R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-20-2003, 01:18 PM   #91
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to lilshortyc3

Wut's up Rich...you haven't been online for a while. Well n e ways wut charger do you have in mind. The Integy 16x9v6 looks ill, I wish I can get it. If you are planning to get a DC charger, the M. Pro is nice and so is the LRP Pulsar. My friend has the M. Pro, it's really compact and convenient. It has better feautures than mine other than no discharger or cycler. Aite, I'm out later If I wuz in your position, I would get the Integy 16x9v6...
lilshortyc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:05 PM   #92
Tech Addict

Thats pretty much what Im planning on doing, its just that it really costs way to much and is too big, but I guess Ill save up because I dont want to have to buy a new one any time soon. The M Pro dosnt seem to have as many features and has no discharger, yet isnt that cheap so Ive pretty much ruled that out. I like the pulsar, but the discharge is useless and its going to cost alot more than the 16x9v6 once I get a power supply.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 07:01 PM   #93
Tech Addict

Sorry to bring this up again, Ive decided on either the 16x9v6 or the 16x5v6. Id much rather get the 16x5v6 because its much smaller and looks cooler, but Ill have to get a cheapo power supply if I get one, because I wont get a warrenty if I order it from HK and the cheapest US price I can find is $189 at speedtechrc. I could also get it for $180 directly from intergy, but Im not sure what their shipping rates are and their website isnt great. Would this power supply be alright, it looks like people in another thread made it work, I dont think its a switching power supply though. Does anybody know if the intergy chargers have fuse protetion? Just incase I hook somthing up wrong. For only $20 more than that (including shipping) I could get the 16x9v6 which has an internal 14A switching power supply. Intergy makes it sound like their 14A SHE power supply is built into it, which is good considering it costs $140 seperately. Does anbody actually own the 16x9v6 and know if it false peaks due to slightly lower than normal AC voltage? And if you own one can you please tell me what you think of it and what the pros and cons are. Id definitly go for the 16x9v6 if it werent for the size and unremovable power supply. My only reasons for wanting seperate units are that it seems like it would be much easier to carry around two smaller units than one big one, the 16x5v6 looks cooler (though not important), and the fact that if I ever want to get another charger Ill have to buy another powersupply. Although it sounds like it might be possible to operate a second charger off of the internal power supply, because it says its powerful enough to operate the indy dyno, and since the charger only charges up to 7A its only using half of the 14A power supply's power (I think 14A is its average, because it says it has an 18A peak). So what do you guys think?
Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I never expected so many helpful replies!

edit: I forgot to add somthing, is a 20A discharge enough so that I wont need a sperate discharger? because thats part of the reason I chose these chargers.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 09:14 AM   #94
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey AE,
haven't been back to this thread, sorry....I kinda feel like I abandoned you.
Anyway...just to clarify. I DO NOT have the 16x9v6. I have the 16x9 which may now be discontinued as I only found it in the Integy site under the "out of stock" category. The other unit I have is the 16x7 Pro....which is also in the "out of stock" list. Both are ac/dc units.
A 20 amp discharge is ok BUT most (if not all) matched packs are being discharged at 30 amps. take a look at the website or call your Battery company to see how they feel about a 20 amp discharge. Different matchers have different views. I personally don't discharge my batts on race day(NMH batts only). I do discharge them once before the next race day at 30 amps using my Turbo 35.
Did you take a look at Integy's tech forum?? You may pick up some good info.
These chargers aren't any bigger than some others out there. The 16x9 is the biggest. 9in. w x 71/2in deep x 31/2 high. Thats about the same as a CE Turbo 35 or GFX.

Last edited by Evoracer; 10-25-2003 at 09:51 AM.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 11:34 PM   #95
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to rinkrat99

Hi all,

Great thread! I just wanted to add my two cents since I am also in the market for a new charger to replace my Duratrax Mini Pulse. I think what I discovered tonight was that the peak detection for Duratrax cannot handle the new cells. I believe this charger was made and designed to meet the original rule of thumb for determining peaks (10 mV per cell for NiCd and 0 mV per cell for NiMH which was the 0 dv/dt method). Since then cell matchers are recomending 30 mV and up to 50 mV for 6 cell packs. I noticed while monitoring the packs V during charge that the Duratrax was struggling with the measurments and had trouble determining what was a NiCd or NiMH and what is a peak.

I detemined the only way to make sure you have trouble free charging is to set the delta V properly and I will go with either the PitBull or LRP Competition Sport.

I will use the Duratrax as a second charger. It works fine when a pack starts to reach peak after the initial flat charge a cell has.

Question for all is why has noone mentioned using a car Battery, tractor battery, motorcycle battery as the DC source for the charger?

Thanks
rinkrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 03:10 AM   #96
Tech Elite

There's no reason why you can't use a 12v cell as a power supply. Best kind to get is a "leisure" battery for caravans etc., which is designed to handle a constant, relatively low, current. Car batteries are built to handle a sudden "cranking" load to turn a cold engine over, and tend to suffer if used as a charger power supply.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 03:33 PM   #97
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

could anyone tell me if this charger has dual charge function, and could hook up to the computer?
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 02:09 AM   #98
Regional Moderator

anyone?
Old 11-29-2003, 08:45 AM   #99
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Disaster: that charger has 3 charge modes, discharge batteries to any level at any rate from .1 amps to 20 amps and cycle batteries. No motor run. Does not display runtime seconds, internal resistance and average voltages. It will hook up to a computer (though I have never done it). It will charge, discharge or cycle only one battery pack/cell at a time. Hope this answers your question.
429racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 09:05 AM   #100
Tech Addict

I use a CE Turbo30 turboflex. It's been my charger for some time now( I do have an IONIC as a back-up). But Iam considering getting a PRO TRACK. From what I seen on another thread, it is an awsome battery management system. Will even monitor individual cells in a pack as you charge them. That is something that CE does not offer yet. Althought, Pro Track has to be ordered from abroad, no US distributor yet. But they say the customer service is outstanding as well.
jeepnyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 09:19 AM   #101
Tech Addict

You can find out more about Pro Trak on their website:

http://www.pro-trak.co.uk/
jeepnyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 11:24 AM   #102
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 429racer
Disaster: that charger has 3 charge modes, discharge batteries to any level at any rate from .1 amps to 20 amps and cycle batteries. No motor run. Does not display runtime seconds, internal resistance and average voltages. It will hook up to a computer (though I have never done it). It will charge, discharge or cycle only one battery pack/cell at a time. Hope this answers your question.
thanks 429racer, i assume that the one they are showing at GM's site is the newer version of the charger right?

where could you get the software to hook up to the computer?

thanks again
Old 12-01-2003, 04:04 PM   #103
Tech Regular

DEFIDENTLY buy the Novak Mil. Charger, and power supply.. its the BEST you are going to buy for 150! Just check and see if everything works before u buy it.... Lata!
FriedDiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 04:11 PM   #104
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Super Steve

who's the old guy?
Super Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 07:19 AM   #105
Tech Master

Protrack is awsome battery management system although I seen 2 out of 15 has failure (just completely dead for no reason).

Stay far far away from Yokomo BCSD, it might works OK on winter.. seing 6 of them malfuction out of 10, most of the time was when in standby mode, amp reading is not 0

Pulsar Competition is very decent one and at a great price. See 2 malfuction (blank screen) out of 30.

....still waiting for futaba CDR5000, looks promising.
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote