R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-13-2003, 05:53 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Havent got a Superbrain myself, nut I've heard several times, it got heat problems.

I think the Duratrax Intellipeak Digital is a better solution: 6,5 amps charge rate, digital readout with volt, amps and capacity. NiMh and NiCd. 2 or 10 amps discharge. Externally small and light PS included. I think it's 100$.

I've used one for 3 years now, and it do fine. Great value for money.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:40 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

CDC V6.0 charger

in our LHS, it cost about $160. youll need a power supply but its worth getting one. i can cycle all of my packs (receiver packs, 6 and 4-cell race packs, single cell igniter batt, park flyer batteries, etc.) with this thing. the only downside is that the blue backlight sometimes goes off.

1 to 10 cells / 50 to 6000mah cells / 01. to 7 amp charge rate / 01. to 20 amp discharge rate / 0.30 to 20 mv/cell cutoff / up to 9 times cycle / trickle on-off / 10 battery info memory / internal resistance display during charge or discharge / 4 charge programs - normal peak, fuzzy logic (discharges the pack first before charging), partial peak (good for storing nimh cells), and boosting (partial discharge first then fast charging)

while your running your electric RC, you can cycle your nitro receiver packs, starter box battery (if youre not using lead acid), and single cell glow igniter battery
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 06:54 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

Hi Ae racer maybe I can help you here with my knowledge of chargers.

1st off stay away from SuperBrains if even half way serious about racing.Dont charge high enough and they heat up even with the new 969 containing fans.Main problem here is not charging high enough.
The duratrax line while DECENT isnt what a person thats serious about racing wants and here's the reason why.NO adjustable delta peak.You cant adjust the charger to suit the TYPE of cell you may be charging.Plus the Duratrax line while LOOKING like Integy ISNT.

The Novak Mill,N Power package is nice if your NEVER going to need a 2nd charger.N power doesnt have enough amps to run 2 chargers.
When it comes to DC charger's you have the following choices.

CE Pitbull-Hands down the BEST DC charger there is.Never false peaks and will even charge stubborn cells with the long lockout.
(Downfalls-Doesnt Discharge or have motor run feature)

Novak Millineum-Nice charger and same as the CE Pitbull it doesnt contain a discharger or motor run feature.I have heard alot of problems with these false peaking.Expecially if you decide to DEADSHORT any cells.

CDCV6.0 or Integy 16x5-AWESOME charger,Discharger and Cycler.This is a better buy than most around the $160.00 range.
Discharges up to 30 amps on some models,20 on others.
Integy unit has VESC technology for keeping up or conditing cells.

LRP Pulsar-Nice charger but if you have a 4 cell and a discharger it's WAYYYY to expensive compared to these others with same feature's.

CS Spacecharger Pro-Charger is Distributed by Schumacher USA and is a great lil charger.No discharge or Motor run but it has one feature the others DONT.A temp probe.Very nice.I havent had or heard any false peaking problems here.

AC/DC chargers for under $200.00 that will allow you to run 1 charger and not lug 2 seperate pieces around.
Integy 16x7 pro is a GREAT charger,Discharger and Cycler.
Reedy Quasar Pro is pretty much the same thing.

Again I stress the edge in NIMH is the adjustable delta peak cutoff.Since there were 3 players in the 3000 mah market all 3 cells had different settings.There are 2-3300 cells and they as well have different settings.Plus make sure you purchase something charging at or over 6.0 amps.

Goodluck with your purchase and have fun in electric.You will love the plug and play idea instead of messing with settings all the time.Have a good winter.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:18 AM   #19
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have the old version (clear blue) of pitbull and i just want to know what is the difference between the new (black) one and the old (clear blue) one.
thANK
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:59 AM   #20
Tech Addict

you can modify an old computer power supply to suit your needs

a resistor and a capacitor is all you need

i use computer power supply + pitbull, never false peak
the only down side is the power supply is only good to 12V, so can not charge tx packs
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 10:04 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Default Need some advice on chargers

AE Racer;

With a $200 budget, I recommend the Reedy Quasar Pro or Integy equivalent. (AC/DC, 7+ amps, 20A Discharge)

For D/C only Chargers: LRP Pulsar Pro (my top choice), Novak Millennium Pro, CE Pit-bull are all good choices.

Unless you race at a Track with power, you will need a PS. My personal advice is to go with a Rivergate Bull Dog PS. They come in many different ratings and you can buy the 30amp unit for less than $50 more than a "N"-Power.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 10:11 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Quote:
Originally posted by disaster999
i have the old version (clear blue) of pitbull and i just want to know what is the difference between the new (black) one and the old (clear blue) one.
thANK
No differance, just a new case.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 01:26 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by TexRacer
The duratrax line while DECENT isnt what a person thats serious about racing wants and here's the reason why.NO adjustable delta peak.You cant adjust the charger to suit the TYPE of cell you may be charging.

CS Spacecharger Pro-Charger is Distributed by Schumacher USA and is a great lil charger.No discharge or Motor run but it has one feature the others DONT.A temp probe.Very nice.I havent had or heard any false peaking problems here.
True about the Duratrax. That's the only reason for I will upgrade when I got the money. But still, it have done a good job for me.

There's several CS Spacecharger Pro around here - they seems to perform perfectly.

An option could be to modify an computer PS supply. This will save you money for a better charger. Eventually you can but a better PS later, but several people do fine with these modified PS's. If interested, here's a link to a guide .
Old 10-13-2003, 01:41 PM   #24
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

I also recommend the CE Pitbull. I haven't had any problems with mine.

The safety goggles thing may be funny, but it's just there to cover thier rears if someone blows something up while charging. I know it's funny, but people sue for anything these days.

CE isn't a big operation, the building they work out of isn't as large as I had imagined, but it obviously gets the job done. It's also family owned and operated, nice people.

They are about 15 minutes from my home.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 01:55 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Just to back up the people shouting about the CDC V6. I have a Pro-Trak as my main charger and got the CDC V6 as a back-up.

After using it for a few weeks it's now my main charger, does 95% as much as the Pro-trak at less than half the price, it's compact, looks cool, charges ni-cads & Ni-Mh perfectly (never false peaks).

If you are getting some decent 3300s you will need a discharger to keep them in good condition with a Pit Bull or Milennium this would be more expense, with the Pulsar the 10A discharge is not high enough and I think it looks like a toy anyway.

As with everyones post this is just an opinion, you buy what you like. You sound like you know what you are talking about.
JohnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 02:29 PM   #26
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by proudwinner
No differance, just a new case.
i rather they keep the clear blue case then!

haha..if im using my pitbull, i have to have about 10 fuses with me everytime i use it!! i always keep blowing them up! haha
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 04:50 PM   #27
Tech Addict

First of all, Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it.

The CE pitbull seems very popular and is priced very cheaply compared to the others so its my #1 choice right now. Has anyone besides disaster999 had fuse blowing problems, or does that just have somthing to do with his name.

I still like the pulsar alot and thanks to Trevor I found a place sells it for $155, but from what Ive heard so far it seems like the discharge feature isnt useful and I guess I could rip up an old 1500 pack to make a 4 cell pack for motor break-in, but do you really have to break-in motors? I remember hearing somwhere that the instructions for the monster pro specifically say not to break it in. If Im going to need a discharger to take care of the cells it would be great if someone could suggest a budget priced discharger.

Ive pretty much ruled out the Millenium now because it dosent seem all the popular and its lowest charge rate is .5A and Im not sure if thats low enough for reciever packs.

As for the power supply, Its very unlikely that Ill ever get a second charger and Id rather get a good charger than a good power supply. Does any have experience with the 10A Intergy SHE power supply? Its the cheapest one That Ive seen so far.

Anybody think Id be better off going with an AC/DC charger like the Quasar pro? The only advantage I can see now is that it can discharge and cycle cells. Is cycling a feature that is used alot? I seems like the Quasar pro might be a good deal, because I wont have to buy a discharger and its cheaper than the pitbull and a power supply. What are the advantages of the pit bull over the Quasar pro? The only disadvantage that I see of the quasar pro is that it only charges for .5-6.5A.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 04:58 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Still think you are missing out by dismissing the CDC V 6.0

have a look HERE
JohnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 05:22 PM   #29
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Ive pretty much ruled out the Millenium now because it dosent seem all the popular and its lowest charge rate is .5A and Im not sure if thats low enough for reciever packs.
The Millenium is a good charger, it hasn't been mentioned here because there are so many other choices. On a bonus note, Novak has some of the best customer service. The charge rate of .5A is fine for receiver packs. I've used to have a Millenium, but recently sold it to try the LRP.

Quote:
If Im going to need a discharger to take care of the cells it would be great if someone could suggest a budget priced discharger.
Team Orion has a digital discharger which can discharge at 30, 25 and 20 amps. I use a 20amp with a 5.4v cuttoff. I got mine for about 65 bucks. Check out www.teamorion.com for more info. You could always get a Dean's Bulb discharger and a cutoff device as another option.

Quote:
but do you really have to break-in motors? I remember hearing somwhere that the instructions for the monster pro specifically say not to break it in.
You don't have to break in a motor, but for racing its the best way to get your motor to run at its peak.

I'm currently using a LRP Pulsar Competition, and i've found it to charge very well. Yes, the discharge amp is low, but I like its motor-run feature for running lathe motors and breaking in brushes. And since I use it for that feature the most, I probably will go ahead and try the CE PitBull as a second charger.

As far as whether to get an AC/DC unit or a DC unit only: Some folks don't mind carrying several different chargers/dischargers to the track. Some rather have an all-in-one unit. Its all a matter of personal preference.

Take popsracer's advice and get a Rivergate Power Supply, its well priced and it can run a lot more components than the N-Power. Not to say that the N-Power is bad, but again, there are plenty of alternatives to it.

Good luck

Buddha
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 05:22 PM   #30
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnA
Still think you are missing out by dismissing the CDC V 6.0

have a look HERE
Looks like a great charger, but once I add in the money for a power supply its out of my pricerange by alot, I would spend more but Im also buying a car and the other things needed to get started in electric.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote