FYI. Im looking for a competitive charger that I wont outgrow anytime soon. This charger will be used for charging 3300 packs (I dont know what type yet because Im an electric noob and havent bought them yet) and reciever packs for my nitros. I have a budget of $200 or less (less would be better) and unfourtinately I dont own a power supply so Id either need a cheap power supply or a charger that has a built in powersupply. Id rather get a cheap power supply than a cheap charger. My friend is selling a Novak Millenium pro and Novak power supply for $150 they've only been used like once or twice. Would this be a good deal? Id like to hear any suggestions and may require extra explanation due to my lack of electric knowledge.

Thanks
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 12:15 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Bubblestc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Bubblestc3

ok, the millenium pro is a good charger, and should suit all your charging needs, there is also the reedy quaser/quaser pro(that does not require a power suply) which is about 180 brand new

just a quick question, is your $200 budget for the charger only, or all electric stuff to race?(pretty sure that it is for just the charger, but just checking)
Bubblestc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 12:16 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking power /charger..

yes its a very good deal and if you dont buy someone else will ,, .. have fun racing.!!
Old 10-13-2003, 12:22 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01
Default Competition Electronics

The Millenium/PS is a good deal but I gotta represent; Competition Electronics "Pit Bull" is a rock-solid no fail gonna get you through raceday charging NiMh3300's. Hit the link below grab one for $135 and then go to integy's site and grab the 10A SHE power supply for $65. That's $200.

www.competitionelectronics.com

www.integy.com
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 12:44 AM   #5
Tech Addict

The budget is just for the charger.

I was actually looking at the pit bull but according to tower it only will charge up to 3000mah, unless that is just an assumption because 3300s werent around when they wrote it
Old 10-13-2003, 12:49 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Correct AE racer, that was just an assumption because 3300's weren't out at the time.

AE Racer, you are practically buying a Turbo35/GFX minus the discharge features, the cycle features and the motor mode. This is a nice charger and yes it will charge 3300's, I promise you.

Hey, look at this link below and scroll to very bottom of the page to "specifications", it says cell types: NiCad NiMH, capacity of the battery doesn't matter when charging, charge amperage and peak detect matters.

http://www.competitionelectronics.com/PitBullManual.pdf

Last edited by webspinner; 10-13-2003 at 12:54 AM.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 12:54 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Bubblestc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Bubblestc3

so choices are

pit bull
millenium pro
i guess the quaser pro

all of these are great chargers, to some it is all about loyality to a company(if you like novak then you would say novak etc.) but i would chose once more people post their views about what charger to get, although you can't go wrong with any of these, best to keep your options open.
Bubblestc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 01:04 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Im definitly considering the pit bull now and that power supply proudwinner reccomended seems like a great value, no matter what charger I buy. I really like the LRP Pulsar, but I seems way out of my price range, anyone know of a place where you can get it cheap?

Im beginning to change my mind about the my friends Millenium because I havent seen it for a long while and hes not really the type of person that takes good care of his things.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:04 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Default charger

have you seen the MRC superbrain 969 pro?its only $99 and it comes with the power supply already...it can charge 2 packs at the same time or discharge in one channel and charge in the other one....i think its pretty good for the price....
church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 01:10 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by proudwinner
http://www.competitionelectronics.com/PitBullManual.pdf
I'll be sure to pick up some saftey glasses if I get one.

"Always wear safety glasses when operating the Pit Bull charger."
Old 10-13-2003, 01:12 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Default Re: charger

Quote:
Originally posted by church
have you seen the MRC superbrain 969 pro?its only $99 and it comes with the power supply already...it can charge 2 packs at the same time or discharge in one channel and charge in the other one....i think its pretty good for the price....
Its a good price but it only charges up to 4 Amps and from what Ive heard thats not enough to for most racing packs.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:30 AM   #12
Tech Adept

lrp pulsar competition.

has features the pitbull doesnt have
motor break in
powering comm
never false peaks - at least on me
10amp discharge (better than nothing)
lifetime warranty - let's see you beat that.
versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 01:31 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Default aeracer -->

Check your PM
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 03:37 AM   #14
Tech Elite

The LRP Pulsar is nice, so if you can find one for the proper price...

Of the choises mentioned, which fit the budget, I would definately choose the Pittbull.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:21 AM   #15
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to sausage_link

I'm also in the same boat as AE racer. I looked at the Superbrain 969 pro and thought it was pretty good but was told its pretty crap. I was told it has problems with false peaking. But i really like the charger becuase it can charge NiMH, NiCd, Li, and Pb.
I think i will use all of those features. It can also charge 2 batts at same time, it comes with a power supply.
Heres the website
here

Can i have some insite please
sausage_link is offline   Reply With Quote