R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-14-2003, 09:50 AM   #46
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
You ever thought that the false peaking is caused my power spikes ?? or something along those lines... If it only does it on AC then thats pretty probable.
I do assume that is why it false peaked. But at my track where 30 other people are running chargers, soldering irons, power supplies, etc. at the same time ( like most tracks ) it became a problem that would not go away unless I used a power supply. I did occasionaly see it false peak at home where I have very clean consistent power too.
stumper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 09:56 AM   #47
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Intermision Send a message via Yahoo to Intermision

You could probably get a UPS(uninturuptable power supply). for your charger.
Intermision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 10:43 AM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

AEracer if you want Email me at [email protected] if you dont mind used and in great condition.
I have a CS Spacecharger Pro,Integy 16x5 and a pulsar
For something with a power supply built in I have a Reedy Quasar Pro.
If other people email me please understand AeRacer gets 1st dibs being this is HIS post.
Les
Old 10-14-2003, 08:46 PM   #49
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to the shoe

Go with Texracer and the reedy Quazar pro it will do what you need and more i too am looking for the right charger and have been racing on and off for 12 years and the Integy and Reedy are the ones for you!
the shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 05:43 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Default Internal or external power supplies?

Usually, the built in power supplies is of a poorer quality than externals. This shows up at race meetings with many people. Thus the AC outlet is heavy loaded. The result is a sligthly lower AC voltage. And often the built in ones give up in this case.

Another advantage of an external power supply, is that you can keep, if you upgrade the charger at a later point.

But of course, it saves space with a built in PS.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:08 AM   #51
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

anyone have problems with their pitbull not giving enough punch? i have an old pitbull and it still works great, but it doesnt deliever enough punch to the pack, my friend is telling me to send it back to CE for a firmware upgrade. anyone had this problem before? is CE customer service good?

thanks
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 05:12 PM   #52
Tech Addict

Default Re: Internal or external power supplies?

Quote:
Originally posted by Cole Trickle
Usually, the built in power supplies is of a poorer quality than externals. This shows up at race meetings with many people. Thus the AC outlet is heavy loaded. The result is a sligthly lower AC voltage. And often the built in ones give up in this case.

Another advantage of an external power supply, is that you can keep, if you upgrade the charger at a later point.

But of course, it saves space with a built in PS.
This is why I think Im going to go for a charger with an external power supply, at my track loads of people are running chargers and the voltage is definitly lower than normal, even on my crappy duracrap charger I noticed that It took longer to charge a pack at the track than at home and it also had more false peaks at the track. And since someone said they actually had a problem with the charger false peaking because of this, I think Ive ruled it out.

I have some great news though I found the CDC v6 for an awsome price, its only $135 here!!! The same price as the pit bull. Is the 20AMP discharge thats built into this chager sufficient to cover my discharging needs so that I wont have to buy an external one? Im going to go with a small powersupply for budget reasons, would there be a noticable diffrence in getting a 14A power supply over a 10A power supply? Because the 10A is $20 cheaper. Well actually according the the Intergy sie there's an $80 diffrence in price. This is the 14A power supply.

Thanks again for all the help

Last edited by AE Racer; 10-17-2003 at 05:24 PM.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 06:40 PM   #53
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Wow, lots of good info being offered here.
I'll throw my 2 cents in too.
AE....it seems you're leaning toward a seperate charger/supply system. Personally I love CE chargers but I also use 2 Integy chargers for those times when I don't want to lug the T35 and a 30 amp supply around.
Here's something to consider and I think someone vaguely mentioned it. Most of us get a higher amperage charger (25-30 amps) so we can power additional gear like a lathe. I hate to see you spend money on a supply that will ONLY support the charger. If you're not planning on powering a lathe or anything else, You would probably be better off getting an ac/dc charger like the Integy 16x7 or a used 16x9. In the long run you need to be thinking about multi use equipment. If you start collecting small output power supplies, you'll get a back ache trying to cart all your stuff around. I think your budget and basic needs should be steering you to an ac/dc unit.
BTW, regarding the discharge info in your last post......If you have a 10 amp supply..your discharge will be limited to a max of 10 amps. Just because the charger CAN discharge at 20 amps doesn't mean you'll be able to utilise it if your supply is limited.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 06:45 PM   #54
Tech Addict

Wouldnt a 14A power supply be able to supply power to a charger and a lathe? I dont currently own a lathe, Ill have a friend cut my comms for me until I get one.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:55 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Yep, sure will. Unless you're trying to discharge at an amperage equal to or greater than the supply amps. If you're charging or the charger is off, then you can get power for another accessory, like a lathe.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:56 PM   #56
Tech Addict

I guess I could get this radioshack power supply, Ive heard it works for RC purposes, too bad I didnt get one when they only cost $60. What you say dosnt really make sense to me though because the Intergy 16x7 which has a built in power supply can discharge up to 30A and I seriously doubt it has a 30A power supply built into it.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:19 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Thats actually a pretty good point !!! Anybody got a good explanation as to why a fairly small charger can have a 30 amp capability but a 30 amp power supply is pretty heavy and large???? Am I wrong regarding discharge amps??? If you only have a 10 amp supply, will the discharge amps be limited to that 10 amps???
Old 10-17-2003, 11:40 PM   #58
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

anyone actually bothers to answer my question?
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 08:42 AM   #59
Tech Elite

Hey !!! somebody give us some help and answer my last question.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:01 AM   #60
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to minicooper Send a message via Yahoo to minicooper

Quote:
Originally posted by Evoracer
Hey !!! somebody give us some help and answer my last question.
There a different kinds of power supplies. The AC/DC chargers usually have what are called switching power supplies. I have a regular power supply that supplies 20 amps that weighs a ton a friend of mine has a switching power supply that supplies 27 amps and is about 1/3 the size of mine, I think he has a Samlex power supply.
Also when you have a 10 amp power supply the constant supply will be lower than 10 might be 7 or 8 constant amps and go up to 10 amps for very short periods of time (peak)
minicooper is offline   Reply With Quote